Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2004 X5 With A Constant Vibration

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:29 am

Only as above suggestion. I think you mean drive shaft?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:27 am

I did have vibration on the E53 4.6is which started at around 2.5k rpm (road speed around 70+) It turned out to be a failing bearing on the transfer case out put to the front drive shaft. BMW were not interested in selling parts just a new transfer case complete exchange (Big surprise not) Found a replacement from Quarry Motors (less than £200) no vibration any more. Out of curiosity I stripped the old case and pulled it apart pressed the shaft and bearing out, the part number on the bearing was Meter bearings in the USA $35 plus shipping. re-assembled it with a new chain gaskets and fluid. Sold it to a guy who brought a 4.4 E53 really cheap that had a suffered from wrong tyre set up, he is still driving it daily.

Kuzzie

Post by Kuzzie » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:12 pm

Got an mot this week..... Picked up OSR subframe bush worn..... Let's see if it could have been the issue 🤞

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:18 pm

Years ago I had a vibration including at idle, took the auxiliary belts off and no change, noticed what looked like oil on one of the engine mounts so changed them. Cured, I would mention that the one with oil was fine still stiff to move the the other one which looked fine was completely shot. I changed them on the off chance as I couldn’t think of a way to definitely test. Don’t like throwing parts at a problem but in this case it worked.