Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Repair to reinstate the two locking lugs to the external door handle

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
shy7g

Post by shy7g » Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:21 pm

Does anyone know of a successful repair to reinstate the two locking lugs to the external door handle, as shown in photo.
I know you can get oem from £40 +p&p primer finish or painted to paint code around £160 +p&p, but if there's a fix worth trying I'd like to repair this existing part as it's a shame to have to bin it just because "it's easier" to just replace it with a new one. Yeah okay if the repair doesn't work then nothing lost other than a few hours. Thinking out loud maybe reduce the diameter of the end piece and 3d print a sleeve with the new locking lugs on it??, just an idea, I haven't got a 3d printer :ebay: maybe a go excuse to now have one (yeah I know it won't make financial sense but you've got to have grown up toys, now and again :wink: :wink: :wink:
cheers all
Rich1899
handle.jpg
handle.jpg (53.04 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
HOW MANY OF THESE E53's ARE STILL ON THE ROAD TODAY AUG.24 ????

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:36 pm

I do have a 3d printer (Prusa 3S) but it’s filament based and from experience that material just doesn’t provide the necessary strength in the part. Additive manufacturing using resin system (these use a UV laser), or powder based (using an IR laser) would be better. The problem with filament based systems is that the filament layers can pull apart so the part unravels.

…….and yes I also subscribe to the adults are allowed expensive toys too. :D :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:28 am

When i first had my e53 the carrier failed so i got a new one.
On stripping the door i couldn't get the handle of and it turned out somebody had drilled into that tab and put a self tapper in with a washer and a bit of rubber cut out to make a second washer.
Me being me spent day's painting a new handle should have used the old one as the paint didn't last 3 years.

marti

Post by marti » Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:07 pm

Done this a few times, find a small screw that will fit in the end of the lug with a modest head and a washer big enough to hold the lug in place on the inside of the door skin ....sorted. :)

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:30 pm

Cheers all for the input
Marti, great idea, will try this out once the evil-bay £11 one drops out, I'd say give it 6mths only because that door barely gets used lol

marti

Post by marti » Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:13 pm

shy7g wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:30 pm Cheers all for the input
Marti, great idea, will try this out once the evil-bay £11 one drops out, I'd say give it 6mths only because that door barely gets used lol
It does work a treat as said done it a few times on my old X5 and a couple of mates X5's one of them still has his and I repaired it 7 + yrs ago and all is still well and its drivers door handle....I should have done a youtube vid :D