Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Digital TV Retrofit

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5E53Des

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by X5E53Des » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:48 pm

Hi all.
I have a late 2005 manufactured & registered early 2006 E53. I'm considering retrofitting the TV function as my current car has not got it but does have the Satnav factory option. I recall the TV BMW factory option changed from analogue to digital in 2005 ish. Has anyone done this retrofit? Looking for advice and maybe the parts to do it if anyone has then for sale?
Many thanks.

Greydog

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by Greydog » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:11 am

From memory (dangerous at my age) you need the TV tuner unit which lives under the floor near the battery with luck the wiring should be there already. Make sure the tuner is Digital/Hybrid unit you may need the help of someone with a BMW capable diagnostic system to get it working

X5E53Des

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by X5E53Des » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:11 am

Many thanks for your reply / info. Yes I thought that from my research to date. I won't progress unless confident I can get it working etc.
I have BMW diagnostics 1.4.0 that seems pretty good and can code with it. I used it recently to enable my auxiliary Webasto heater for timer control in addition to the new telestart remote. I'm already looking at the digital tuner module from potential suppliers.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:21 am

Hybrid receiver modules were introduced in October 2004. Mine (Dec ‘04 build) had it.

If you use RealOEM and the last 7 of your VIN to pull up the right model, that should aim you at the right parts. There was a retrofit kit (now ended) to put in the video module and TV antennas. E53s were built with most of the wiring in, but probably not the TV Receiver & aerials.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=03_2440

You local dealer may still be able to print out the EBA (instructions) from their system. The number is in the slide above. EBA 0153182. It might also tell you what else you need. Do you have the reversing camera? If so you’ll have a video module of some sort.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5E53Des

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by X5E53Des » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:28 pm

Many thanks for this and I also use realoem and was coming to the same conclusion as your words (need digital TV module and antennas). I reckon the wiring is already their as part of the loom as I have found this for 2 other extras I have recently retrofitted (Webasto Telestart Remote kit & heated rear seats). I will continue my hunt for the correct parts. If i do the retrofit I will post an update to possibly help others!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:46 pm

The E53 was better for owners, seemingly with all options pre-wired. I doubt BMW were being helpful, it just suited them to have one loom back in the day. My car had heated rear seats and even motorised rear backrest external adjustment from switches in the 'D' pillars. I was told these just allowed quick access adjustment when loading the boot area. It was an ex Park Lane demonstrator, with i think (excuse the cliché) every option box ticked.

With ever fading memory of E53 ownership, i do recall my car was pre wired for the overhead binnacle garage/gate remote controller. Homelink, i think it was called. Sadly, having added it, my then garage door had a rolling code motor which Homelink couldnt connect with. My current X6 has the same Homelink system from the factory but it will still not operate my current garage door now either, and for the same reason, a rolling code motor. :x

X5E53Des

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by X5E53Des » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:18 pm

Thank you for this info. Sounds like you had the top spec car in its day! Shame BMW haven't sorted the ongoing Homelink system issue. Have you tried raising it with them? That's what I would do / try (direct and not main stealer)!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:24 pm

From past experience with BMW UK, they either don't know or dont care too much about such 'trivial' matters. The solution i was independently told is to downgrade the garage door motor which was not really desirable. I just use the remote that the garage door fitters provided. An easy no cost solution 🙂

X5E53Des

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by X5E53Des » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:11 pm

Agreed!
Update - I now have a pdf file of the E53 TV retrofit and can see the parts I need now.
For anyone else considering this the parts are -
1) Adaptor Cable
2) TV1 Aerial Cable
3) TV2 Aerial Cable
4) Video Module (TV Tuner)
5) Aerial with 2 aerial plates
6) Sundry parts - Expanding rivets x 2, Spacers x 2, self-tapping screw x 3, hexagonal nut M8, protective strip, cable tie holder x 7, cable tie x 20, earth cable

Some of the above sundry parts would be subjective to installation so not necessarily absolutely essential but the 1 - 5 items are all required and as this is the retrofit list, I conclude none of these are fitted as part of the standard E53 loom so are all need to retrofit the original TV module.
The prerequisite is the car must already have the satellite navigation system fitted as the TV shares the screen.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:51 pm

My E53 was an early 2001 example so had analogue TV, which i didn't upgrade, i sold the car. I still miss the V8, a 4.4 in my case. I think i recall upgrading to the BM54 radio receiver, cant recall why now, and adding bluetooth for the phone system, a kit from the US of A. I tinkered with quite a lot of stuff on it, a set of 4.6is wheels made a significant visual change. I sold it to a one time member here. I even tried to buy it back some years later.
JPEG_20220731_104059_3552894360248674288.jpg
JPEG_20220731_104059_3552894360248674288.jpg (159.64 KiB) Viewed 9416 times

X5E53Des

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by X5E53Des » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:12 am

I recall a digital TV tuner was used when fitted in the E53 from sometime 2005 as I recall. I had a late 2005 car that had it fitted but due to many issues with the supplying main stealer it went back after a month for a refund. So i know the early modules were analogue and probably no use now so If i do this retrofit, it will only be with a Digital TV module for the later cars. I'm in UK so probably different to USA and other countries as TV signal broadcasts vary across the world in their format. Hope that helps someone else in the future!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:28 am

TV tuners do differ regionally for sure. Ensure you get a UK spec model 😉

X5Sport/ the boss will confirm, his knowledge is endless 🙂

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Digital TV Retrofit

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:26 pm

Definitely need a UK spec receiver. I seem to remember that they only handle a limited number of stations compared to say your home TV. They also cover TV transmit channels 21-68. UK TV now stops at Ch60 with mobile phones now being in the upper part.

UK tuners will still work just fine though and are plug and play whether hybrid or analogue, it;s just that analogue won’t find much! I believe the same module is used ancross all of the BMWs of that ilk. My wife’s E46 has the same with the antennas in the rear bumper.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.