Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

No acceleration past 60mph and Manifold cleaning quetion

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:11 am

Hi all,

I just got round now to sorting out some of the issues I have on my e53 3.0D following a snapped serpentine belt that also damaged the temperature sensor attached to the intake pipe(further down by the intercooler).

One of the issues I have had over the last few months is that the car would not accelerate past 50mph (after warming up) no mater how much I put the foot down. I have always just assumed its because of the missing temperature sensor in the intake and a very unclean egr valve. I have now taken the intake manifold and egr valve off. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at just incase the mentioned items are not where the issue lies.

I have cleaned the egr valve but not sure what is the best way to fully clean the intake manifold. 3x500ml cans of egr & carb cleaner and its still just as dirty considering most of the stuff just evaporates off. Is there a household cleaner solution? I was tempted to get something like oven pride ?

Also is there a way to clean as much grime off the intake holes on the engine block?

Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:05 am

Have you run any kind of error scan to see what it logged? If so, what showed up?

Be very careful using household cleaners as they can cause corrosion of the metal parts. I know my independent offers walnut blasting to clean intake manifolds. I’ve no idea what he does to clean the intake ports on the head though….sorry.

Is the little vacuum reservoir on the drivers side inner wing connected up? I seem to remember that being a cause of performance issues on here in the past. Without it you won’t have turbo control.

Thread - viewtopic.php?p=179287&hilit=Vacuum#p179287
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:39 pm

Thanks X5sport, I'll stick with the carb cleaners.just ordered 4 more cans from eco. I'll use we wipes to clean the bits I can see around the ports.

I'll check the hoses as well.

I'll dig out the bespeak scanner as well

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:09 pm

looks like a temp sensor a good clean did the job. Thanks