Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DPF light on this morn.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

DPF light on this morn.

Post by Leslie » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:56 pm

Well got a Foxwell NT530 for bmw only not generic and it has reset the DPF service life ( car x5 e70sd 2009) and I requested a regen to see if it would work and it did after approx 20 miles , it was regenning ok before as the pipes are clean anyway . The warning light does not appear after 10 mins anymore so happy days as it was getting on my nerves and keep motman happy :rofl:
Unfortunately soot and ash cannot be measured with this tool which is a bit of a letdown but you can't have everything and it's done the job I bought it for so can't complain. :D
It can also check the back pressure which was 7 mbar I think at idle after regen and 30 at 2000 rpm so all good.
It can also so a smooth running controller test to check your injectors so id say its a useful piece of kit to have.Mine were all in the -0.5 to +0.5 range so working fine. The DPF service life is 250,000 km which is 155,000 miles but mine came on at 162,000 miles.

All 6 glowplugs and the controller have codes now ,I notice a lumpiness on startup for 3 secs or so and rev counter bouncing but starts at -5 no problem so I can confirm on this generation they are not needed for regens ,maybe on the next generation they are I dunno. My opinion at this mileage they are just too risky too attempt a change with breakage quite likely.

There is also a code for throttle valve which might be to do with that quacking noise of the egr pressure controller which has recently started but that will do for another day . :driving:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DPF light on this morn.

Post by X5Sport » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:21 pm

Maybe the glowplug / regen came in with the N57 engine?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

DPF light on this morn.

Post by Leslie » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:55 pm

X5Sport wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:21 pm Maybe the glowplug / regen came in with the N57 engine?
Its quite possible ! too many people saying it for it not to be a thing ,I'm glad it's not in this case otherwise id be in bigger bother , the thermostats though definitely are crucial and must read above 75c according to the scan tool as well as 1/4 tank of fuel for a regen to proceed. Mine read 86c I think it was so all good there :thumbsup:
A lot of changes with the N57 and none aided long term reliability imo but that's progress for you :headbang:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DPF light on this morn.

Post by X5Sport » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:27 pm

I fear you’re right. The B-series engines seem to be faring better. Whoever thought having the timing chain at the back of an engine needs some educating on how not to do things! Still, at least BMW are using chains. I’ve seen too many wrecked engines due to snapped cam belts.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

DPF light on this morn.

Post by Leslie » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:03 pm

Some are even using belts running in oil now ie ford , that surely is not a winner :headbang:

IanP

DPF light on this morn.

Post by IanP » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:49 am

Leslie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:03 pm Some are even using belts running in oil now ie ford , that surely is not a winner :headbang:
They don't snap as a rule, but generate loads of belt rubbish which blocks up the oil pump suction filter...

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

DPF light on this morn.

Post by Leslie » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:00 pm

IanP wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:49 am
Leslie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:03 pm Some are even using belts running in oil now ie ford , that surely is not a winner :headbang:
They don't snap as a rule, but generate loads of belt rubbish which blocks up the oil pump suction filter...
Designed to self destruct with aging then ,you gotta wonder who signs of on these ideas ,it seems long term reliability isn't something that has any value these days, maybe they were lasting too long !
I read somewhere kia keeps engines and boxes in every dealership as they replace them so often under the 7 year warranty ...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DPF light on this morn.

Post by X5Sport » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:33 am

I suspect it’s all about profits. That and ‘life’ not meaning life as we expect it, ie when the car dies after long service, but as long as the warranty lasts. Maybe that’s why so few car manufacturers offer long warranties?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

DPF light on this morn.

Post by Leslie » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:54 am

VED not helping life expectancy now early 2007 x5 e70 now £675 :o , mine up to £395 , government not helping inflation with 10 % rises are they :fuelfire: