Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E53 power folding mirrors.. a bit of help required

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
noobmw

Post by noobmw » Wed May 08, 2024 3:17 pm

Hello all

E53 3.0d 2004

Driver's mirror folds/unfolds and immediately unfolds/folds back to its previous position.

passenger's mirror does nothing. Only once for two days they begun working for no reason and then stopped again.

took off the cover from the passenger's mirror to have a look. The switch seems to be intact and clicking ok, but there is a connector that connects to nothing. I am attaching a photo with the connector highlighted. Anybody knows what the connector is supposed to be connected to ?

I have bought mountings and gears for the motors so I know it is probably not that, but I am curious to see if something is not properly connected.

thanks
Attachments
20240508_145110_cvop.jpg
20240508_145110_cvop.jpg (122.83 KiB) Viewed 212 times

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:41 pm

Think that’s for the puddle light, certainly has nothing to do with folding problem. More than likely it’s the micro switch slightly misaligned. If they have been folding then the motors are probably ok. I have a pair in the garage and I’ll take a picture tomorrow of the micro switch you need to look at.

noobmw

Post by noobmw » Wed May 08, 2024 10:05 pm

Thank you for your reply

I don't think it is the paddle light. That is still attached that is why the cover is not falling off. This is something else.
I agree it has nothing to do with the folding though.

thank you

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu May 09, 2024 9:27 am

Its a long time since i delved into these but once troublesome, they become a significant pita. Best way to establish if the large connecter is/isnt for a puddle light is check the lens /bulb in the lower edge of the casing and trace the wiring back. Also check if there's illumination from the mirror housing. I dont recall seeing that large plug .

I do recall that they are (obviously) linked, and if one side has issues the other side misbehaves. As a LHD design i believe the passeger mirror is the master (could be t'other way?) I spent days in total trying to resolve the problems with mine, switches, motors , all very fiddly work and gave up. I had both sides replaced for about a grand as i recall, and was just the internal guts and labour, door card off, etc. No new trims to enjoy after such an expense.

noobmw

Post by noobmw » Thu May 09, 2024 10:03 am

sapphireblack wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:27 am Its a long time since i delved into these but once troublesome, they become a significant pita. Best way to establish if the large connecter is/isnt for a puddle light is check the lens /bulb in the lower edge of the casing and trace the wiring back. Also check if there's illumination from the mirror housing. I dont recall seeing that large plug .

I do recall that they are (obviously) linked, and if one side has issues the other side misbehaves. As a LHD design i believe the passeger mirror is the master (could be t'other way?) I spent days in total trying to resolve the problems with mine, switches, motors , all very fiddly work and gave up. I had both sides replaced for about a grand as i recall, and was just the internal guts and labour, door card off, etc. No new trims to enjoy after such an expense.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it is not pretty to mess with these..

I hope I wont't have to replace both of them. They are cheaper now, but still... the thrill of the repair...

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

IMG_1314.jpeg
IMG_1314.jpeg (107.7 KiB) Viewed 138 times
IMG_1315.jpeg
IMG_1315.jpeg (79.17 KiB) Viewed 138 times
The first picture shows the grey and black plugs. They do plug into each other. The grey plug also plugs into the puddle light. The wires from the grey plug go to the black plug with 4 wires attached and that plugs into the mirror switch.
The second picture shows the micro switch with the blue/yellow/white wire and I suspect the micro switch under that cover is the problem in that it very slightly out of position. As already mentioned they are interlinked and your will need to check both sides.

noobmw

Post by noobmw » Thu May 09, 2024 8:42 pm

Thank you very much for your effort.

I really appreciate it. It has been a great help!