Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another quandary - mirrors this time

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:50 pm

The mirror covers on my F25 are past their best - the driver's side got clipped again yesterday by an impatient driver travelling in the opposite direction an a narrow Cornish lane. I've been wondering about new ones for a while. But, as is often the case with me, I've been pondering if I should dare to be a bit different.

Currently, the covers are body colour. I've replaced the boot badge (OK, so you can't see it at the same time as the mirrors..........) and the side repeaters with gloss black items. I'm tempted to have the new mirror covers done gloss black to match.
...........Or, should I get the covers painted satin gunmetal, to match the wheels, rather like some newer BMWs have Ferric grey mirror covers matching their wheels?
...........How about satin silver?
...........Or just stick with good old body colour?

I'm really just thinking "aloud" here, but all comments welcome. :D
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:41 pm

I missed your post at the time, what did you decide? I have often thought, though done nothing about it, to change mine from body coloured to either the silvery aluminum coloured X6 M50d caps or the aftermarket winged type in gloss black.Having looked in some detail the mirror has to be quite comprehensively dismantled to get the cover off, which is probably why I've not yet done this 🤔

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:15 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:41 pmwhat did you decide?
I haven't, yet. Other stuff has been getting in the way. I'm torn between aluminium and gloss black.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:34 pm

I was in the vicinity of my favoured bodyshop today and called-in for a chat. They can prep. and respray the mirror covers, matching the colour of the wheels - or any other metallic colour I choose - for £100 the pair. High-gloss "piano" black would be £80 the pair.

"Satin black would be a lot cheaper...."! .....But I could do that myself with a Halfrauds rattle can. I'm thinking to do the latter, then if I don't like it have them done in gunmetal, to match the wheels.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:23 am

Gloss black 👍😉

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:23 amGloss black 👍😉
I have to be honest, I may well go for that option in the long run. I've already started a theme with the model badge and the side repeaters. I might do the grilles as well.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu May 11, 2023 4:22 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm
sapphireblack wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:23 amGloss black 👍😉
I have to be honest, I may well go for that option in the long run.
.............And I did.
IMG_0001[1].JPG
IMG_0001[1].JPG (122.93 KiB) Viewed 10901 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu May 11, 2023 5:54 pm

Look very nice 😎