Hedgehog

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by henrym3 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:21 pm

So in theory if I disconnect the a/c/ hvac unit (for safety) unplug the hedgehog and put 8/9v from a torch battery to pin 1 and 5 the the motor should spin. For added safety remove fuse 64 (50 amp)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hedgehog

Post by X5Sport » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:14 pm

In theory. Depends upon the current drawn by the fan though. It’s a big fuse so the fan may draw a lot! RealOEM doesn’t state the current draw. That fuse is good for 600W.

You can also do a continuity check.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by henrym3 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:54 pm

Looking at the potential replacement fan from FEBI it is 210w so presumably similar wattage to what’s in there and capable of a quick burst of 12v

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by henrym3 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:04 pm

Just to update as to what I’ve done so far, as the e46 has the same hedgehog I took it out and bunged it into the X, no joy. I then fitted the old X hedgehog into the e46, works fine as did the one I bought. So hedgehogs ruled out. In my frustration I thumped the top of the dash and uttered some choice words and it started to work. So I assume that tells me it has a dead spot on the slip ring/commutator or the brushes have seen better days. Having said that it’s now working fine so I might just bury my head in the sand and put off taking the dash out and replacing the motor.

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by X5-D-Sport » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:17 pm

These Hedge-Hog units are a sodding nuisance.

I have a NEW issue resolution to throw into the mix.........
A month ago I was also having fan issues, & swapped out 3 regulator hedgehogs to no avail, & getting intermittent fan operation now & then.

I found the remedy quite by mistake.... when groping the wiring harness while the ignition was on, & the fan controls were powered ON.

It turns out that the connector socket that plugs into the Hedge-Hog has female pins that can expand & cease to make contact with the Hedge-Hog MALE pins, or intermittent/poor contact.

If it is a poor or light contact, then the connector sockets/pins will heat up & fail due to the heat & burned connector, then you fit another Hedge-Hog & a few days later the whole situation repeats again.
The hotter an electrical contact becomes, the more electrical resistance is generated until the contact gets scorched/burned & fails.

I found that the fix was to very slightly bend the male pins of the hedge-hog module to ensure a good connection in the wired plug connector.

This may not be the fix for every issue with this temperamental device, but may be worth considering.

Regards to All
Grant B

cooa99

Hedgehog

Post by cooa99 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:08 pm

I think I might have an issue as well with my final stage unit, no fan is working. I have purchased the unit from ebay to fix but have not got round to fixing due to work and not driving the E53 as much now. I did try a few days ago looking at you ube instructions taking off the trim on passenger side only to realise its actually on the driver side :(

I plan on ferrying a bit of stuff to the recycling centre so my question is can I use the car like that for now until I get round to sorting it out?

Thanks

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:19 pm

I understand the car can be driven with the hedgehog inoperable.

Non OE hegehogs are known to be troublesome though. Did you buy a genuine example?

cooa99

Hedgehog

Post by cooa99 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:33 pm

It is Non OEM I believe for about £13. I just assumed it will be ok considering how many are advertised on ebay.

If it does not work, will the one from ECP for £123 be classified as OEM ?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:45 pm

As best i can recall when i replaced my E53 hedgehog, it was certainly more than £13 but nothing like £123 either. Best talk to a BMW dealer I think.

cooa99

Hedgehog

Post by cooa99 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:38 pm

I'll Check with BMW.

I'll stick the belay one if first to see if I get lucky

Thanks

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:27 am

The eBay ones melt.
My sister got one and my nephew fitted it and it did work for about 5 minutes then stopped.
She then bought a used genuine one from eBay and that one is still working 7 years later.

Themoog2

Hedgehog

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:12 am

I'm having the same agro with mine as well as trans failsafe etc. Could be related but my blower fan has been squeaking for months then started to really groan about 2 months ago. Doesn't run at all now but it's not seized cause I managed to get a stick up through the hedgehog cavity and it turns freely.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by henrym3 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:09 pm

You should try X5-D-Sport method above, you never know it may work.