Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

first ever test drive in a 4.6iS, some answers please

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Ant

first ever test drive in a 4.6iS, some answers please

Post by Ant » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:55 pm

I have just been and driven my first ever X5, and its the model I want which is the 4.6iS, its a 2003 model with 70,000m.

As it was my first ever drive and I am no mechanic, can anyone advise on some queries, possible fixes, and any idea of cost ??

1) When I pressed the button to fold the mirrors in, the drivers side one closed but then re-opened and the passenger one never moved. The engine was running at the time, does the car have to be off when you attempt this, or are they broke, and if so what is the fix ?
2) this one had the sunroof option, and when pressing 'close' (with one-touch close) from the wide open position (not tilt) the sunroof closed but then re-opened, it would only close fully when the button was held ? reasons ?
3) The front parking sensors did not beep when up close (rears worked) the salesman said he had switched them off, and the PDC button was lit, was he telling the truth, does the PDC button switch the front sensors off ?
4) What is the RDC button ?
5) I have a 330iSE and am used to the sound of the straight six, I realise this is the V8 and will have a different sound, but I was suprised that under hard acceleration (I had waited for the rev counter lights to go out) the engine sounded rough and quite harsh (it did not 'feel' rough or harsh, there was no vibration). Is this the difference between my six and the V8 or should it still be quiet ?
6) He did say that a previous owner had removed the metal tyre valves and replaced them with rubber hence the tyre pressure alerts would not work. There is an error message on the display about Tyre/Pressure inactivity, or something like that. A) Is this OK to replace with Rubber. B) Can this be put back to how it left the factory and how much would that cost. C) Can this error message ever be removed or will I have to see it every day ?

Thanks for any advice you can offer
E30 320i
E36 325i Coupe
E46 330i SE
Now an E53 4.6iS

Pete

Re: first ever test drive in a 4.6iS, some answers please

Post by Pete » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:03 pm

RDC is the tyre pressure alert/reset switch.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Sounds like one to avoid unless you get it dirt cheap or all the "not working" items are fully repaired before sale and you get a decent warranty- the panoramic sunroof costs a fortune to repair - around £2K - and is a known problem on X5s, esp as they get older. The parking sensors are likewise a pain in the butt - I am not aware of being able to "switch the fronts off" - you either have the system working and the PDC button is lit, or you can press the button to switch them all off. They are also not an easy or cheap fix unless you enjoy dropping the bumpers, that is.

As for the tyre pressure monitor - I think earlier cars had a battery driven system, later ones like mine have a system which works on a difference in the rolling circumference of the wheel and does not use batteries. Sounds a bit suspect, this "rubber valve caps" story - the system may be faulty (more like it) and again, pricey to repair. All in all, avoid a car with so many problems unless its cheap and you are confident that its easy to do yourself or know a good indy.

The 4.6 or 4.8 quiet?? Nooooo, it has a throaty roar!!! Shouldn't sound rough though, just a wonderful V8 burble followed by a splendid roar :lol:
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 pm

1) When I pressed the button to fold the mirrors in, the drivers side one closed but then re-opened and the passenger one never moved. The engine was running at the time, does the car have to be off when you attempt this, or are they broke, and if so what is the fix ?
The microswitch in the driver side mirror is broken (which means a new mirror). Dealer price will be about £450, but second hand on ebay will be cheaper. This will be why the passenger one doesn't work also.

2) this one had the sunroof option, and when pressing 'close' (with one-touch close) from the wide open position (not tilt) the sunroof closed but then re-opened, it would only close fully when the button was held ? reasons ?
Hmmm, possibly just the switch (or maybe a relay). Not 100% sure

3) The front parking sensors did not beep when up close (rears worked) the salesman said he had switched them off, and the PDC button was lit, was he telling the truth, does the PDC button switch the front sensors off ?
He's lying. The button switches all the sensors on. Could be a cheap fix though as it may be that the front connector has come away (or possibly a fuse)

4) What is the RDC button ?
Tyre pressure monitor

5) I have a 330iSE and am used to the sound of the straight six, I realise this is the V8 and will have a different sound, but I was suprised that under hard acceleration (I had waited for the rev counter lights to go out) the engine sounded rough and quite harsh (it did not 'feel' rough or harsh, there was no vibration). Is this the difference between my six and the V8 or should it still be quiet ?
My 4.8 has a constant whir noise and as you describe sounds quite rough when accelerating. Mine has been into the dealer and they have said it is normal....

6) He did say that a previous owner had removed the metal tyre valves and replaced them with rubber hence the tyre pressure alerts would not work. There is an error message on the display about Tyre/Pressure inactivity, or something like that. A) Is this OK to replace with Rubber. B) Can this be put back to how it left the factory and how much would that cost. C) Can this error message ever be removed or will I have to see it every day ?
The sensors for the tyre pressure monitor are mounted to the back of the metal valves. As they have been removed, the error is on the dash to say inactive. It will cost a few hundred to sort as the tyres will have to be removed and remounted to fit the new valves and sensors. Plus the sensors and valves will cost about £200 ish I'm guessing for all 4.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:57 pm

[quote=""Raj""]He's lying...........................[/quote]...................That would be enough to put me off & causes me to ask if this inaccuracy is only tip of iceberg & a taste of what else might be in store whether in terms of car or seller.

