Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Satnav update weirdness

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Satnav update weirdness

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:50 pm

Last year, about this time, I updated the nav in my F25. The next time I wanted to navigate to a location I had been before, the postcode and street were no longer in the database. OK, I can probably forgive that one - "errors and omissions excepted" and all that.

A few weeks ago I updated again. Last Friday, on a journey I hadn't done before, I was routed off the motorway, through the (busy) city centre, and back on the the motorway two junctions down. No traffic information within the system, and nothing on the travel news on the radio. The next time we stopped, I checked and the system was still set to "fastest route", as per usual.

The updates came from the same reseller I've been using every year since I bought the car. He buys them through the BMW ASAP system.

Thoughts, gentlemen? Have I just found two errors by chance?
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Satnav update weirdness

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:34 pm

I only use direct downloads for my X6 from BMW now, but the map data should be the same. There are a few oddities though. A local road shows as 40mph in one direction, and 30 in the other! It’s only ever been a 30 since built.

I did report it to Here (part owned by BMW) but it’s still wrong years later.

I have seen odd routing such as you see though. On my commute into work the system tells me to take a left at a roundabout (should be straight across) go for about two miles, turn round, go back to the roundabout and go left onto the straight across road it should have used anyway! Errmm

The i4 just has an updated system (iDrive 8 ) but uses the same mapping and uses a different route (the right one) but even it occasionally comes up with a diversion for no obvious reason - or at least the RTTI isn’t indicating anything amiss. No idea why, it just does it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Satnav update weirdness

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:10 am

Your lucky it updates.
A new to me E90 with the CIC system fails the update at 58% no matter where i get the update file from.
Stuck with 2021 maps so tom-tom it is.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Satnav update weirdness

Post by jaynana » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:17 am

I upgraded the OS to make it CarPlay compliant, and use Waze avoiding all such issues.. car isn’t a BMW though :fuelfire:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Satnav update weirdness

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:50 am

Alan Gunn wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:10 am Your lucky it updates.
A new to me E90 with the CIC system fails the update at 58% no matter where i get the update file from.
Have you had a look here for any software updates - in case that’s the root cause?

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

StuBeeDoo

Satnav update weirdness

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:44 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:50 pmLast Friday, on a journey I hadn't done before, I was routed off the motorway, through the (busy) city centre, and back on the the motorway two junctions down.
For the return tomorrow, I'm prepared. :) I've used old technology to check the junction number where I actually want to be off the motorway, and no amount of coercion from the nav. will make me deviate - unless RTTI or travel news on the radio advise me otherwise.

........And I checked this morning, the postcode and street name missing from the previous update have definitely reappeared. :?
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Satnav update weirdness

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:03 pm

Huh? :? :? That’s definitely odd

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Satnav update weirdness

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:59 am

X5Sport wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:50 am
Alan Gunn wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:10 am Your lucky it updates.
Have you had a look here for any software updates - in case that’s the root cause?

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html
Thanks for the link.
I get " An error has occurred. Please try again later" will try again after.

StuBeeDoo

Satnav update weirdness

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:55 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:44 pmFor the return tomorrow, I'm prepared. :) I've used old technology to check the junction number where I actually want to be off the motorway, and no amount of coercion from the nav. will make me deviate - unless RTTI or travel news on the radio advise me otherwise.
...........And the weirdness is is confirmed. No changes to the route criteria, entered our home postcode, and it brought us back without trying to take us through Warrington town centre. :?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Satnav update weirdness

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:58 pm

Ghost in the Machine then…… :?

StuBeeDoo

Satnav update weirdness

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:25 pm

X5Sport wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:58 pmGhost in the Machine then…… :?
Indubitably.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Satnav update weirdness

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:43 pm

As an addendum, some owners of i4s who have received an update in the US are finding that their satnavs now think the car is in Munich, 4,000 miles from where they actually are!

Pining for home obviously :D