Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SCR / Posh Leathers / KG & Raj Overhaul of the 4.8

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: SCR / Posh Leathers / KG & Raj Overhaul of the 4.8

Post by sapphireblack » Thu May 12, 2011 12:56 pm

[quote=""Raj""][quote=""pvr""]Loving it, but does this not cost an arm and a leg ... :cry:[/quote]

I'm Indian so never pay too much for anything....lol

Negotiating is in my blood and it has only cost me a fraction of what should have been the normal costs involved.[/quote]

I've been a pro negotiator most of my life and regardless of negotiating being part of your DNA ;) you'd have to be very well connected indeed to get this sort of work done for less than £4-5K, based on some personal experience of an E39 re-paint. The labour cost is excessive for good workmanship.

Unless you plan to keep it forever, or have money to waste, great as it may look, it will never realise its cost back when you sell it. This without the interior refit too. I think the day you sell it will show a reduced market for it also, imo.

An interesting thread though all the same :)
2009 35d, Space Grey with Chateau leather, still below 40k miles.

MJim

Post by MJim » Thu May 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Really enjoying following your thread here too and very much look forward to seeing it all come together !!
Last edited by MJim on Thu May 12, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Thu May 12, 2011 1:05 pm

[quote=""sapphireblack""]I've been a pro negotiator most of my life and regardless of negotiating being part of your DNA ;) you'd have to be very well connected indeed to get this sort of work done for less than £4-5K, based on some personal experience of an E39 re-paint. The labour cost is excessive for good workmanship.

Unless you plan to keep it forever, or have money to waste, great as it may look, it will never realise its cost back when you sell it. This without the interior refit too. I think the day you sell it will show a reduced market for it also, imo.

An interesting thread though all the same :)[/quote]

Fair enough, but let's just say that the cost is way less than the bottom figure you have quoted... :thumbsup:

Also, this is my project as well as my only car and is going to be with me until I have to shoot it...lol so I'm not worried about re-sale. I have been modding cars for as far back as i can remember so know that most modding costs will never come back, but then it's my only outgoing as I don't really drink, don't smoke and rarely go out, etc so it's all good.

Fair comments though... :)

robo

Post by robo » Thu May 12, 2011 3:46 pm

good reply Raj really enjoying this thread cant wait to see the finished article

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu May 12, 2011 3:57 pm

[quote=""Raj""] it's my only outgoing as I don't really drink, don't smoke and rarely go out, etc so it's all good.

[/quote]

The last person that said that to me got married and had a child about 2 years after a similar comment. He was an eternal dedicated batchelor with a passion for cars. :D
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu May 12, 2011 4:40 pm

[quote=""Raj""][quote=""sapphireblack""]I've been a pro negotiator most of my life and regardless of negotiating being part of your DNA ;) you'd have to be very well connected indeed to get this sort of work done for less than £4-5K, based on some personal experience of an E39 re-paint. The labour cost is excessive for good workmanship.

An interesting thread though all the same :)[/quote]

Fair enough, but let's just say that the cost is way less than the bottom figure you have quoted... :thumbsup:

Also, this is my project as well as my only car and is going to be with me until I have to shoot it...lol so I'm not worried about re-sale. I have been modding cars for as far back as i can remember so know that most modding costs will never come back, but then it's my only outgoing as I don't really drink, don't smoke and rarely go out, etc so it's all good.

Fair comments though... :)[/quote]

Repect for your enthusiasm and disposable income :D We are all different which is a good thing. I seek VFM these days over short (er) term gratification. I will continue to read with genuine interest :)
2009 35d, Space Grey with Chateau leather, still below 40k miles.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Thu May 12, 2011 4:44 pm

[quote=""pvr""][quote=""Raj""] it's my only outgoing as I don't really drink, don't smoke and rarely go out, etc so it's all good.

[/quote]

The last person that said that to me got married and had a child about 2 years after a similar comment. He was an eternal dedicated batchelor with a passion for cars. :D[/quote]

Lol, been married for nearly 12 years and have 2 kids.... :D

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Thu May 12, 2011 4:46 pm

[quote=""sapphireblack""]

Repect for your enthusiasm and disposable income :D We are all different which is a good thing. I seek VFM these days over short (er) term gratification. I will continue to read with genuine interest :)[/quote]

No worries. It's all good.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri May 13, 2011 10:57 pm

So the boys at SCR have moved on from allllllll the LeMans Blue now...lol.

Here we go:

Last edited by Raj on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

UrbanFlow

Post by UrbanFlow » Sat May 14, 2011 11:01 am

V. Nice.
Any news on the leather?

This is like our very own version of 'Changing Rooms'.

Been thinking of some mods for mine - might be a bit more like 'DIY SOS'!
Current Rides:
2007 Black X5 E70 3.0D SE - 7 Seater, Dynamic & Media Packs
1975 MGB Roadster with Rover SD1 V8 conversion, Offenhauser Manifold & Holley Carb - Straight lines only.
2005 Honda Hornet with Akrapovich zorst & other odds n sods.

Previous Ride:
2003 Silver 3.0i Sport E53 X5

Waka

Post by Waka » Sat May 14, 2011 7:33 pm

This is a great thread, thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures Raj :thumbsup:

Now I've got a real inferiority complex about all the stone chips and the odd dink on my X5 :P
Curr. - Silverstone II F85
Prev. - E70 4.0D M Sport
E53 3.0D Sport Facelift - Estoril Blue

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Sat May 14, 2011 7:45 pm

When I saw those last set of pictures I thought for a minute you were going two tone with the handles grills silver/white

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sun May 15, 2011 10:39 am

[quote=""UrbanFlow""]V. Nice.
Any news on the leather?

This is like our very own version of 'Changing Rooms'.

Been thinking of some mods for mine - might be a bit more like 'DIY SOS'![/quote]

Lol.

Chris is getting on well I believe. He seems positive everyday I speak to him but he keeps forgetting to send me pics... :(

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sun May 15, 2011 10:41 am

[quote=""Waka""]This is a great thread, thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures Raj :thumbsup:

Now I've got a real inferiority complex about all the stone chips and the odd dink on my X5 :P[/quote]

I'm even more worried about getting my first dink or stone chip once it's all finished... :cry:

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sun May 15, 2011 10:43 am

[quote=""storminmike""]When I saw those last set of pictures I thought for a minute you were going two tone with the handles grills silver/white[/quote]

Hmmm there's a thought....noooooo...lol. Most of those bits are minor details and interior.