Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vehicle Tracking Systems & 3G

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:39 pm

Just a heads up for those with tracking / anti-theft systems fitted to any of your vehicles. Many still use 3G technology and that is due to be shut down across the UK by the end of 2023. Vodafone are supposed to be discontinuing their 3G service at the end of this month (June), others are being progressively shut down.

If you have a 3G (GSM) only service then it may suddenly stop working. Those on 4G (LTE) are (or should be) fine. 2G (or 2.5G as it is now) should also work for a while given pretty much every smart meter fitted until very recently is camped on 2G via the Smart DCC network.

Worth checking that yours is OK, or consider needing a new system. The same will apply to any older mobiles that pre-date 4G - my elderly parents have such a mobile.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:00 am

Need to look into this - I have a Tracker on mine but would hope it was newer tech given it was only installed in 2019.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:58 am

Thanks for the heads-up. Don't tell anyone, but none of our cars have trackers.
I'm not aware that I have any devices on older than 4G, but if any suddenly stop working, I'll deal with it when it happens.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)