Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPhone 4 Snap in adapters

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
MJim

Re: iPhone 4 Snap in adapters

Post by MJim » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:59 am

I put in a question to BMW (so called) customer services re getting 6NR retrofitted. I do have the necessary audio/telephone USB upgrade on my car. They told me that 6NR involved fitting additional hardware over and above that so wouldn't be possible. I'd therefore be surprised if 6NR can be added as a software update - but obviously v interested to hear how you get on!
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:06 am

If I am reading all of the info on the E90 forum correctly then apart from software, there is also a different baseplate required onto which the snap in adapters locate along with additional cabling back to the Combox and/or USB hub if fitted. I already knew I needed a different one for 6NF and it looks as if BMW have produced a 6NR version which is only being fitted at production (for now). How the coding is done is unclear, but it appears that some of it requires the VIN being supplied in the same way as is needed if you add a combox (BMW hard-code the VIN into certain elements of the systems) to a car without one.

The important part for me is that this appears to be doable and from my recent experience with BMW, they're playing the 'Not invented here' card along with the 'Too hard to do' card. As is often the way, saying it 'can't be done' is a real challenge that some of us simply have to prove wrong. Patryk is using OEM parts and the wiring diagram I have seen makes it look fairly straightforward. After all it's got to be something that a dealer can change in the event of a failure/breakage etc.

For me, the key will be price and what has to come out so that cabling etc can be laid in? Then I can 'negotiate' with my Dealer again. :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:26 am

I will be holding a Skype call with Patryk on my return to the UK and will let all know the outcome. It sounds positive though.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:21 pm

A quick update. I have had a call with Patryk and it does sound very positive. E71 and most likely the E70 as well that have the CIC system and a Combox can indeed have the 6NF option fitted relatively easily. The work appears to be no worse than an additional USB connection from the centre console to the combox, an additional CIC connection again between te armrest and CIC, change the phone baseplate to the one for 6NF, add the correct snap-in adapter once available and have a bit of coding done. Simples.

The multimedia baseplates are not currently available due to issues with overheating and BMW are reported to be working on a fix. Hopefully we might see the full capability plates added to the BMW parts bins in the Summer.

Patryk is also certain that the 6NR option is no more than a software update at the local Dealership, no hardware changes (yippee) if you have 6VC, 6FL and 6NF. That then enables all the functionality that the Combox can provide. Why BMW are refusing to provide any updates or retrofits appears to me to be no more thsn a policy decision to sell more cars. There is no technical reason apparent at present.

Please do note that these options are only available on cars fitted with the Combox (Option 6VC showing on the build sheet. It was not a customer choice option). Combox installations began in Week 40 of 2010 (w/c 4th October) on cars with the 609 Nav and 6FL and/or 6NF.

If you have an E70 or E71 built earlier then it is possible to upgrade your systems to have a Combox instead of a TCU but your budget will need enlarging. You could even have a CIC fitted too :D

For now, I am waiting on parts availability and the software load. Patryk will supply the parts (and instructions) and I'll take it from there.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 30, 2011 9:54 pm

Multimedia adapters are now available too. My Dealer tells me they're in the country and cost £162 each!!