Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How cold is your aircon?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
H4MP

How cold is your aircon?

Post by H4MP » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:30 am

I mean I had issues for a few years and literally changed every component on it, no one could seem to diagnose it.

Literally spent over £2k, the items I changed

2 x compressor
Condensor
Pressure switch
Engine fan - this alone was £700

In the end it took a competent indie mobile mechanic who used to work for Almondbury BMW. I didn't even call him for aircon it was for glow plugs, and once done he goes by the way I changed your aircon wire to the compressor, it was burnt out.

Anyway I went off topic,using the aircon today and was 29C. It is ice cold, it is that cold that everyone complains, is this normal?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

How cold is your aircon?

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:17 am

Mine is cold that cold i turn it off sometimes for a short time as i feel i need my coat on lol.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

How cold is your aircon?

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:38 am

It doesn't have to be cold enough to generate complaints ☺️🤔. My wife has her side of the car notably warmer than my side 😀

StuBeeDoo

How cold is your aircon?

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:39 am

I have to be honest, I only use mine if it's really hot outside, or the car has been standing in the sun for hours. I did use it on Saturday afternoon, and it cooled the car down nicely to a comfortable 19deg.

Having said that, it must be a couple of years since I had it gassed so it must be time to get it done again.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

How cold is your aircon?

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:52 am

If it being used regularly then it should be checked every couple of years. The seals need the lubricant included in the gassing to stay good.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

How cold is your aircon?

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:29 am

In my non BMW, the AC is never off, though the recirculation button is always set to on. Automatic climate control in a car is for me a wondrous facility. I'd never buy a car without it.

Lobster Pot

How cold is your aircon?

Post by Lobster Pot » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:22 am

Every motor I’ve owned is always on and set to 19 all year round and that’s comfortable for me it’s going in at end of month for air con service as I don’t know when it was done last for what it cost I generally have them done every 2 year

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

How cold is your aircon?

Post by Leslie » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:41 pm

Had mine on a few days ago after a very hot day and it seemed to take quite a while to get going but I wasn't moving ,it was regassed about 4 years ago.I cycle it every few months to keep the seals lubbed up .Its rarely needed this side of the water in Norn Iron but I'm mostly driving my old passat not and typically its Aircon has never worked now I need it :headbang: I was told the compressor is duff and its not worth spending money on. Sitting not moving ain't no fun as its 25c today :rofl:

H4MP

How cold is your aircon?

Post by H4MP » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:50 pm

On the Passat I would get the wiring looked at first before you change the compressor if past experience is anything to go by.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

How cold is your aircon?

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:49 am

Was thinking of re-gassing the new to us 320d but i would jinx this good weather lol.
Might just do it on Saturday morning as i get free use of the machine at my old m8's garage as long as i do it myself.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

How cold is your aircon?

Post by Leslie » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:21 am

H4MP wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:50 pm On the Passat I would get the wiring looked at first before you change the compressor if past experience is anything to go by.
Cheers its had quite a few other faults to deal with so not even had a look but I believe in the b6 passat the centre drive for the pump strips it's splines but not looked yet. I know it hasn't worked in about ten years so unlikely to be serviceable now. Once I get some other annoying things sorted like rear door lock and electric window dead I may have a look :thumbsup: