Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can they diagnose screen problems?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:33 am

Hi

As I have bored everyone to tears they are aware that my screen colour has changed on sat nav to a washed out colour. If has now been like that since the day after the meet (19th March) which is the longest by far as it used to do it intermittently.

If I take head unit out an use contact spray on ribbon cables I can get it back for a day but it never lasts.

Just called BMW and told them that I have taken headunit out and used contact spray and also got a friend to repeat on module (Sanj) in boot. They said next move would be to replace screen. As I wanted a price ( fancied a laugh) they put me through to parts where they told me just over 1k!!! But then he said get it diagnosed first. I mean can they really tell from a diagnostic that the screen is stuffed?

Running out of puff and may try shopping about for a second hand one unless anyone has any ideas?

Penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Can they diagnose screen problems?

Post by pvr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:50 am

X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 am

Yes I do have one idea for you, but can I ask, do you know if it the front or rear connector that is causing the problem? My angle is this, if it is the front (my favourite as it gets the most abuse) then it may be that when you clean the contacts and push the connector back on, you are agitating the pins on the pcb which are most likely suffering from a dry joint.

I would be inclined to strip the head unit and have a look for any such joints and then carefully re-solder any you may suspect.

Just my opinion, but may be worth a look.

Hope that helps

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

Powercat

Post by Powercat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi Penny

Usually a very big hammer helps, I guarantee that screen won't give you any more problems :lol:

[quote=""ITBarbie""]
If I take head unit out an use contact spray on ribbon cables I can get it back for a day but it never lasts.
[/quote]

It sounds like you had a bad connection if you try using copper grease you might find it works better than contact spray,
and be very careful if you apply, if copper grease is touching each other on connections then you can have a short :evil:
good luck and let us know how you get on
02 x5 3.0d auto cat D

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks everybody for your input. I forgot about toysinyourcar but did look on eBay. Already knew there was no way I was bending over for BMW prices.

My brother is a sparks all be it heavy handed. I might have to ask him to take a look as although I will repair, pc's, hoovers and toasters they are a lot cheaper if I fry them :-)

MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

Nat

Post by Nat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi ,

My nav screen has done exactly the same..................Its like its lost a colour and gone all yellowish.

So the issue is connectros ?

Would appreciate a clue where they are so i can have a go at them myself, although the car is still under warranty, would save me lots of hasslte if it was a case of just clean a conector somewhere.

Regards

Nat.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:33 pm

[quote=""ITBarbie""]But then he said get it diagnosed first. I mean can they really tell from a diagnostic that the screen is stuffed? [/quote]

I have diagnosed mine several times with the bmw 1.4.0 scanner i have Penny and mine comes up with a couple of faults on the sat nav but will not say what they are!!!! iirc it says something like 'unable to diagnose'
but as soon as i clear the codes they are gone and then show up next time as a 'shadow' code.

So perhaps the fully fandangled bmw scanners like Jase has would diagnose this better :idunno: ???

Mine has not faultered for ages now so nothing to diagnose at the mo which makes me think like others that it must be a bad connection due to it being intermitant.
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

[quote=""Nat""]Hi ,

My nav screen has done exactly the same..................Its like its lost a colour and gone all yellowish.

Would appreciate a clue where they are so i can have a go at them myself, although the car is still under warranty, would save me lots of hasslte if it was a case of just clean a conector somewhere.

Regards

Nat.[/quote]
Connections are behind the screen itself and others are in the boot area below the spare wheel into the tv module iirc one blue and one white.
tv module under air susp compressor (german helmet) here.......

pic courtesy of sanjpics.com :D

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:34 pm

[quote=""Nat""]Hi ,

Would appreciate a clue where they are so i can have a go at them myself, although the car is still under warranty, would save me lots of hasslte if it was a case of just clean a conector somewhere. Also just for your information I have checked cabiling in back of screen as well as getting Sanj to do the cables at back of module in boot

Regards

Nat.[/quote]

Hi Nat

If you ever get time it would be great if you can take the car back if itis under warranty as I know X555 is having the same issues as me and we just cant work out what it is :x I would love to see what BMW AUC say?
MODS

philip600

Post by philip600 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Penny,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.
You aksed me to report if mine was still ok after I cleaned connections on head unit & TV module ( see other post ) & so far it's good news. Screen has been fine since last Wednesday.
Are you sure the connections are properly cleaned as thay are very hard to get into inside the plugs.
It took 3 attempts with mine before colour came back.
Hope you get sorted without having to fork out for new screen or module.
Is it possible you could ''borrow'' a head unit & TV module to see if you can confirm it is one or the other ?

Regards, Phil.
2005 3.0d Le Mans auto - Now gone :-( but replaced with an Audi A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition 177PS :-)
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet - NOW SOLD.
1996 Lotus Esprit S4s in Mica Yellow.

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:08 pm

I would love to borrow a screen form someone who can just let me try it. So if anyone is near me in Surrey it would be greatly appreciated. Sanj went into the back of the monitor but it was at the meet and there was nothing really to clean it with so I should try again :-(
MODS

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Just a thought and it may not be feasible, but how about replacing that ribbon cable with a new / different used one? I know the old (almost identical) ribbon cables in pcs used to pack up now and then and cause all manner of glitches.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:19 am

[quote=""ITBarbie""]
Running out of puff and may try shopping about for a second hand one unless anyone has any ideas?
Penny [/quote]

Hi penny,

This is just a shot in the dark but i notice from your signature you have folding mirrors enabled with intravee
which means you have updated the firmware on your intravee to V6.02-4629 . Recently i enquired about the extra
features that can be enabled via the intravee and got the following reply from intravee support ......

" Attached is the latest Beta firmware V6.02-4629. This firmware is still in Beta and has a significant number of low level changes as well as other more obvious changes compared to the release build. It is possible that you may find some issues, most likely screen redraw problems. If you do find any problems please let us know and we'll try to fix them as soon as possible "

Could it be possible the updated firmware has caused your screen to behave the way it does. It does seem from their reply
there are issues (screen redraw) with the beta firmware.

For those that have intravee installed with the updated beta firmware and are experiencing screen problems may
want to disconnect it for a little while to see if you get your screen back to normal.

Like i said just shooting in the dark here but could be worth trying. Please report back as keen to update my intravee.
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:35 am

Good point that x man :thumbsup: but mine also has the folding mirror option and i have had no issues lately with the screen (though i have in the past :roll: ) and also sanj had/has this option aswell without any issues i think.....sanj any probs with your screen fella???
Perhaps disconect yours for a while Penny and see ....i know you want to solve this one :headbang: :headbang:

I'm still convinced that it's a bad connection or damadged wire mind.

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:53 am

Very interesting Xman I will have a go.

I've spent a day calling round auto electricians and they say the best thing for me to do is find a friendly x5 owner that will let me swap the screen for 5 mins to see if it's that. Mine is permanently yuk colored now. New second hand screen £300 and if I don't get the b!@!!y thing fixed I'm going to have no choice.

Geezer bird is going in the back again today to check out the connections.

Thanks Xman :-)

edit

I have now gone into the back and replicated what Sanj did re connectors and used some contact spray but no difference. Disconnected the intravee and again no joy so set about taking the head unit apart as per instructions from another forum. God knows what I was going to do with it but I did it anyway. I had a look used some compressed air to clear dust and prodded ribbon cable to make sure it was firm. Looked at it a bit more then put it back together and hey presto its back. Lets just see how long for this time. If it goes now at least when I lash out £300 I know I tried :rofl:

MODS