Bought pressure washer, cannons, chemicals

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed May 01, 2024 9:12 pm

I recently realised just how much I've been paying the local Eastern Europeans to wash our three cars. They don't even do a particularly good job. :( I have also, reluctantly, occasionally used the jet wash at our local fuel station - but never the brushes! Even that costs me a fiver a time.
Historically, when I've washed our cars at home, I've used the "two bucket method", but these days I CBA. :roll:

So, I've thrown northwards of £260 at a Karcher K3, the complete set of Autoglym Polar range, and 2 additional Chinese cannons. I've been agonising long and hard about this, mainly because I don't have a hardstanding and the area ends-up a quagmire when I wash the cars.

Anyway, I've used the stuff this afternoon on Wor Lass's C4 Picasso. I need to work on my technique, but it's better than the Eastern Europeans would have done.

Just thought I'd share..............
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu May 02, 2024 5:30 am

Same sort of setup here can't remember the model Karcher i have ?? have 2 but both expensive.
The polar blast is the foam i use and like it did try another last week from Turtle wax but won't buy it again the wife will use it round the back on decking and stuff she likes playing with the stuff.
I struggle a bit being disabled now but there is something about washing your own car drying it then going round with the shammy well i think there is.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 02, 2024 6:21 pm

I use the same setup. Karcher plus Autoglym Polar family on the X6. As I’ve got Lifeshine with the latest ceramic tech on the i4, I use Autoglym Rapid Ceramic to re-cover that after the cleaning (2-bucket method).

Our water is very hard with a TDS >500 so I still use a resin filled tank (bought through this very forum more than a decade ago) to soften the water. I probably need to change the resin again Tulsion-MB115 to refresh it. It does make a difference.

If you’re interested, this was the thread… viewtopic.php?t=4424

My set-up:
IMG_1363.jpeg
IMG_1363.jpeg (220.76 KiB) Viewed 393 times
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat May 04, 2024 5:18 pm

I've done the F25 today. I'm happier with the result than I was with the C4P. :)

My technique seems to be improving, but the whole process is still taking what I consider to be too long. This time it was the drying that was the issue. I had to wring the towel out at least twice for every panel dried.

I either need to;- a) buy a flexi blade, b) go for a quick blat up the road to blow the water away, or c) buy a leaf blower. I think flexi blade will probably win, but I'm a bit concerned about it potentially causing excessive scratching.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun May 05, 2024 5:34 am

I use some of this but not for the wax but just to get the water off the car.
I have the well what they call a large towel 90x60 i think it is and it will dry the full car no problem.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404305411676 ... R8SwqPDoYw

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun May 05, 2024 5:35 am

That was the first link i found not the best price.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 05, 2024 12:41 pm

This blade isn’t cheap, but it works well. Not had any scratches using it on my cars…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-94510 ... B0011DYB9G
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.