Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Garage door/gate 'Universal' remote

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Garage door/gate 'Universal' remote

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:08 am

Anyone else have this option fitted?

I've had an auto garage door for a while now, but frustratingly the cars built in remote doesn't/wont catch the frquency when programmed as per instructions.

Does anyone know any tricks to make the thing work with my door?
2009 35d, Space Grey with Chateau leather, still below 40k miles.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Garage door/gate 'Universal' remote

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:46 pm

Is it compatible with your garage door system? I remember reading somwhere that the remote system all have to meet a certain standard. Might have been 'Homelink' or something like that.

This linky might help?

http://www.johnsoncontrols.co.uk/publis ... e/BMW.html

as an aside, does anyone know if this option can be retrofitted in existing vehicles? I think it's just a mirror change, but I might be wrong (as usual :cry: ).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

phiggystardust

Post by phiggystardust » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:17 pm

hi
it depends on which version you have there is a sequence of pressing of buttons that will tell you which one you have , i have this on mine and to get mine to work with my door i fitted a universal reciever which i bought directly from homelink , think it was around £40 . it was easy to set up you just pressed a button on the reciever then pressed the button in the car. it will switch 2 sources and will switch momentary or a pretimed, you will obviously need 1 for the opener and i have used my second to switch my outside lights through a timer. hope this helps!!!
or if you need any more info let me know and ill do my best :thumbsup:
2002 3.0d black sport auto, now with added mods!!!re-map,chrome clock rings, folding mirrors,wind deflectors,angel eye led hid's,19"sport wheels,reverse cam,ps2 media+hdd,dvd headrests,alpine v12 amp+sub,+alarm chirp !!!!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:14 am

This is the model fitted in mine, #4. Which one specifically i don't know without getting it out but there's only ever been three;

04 REMOTE CONTROL F GARAGE GATE OPENING 1 61318380869 ENDED
04 REMOTE CONTROL F GARAGE GATE OPENING 1 61316919879 ENDED
04 REMOTE CONTROL F GARAGE GATE OPENING 1 61316981941 $360.47

I have BMW's instructions and have neutralised any old codes as directed. The new remote simply doesn't seem to interface with the Homelink for some reason :x

The garage door motor is a Hormann, who say it's fully compatible with the BMW/Homelink unit. It appears to function, all the buttons blink and flash as they should when depressed etc, i don't know if they can even go faulty :?

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:25 am

I have both fitted in mine, remote control in overhead panel and remote control rear view mirror . Programmed both
using these instructions :

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5 ... tions.html

@ X5Sport . My car did not come with this option, i fitted both myself. The mirror simply changes over and the overhead panel
needs to be removed to access the small white plug connector which is tied down to the loom with black insulating tape, the
square cut out pops out from the overhead panel to make way for the remote.
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:25 am

Thx. Step 2 in the linked instructions works just as described. The problem is step 3 doesn't happen, in that the Homelink light never progresses to the fast flashing stage :(

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 pm

At step 3 are you holding down both buttons on the remotes until the quick flashing stage ?

If still no luck Hormann garage door openers should have a built in receiver module as phiggystardust mentioned above.

Check out method B in this link :

http://www.garage-door-remotes.co.uk/ho ... amming.htm
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:35 pm

I tried step three for so long my arms ached, the fast flashing never started for some reason :x

I've had mail from Johnson Contols now (Homelink) and investigations are under way, though it looks like i'll have to strip down the console to get at various numbers they want/need from the unit :(

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:23 pm

For anyone with interest in this topic, i finally removed the Homelink unit from the car earlier to day and discovered its a first model version and almost certainly incompatible with the remote supplied with my garage door :x

Homelink is a brand subsidiary of Johnson Controls Inc http://www.johnsoncontrols.co.uk/publis ... sites.html

I'm in email contact with their Euro division now and i have asked today if a s/w flash / upgrade is possible. Failing that i would have to gamble the sole remaining unit held in Germany is of the correct software level (7) to operate my door. At some £205 + VAT that is not an option i will be likely to pursue.

So, having the electronic gizmos is great, but only if they can 'talk' to each other :(

phiggystardust

Post by phiggystardust » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Just fit the universal receiver as mentioned earlier £40 ish delivered from homelink mine same set up as yours and works great .
2002 3.0d black sport auto, now with added mods!!!re-map,chrome clock rings, folding mirrors,wind deflectors,angel eye led hid's,19"sport wheels,reverse cam,ps2 media+hdd,dvd headrests,alpine v12 amp+sub,+alarm chirp !!!!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re:

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:02 pm

[quote=""phiggystardust""]Just fit the universal receiver as mentioned earlier £40 ish delivered from homelink mine same set up as yours and works great .[/quote]

I may yet, but for now, having a nice three switch unit incorporated into the car and being unable to use it is frustrating. If i have to buy another unit, i may as well carry on as i have with one of the key fob type units supplied with the door, which is d/s taped to the overhead console, and adjacent to the fitted Homelink unit.

I'm waiting on further reponse from Homelink but there's a bit of a party going off in the USA currently :D

phiggystardust

Post by phiggystardust » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:47 pm

hi
you still get to use the integrated buttons with the reciever unit and as it is 2 channel you can use 2 out of the 3 mine are on the mirror and work good !