Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cheap & nasty OE rear wiper arm

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:43 am

I don't know if anyone else here has come across this.

I recently became aware of the rear wiper on my F25 not parking correctly. Sometimes it was too far up the screen, other times it would go on to the tailgate panel.

On investigation, the plastic part near the pivot had cracked. So I ordered a replacement arm and blade. These aren't OE BMW, but "OE-quality" - Febi, to be precise. But I digress.

When I removed the nut from the pivot, the wiper arm fell off - leaving behind the splined aluminium insert. This had not only swollen causing the crack in the plastic, but it was so badly corroded onto the steel(?) pivot that the only way I could get it off was to cut four slots into it with the Dremel that I use for model-making. I actually knackered a nearly-new wiper arm puller trying to get the insert off the pivot. :headbang:

The offending wiper arm appeared to be the one that was fitted from new. Interestingly, the Febi one uses a brass insert.

Those of you with older cars might want to lift the pivot cover on the rear wiper arm and check the condition of that pesky aluminium insert.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:09 pm

I have a 02 E53 and have yet to find a rear wiper that actually operates correctly.
I have purchased several and all seem to have the same fault : always they seem to lift off the screen when operating, I have tried several types and all do the same.
Have tried lubricating the blade arm at the joint to enable laying on the screen, but when in use they always lift off.
Any fixes anyone has tried ??

Lez

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:34 pm

My e70 one is cracked,( not a genuine replacement )I replaced it 5 years ago as one on it was also cracked ,it was cheap though to be fair . :D

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:33 am

I had 2 or 3 for my 02 e53 and the one that did the best job was one from the bay at about £7.
It cleared all but the last 2 inches at the top end of the blade but the rubber went hard in a few months so i gave up then lol.