Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tradesmen

General off-topic chat.
StuBeeDoo

Tradesmen

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:49 pm

What is it with tradesmen?

I spoke to an electrician on Friday, and arranged for him to come and look at a job I want done. His suggestion was "Tuesday afternoon". Suits me, I'm retired and had no major plans.
It's now well into Tuesday evening. No word from him, and his mobile is engaged every time I've called since 5pm. He doesn't have voicemail activated, and doesn't advertise a landline. I can't text him because I don't have a mobile.

Now, if this was an isolated incident I could think he's unable to talk. But........ This happens nearly every time I need work done. Roofing, paving, bricklaying, plumbing, you name it - the only thing I can rely on is that the workies are unreliable. They make an arrangement to call and discuss what needs doing then don't turn up.

To be honest, I could do this particular job myself. But as it will involve adding another circuit into the consumer unit, I'd rather not.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tradesmen

Post by Leslie » Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:09 am

They are never going to answer the fone after 5 but I feel your pain , I had a guy lined up to level my garden for a shed and put a retaining wall up ,got price agreed a start date but he made excuses come the time for work to start and never came back lol :headbang: was trying to get an outside tap put in and 2 dates missed already be better doing it myself :rofl:

lezmtaylor

Tradesmen

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:54 am

Same here , wanted some decorating done , would normally have done job myself, but wife said 'no way at you age'. (now 81 )
Had 3 appointments with different decorators to view and quote the job , no turn up, eventually got one to do it ,on recommendation, a bloody disaster, wife really upset £500 up the spout and bet it will cost double to make good and start again. No point in going legal route he has vanished.

Lez

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tradesmen

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:01 pm

What you describe sounds like life in Greece. Its common place and beyond frustrating 😡

StuBeeDoo

Tradesmen

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:32 pm

Tried him again today. I think he's rejecting my calls. His loss, I'll try someone who advertises a landline number.
It just goes to show that online reviews are worth jack. He's got excellent reviews, one of which gushes at great length about how "nothing is too much trouble". :x
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

marti

Tradesmen

Post by marti » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:08 pm

Im a tradesman, I always turn up....if for some reason Im unable too I would inform the client and rearrange.
The main problem is we are all under pressure due to the lack of youngsters not wanting to get their hands dirty and would rather sit in front of screen rather than learn a trade.
Electricians and plumbers are normally the ones that dont turn up due to the prior job over running as they have come across a problem and have to get that sorted before moving on,also they normally provide 24hr emergency call out so get delayed by that aswell.
But there is no excuse for not calling the next client or turning up on the agreed start date, we must be lucky around here as it doesnt happen often,Ive heard the city's are bad for this....
Last edited by marti on Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

StuBeeDoo

Tradesmen

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:35 pm

marti wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:08 pmIm a tradesman........
The main problem is we are all under pressure due to the lack of youngsters wanting to get their hands dirty..........
Electricians and plumbers........... they normally provide 24hr emergency call out so get delayed by that as well.
Thanks for your input. A couple of points there that hadn't occurred to me. But, like you say, there shouldn't be an excuse for not calling ahead - just as a courtesy.

StuBeeDoo

Tradesmen

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pm

I've just spoken to another dude. He does sound a little more interested, and he's supposed to be here "......in about an hour and a half".

.......And he didn't ask me to text him my details. I think that might be a bonus.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tradesmen

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:00 pm

I had a very bad experience with a plumber. He was happy to turn out next door (who recommended him) as their jobs were more lucrative money wise. Changing two kitchen mixer taps? Not interested! Ended up doing them myself.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Tradesmen

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:40 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pmI've just spoken to another dude............
......... And he came round when he said. Seems a canny lad. Said he'll e-mail me the quote and earliest start date later this afternoon. If he continues to be as reliable as he seems, he'll be getting the job. :thumbsup:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tradesmen

Post by Leslie » Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:18 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:32 pm Tried him again today. I think he's rejecting my calls. His loss, I'll try someone who advertises a landline number.
It just goes to show that online reviews are worth jack. He's got excellent reviews, one of which gushes at great length about how "nothing is too much trouble". :x
If he has good reviews there may be a genuine reason hes not answering , life gets in the way at times as well all know (just saying) :thumbsup:

StuBeeDoo

Tradesmen

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:47 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:40 pm
StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pmI've just spoken to another dude............
......... And he came round when he said. Seems a canny lad. Said he'll e-mail me the quote and earliest start date later this afternoon. If he continues to be as reliable as he seems, he'll be getting the job. :thumbsup:
We arranged a date for the work, he turned-up when he said he would, and kept to the price he quoted. If I need any more electrical work done, he will be the first person I call.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tradesmen

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:55 pm

A rare event today, congratulations. I put out a fencing enquiry on Checkatrade over the weekend, nil responses so far 🤔

StuBeeDoo

Tradesmen

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Sep 09, 2024 4:12 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:55 pmA rare event today, congratulations. I put out a fencing enquiry on Checkatrade over the weekend, nil responses so far 🤔
I've got a TV aerial installer supposed to be coming next Monday, and a fencing bloke the week after that. Could be an interesting couple of weeks.