Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMWx3 EGR code p0401

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
RoryLafferty

BMWx3 EGR code p0401

Post by RoryLafferty » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:33 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:26 pm Glad you’ve got there at last. I think more than a few of us have inadvertently caused other issues accidentally and ended up chasing our own tails. I know I have! :oops:
Hi, I keep getting the dreaded engine light and P0401 code reappear.

I have fitted a new EGR Valve and Cooler and the light and code pop back up within ten miles of clearing.

Did you conclude that cleaning the intake manifold was the actual means by which you managed to get rid of the p0401code?

Any help would be gratefully received as it is driving me mad.

Thanks

RoryLafferty

BMWx3 EGR code p0401

Post by RoryLafferty » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:34 pm

wizard-58 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:31 pm :D Ok update have finally cured all problems ..the code p1286 equates to code 41E2 abgasruekfuchrsteller,ansteuerung Exhaust gas recirculation actuator, control..( egr solinoid ) ..going back over all that Ive done in the last couple of months .I now believe I actually cured the original fault at the begining ..but because of my own over cautiousness I replaced parts that I could get to whilst I could believeing this would save time .I infact introduced extra problems 1 the damaged gasket ( this had to be done as I had removed manifold ) 2 fitting a new solinoid .the EGR problem (fault code 4501) was obviously caused by loss of pressure from inlet manifold . once I had cured this I got the 1286 code but that has is stated earlier is a generic code that can send you all around the planet ..it was only when i got a replacement k-dcan cable and had INPA running correctly that i got the 41E2 code pointing directly to the EGR solinoid I swapped it back out and put in the original ..cleared all codes and the car has done over 500 miles since that includes a few short Drives and one of over 50 miles straight ..multiple starts and stops ..ive tried to upload copy of inpa diagnostic print out but it wont let me .I believe I got the cloud of black smoke because i was running with egr unplugged at one point ..im getting no codes or problems with DPF .Im going to run a professional fuel system cleaner through it just as a back up ..if any body else has similer probs i hope putting down my experiances helps them out and I m quite willing to answer any questions if i can .
Hi, I keep getting the dreaded engine light and P0401 code reappear.

I have fitted a new EGR Valve and Cooler and the light and code pop back up within ten miles of clearing.

Did you conclude that cleaning the intake manifold was the actual means by which you managed to get rid of the p0401code?

Any help would be gratefully received as it is driving me mad.

Thanks

wizard-58

BMWx3 EGR code p0401

Post by wizard-58 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:50 am

copy of reply in PM .
Hello Rory .my sincere apoligise for not getting back sooner .Not been on for a while due to illness .
my problem was solved after cleaning the manifold But I believe the actuall issue was due to an air leak possibly the fact that one of the inlet gaskets was damaged .
i will have a look back over my notes and see if any thing springs back to me and let you know
regards .