Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

same tread on tyres

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
tombs

same tread on tyres

Post by tombs » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi All, abit of advice needed. Should be picking up the X5 tomorrow from bigshout and I know in advance I need to change one front tyre as the other was changed for a new Maxxis tyre due to a puncture not so long ago, the backs are all Toyo's and are fine tread wise. My question, is the 4x4 drive system on the X5 very sensitive to different treads front and back? I know the quattro system will allow for different tolerance in tread front and back but both tyres must be the same on one axle, is this the same on the X5?

Cheers

Tom :)

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: same tread on tyres

Post by pvr » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:42 pm

I am a fan of only the same tyres on the vehicle, all corners. I would not trust the different handling capabilities of different make tyres under circumstances where it really matters.

Just my opinion of course.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:45 pm

I remember having different tyres on the rear axle of my 3-series 15 years ago - turned it into a pig in the wet, since then I've always had matched tyres on any axle.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:55 pm

I would be putting new or good part worn Toyos on front or otheerwise causing car to have a matching set.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

tombs

Post by tombs » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:20 pm

I can understand the "want" to have the same tyre all round especially from an aesthetic point of view but I cant see how the 4x4 drive and diffs differ from other 4x4 cars I'm lead to believe as long as the tread pattern is the same on one axle there shouldn’t be a problem. Just wondered if anyone knew of a reason why this shouldn’t be ok?