Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake discs

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Brake discs

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:44 pm

Is it just me (well, my cars, really...) or are brake discs not lasting as long these days?

In the days when pads were asbestos-based, we rarely had to change discs. The discs never warped, and the wear on them was minimal. Fast forward to the 2010s, when I had my E46 330d, and I used to reckon on a new pair of discs for every two sets of pads.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to replace the rear pads on my F25. When I checked the thickness of the discs, they were down to 18.95mm. As they have a quoted minimum thickness of 18.4mm I had to change them too. Both pads and discs were previously replaced together just over 3 years ago.

I checked the fronts, and the situation is going to be the same there - by the time the pads need replaced, later this year, the discs will be well over half-way through their life as well. Again, both pads and discs were replaced together three years ago.

Thoughts, please, gentlemen? Oh, and I don't use cheap parts, either.
Last edited by StuBeeDoo on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Brake discs

Post by X5Sport » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:47 pm

It is indeed frustrating to have to replace them. That being said our E46 is still on it’s originals all round at 75k miles & 17 years of age. My X6 has had both fronts changed due to warping and sticking callipers (both!). The rears are OK at 65k miles/12 years. I’ve only changed the pads on both cars once and we’ve had both from new.

I’ve always used Pagid as they’re one of the OEM fits.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Brake discs

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:08 pm

X5Sport wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:47 pmI’ve always used Pagid as they’re one of the OEM fits.
I've been using Ferodo pads, with their discs if available, for the last 10 years or so. If I can't source Ferodo discs, I've been using ATE.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Brake discs

Post by Leslie » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:41 pm

My fronts on my e70 have done 37k and the car says 50k left, the rears have done 27k and 60k left :driving: Brembo discs and pads :D