All very well having a warranty but you would have to pay excess per claim &/or diagnosis fees &/or make betterment contribution & /or not be exluded from claing due to component &/or wear & tear exclusions or other warranty provider get out(s).

Many who have warranty fail to realise that prescence of warranty doesnt remove their buyers rights. The onus to fix any issues would rest with the seller as under sale of goods act any fault found within 6 months shall be deemed to have been present at point of sale unless seller proves otherwise. It's also not straight forward as any rights only good if seller honours them. In abscence of this it's down to a civil claim via court. If they decided in your favour the court is likely to settle minus any incurred betterment from you having newer component(s) than car would have otherwise had. Seller arguing a used car was bought with buyer having full knowledge of known faults might make any claim more difficult to fight.

The replies above seem to make sense though I dont have the tyre pressure monitor so cant advice. As for the sunroof I dont think 4.6is has the panoramic roof but rather the normal roof. Cost cant be put on it as will vary dependant on which component to it is defective. Obviously any time intensive repair will be costly by virtue of labour charges.

The margins between trade and retail price on these cars is significant but for good resason. The potential cost to suitably prepare an X5 for a non fault retail sale can be significant. Those selling cars with issues for sorted money stand to profit the most & tjhose buying them will end up either paying the cost later having a car worth far less than they have paid for it.

Everything has a price of course but I would walk away unless seller was honest re faults or agreed for car to be indy or dealer inspected & all faults mentioned, ( as well as any others found), are corrected. I very much doubt the seller will do so as its far easier & profitable to sell to someone who isn't clued up.

Unless you find a bargain minter or are in a rush I would look at some others even viewing an over budget mint example to benchmark for condition, against later cars you may view. Play with all the toys & get to know your way around these cars. My buyers guide has plenty of pointers. If you view another 4.6is you will also be able to compare engine noise for your own piece of mind if nothing else.

..................One to leave me thinks.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:06 am

The seller in this instance is blowing smoke mate... leave alone. He either doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to X5's / BMW's or he knows exactly what it is and he is telling you a lie (or three) in the hope that you will take the bait. When it comes to a sale, unfortunately they will say anything.

As others have said.. Mirror needs replacing, issues with sunroof can be very costly, you CAN'T turn the PDC off at the front!

All the questions you have are after your first inspection... imagine what you might find in a couple of weeks of ownership?! I'm not sure this seller would be very helpful given the tactics used so far.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:19 am

It doesn't sound a good one and I'd run a mile. If the salesman is lying now then you can forget about any decent level of aftersales service.

Minda

Post by Minda » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:27 am

Agree with everyone, sounds like too many problems, and a dealer that dont know what hes on about, nothing unusual then :rofl:
Good buyer's tend to do there research and prob, end up knowing alot more than some of these small dealer's, good luck in your hunt, but i'd walk away from this one :thumbsup:
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

kena

Post by kena » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:39 am

I agree with everyone above, WALK AWAY. There are others out there, it just takes time to find the right one for you. When i was looking for a 4.8 it took me 3 months of searching and 2 flights before i found my current X.

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 am

Agree with everybody else.......This will be very expensive in the long run i think. As others have mentioned on the forum before look at the 4.8is. Check out AW8's buying guide too......is invaluable.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:42 am

From what i have just skimmed through above do this .... :exitright:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Darnicmax

Post by Darnicmax » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:58 am

Walk Away. End of. It took me 9 or 10 viewings before I found the 'X' for me. All buttons worked. Everything in place and where it was supposed to be. No hard sell or contrived stories (they all do that 'sir!) because it wasn't needed.....I just knew it was right. That said, being the ultra-cautious type, I still took out an HPI check before handing over my cash to the dealer. Good luck - your X is out there somewhere for you.....enjoy the hunt.....and only part with your cash when you are as certain as you possibly can be. :thumbsup:

Ant

Post by Ant » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:31 am

Thank you all for your responses, I think I was just excited as it has been my 'next' car for a while, but the first one I had actually gone and seen, it is such a beautful car.

From the comments, it is a normal glass roof option not the panoramic but the problem is the same, and I cant afford a 4.8 and (not wishing to offend) I prefer the look of Estoril Blue 4.6is to be honest.

I will chalk this one up to experience :oops: They were some things with the paperwork as well which made me wary during my nights sleep, There were TWO valid MOT's from different places ? There were receipts to match the BMW service history upto 2006, then no receipts to match a service at a 4X4 showroom in 2008, and no receipt for an oil change at an MOT centre !!! at 62,000m (not being a snob, but the MOT centre did not even have a website) - Who keeps receipts from 2006 but the bins the new receipts ???, The V5 said the last owner only had the vehicle on the 31st July 2010 in Essex yet it was already for sale at a showroom on the outskirts of Birmingham by September.

The list of things that did not work as stated were from an initial view, I had not even tried the heated seats (x4 option), electric windows, air conditioning, headlamp washers, wipers, bulbs all of which could have been faulty as well, OH and the display had pixels missing, and the time and date had not been set and were blank.

I dont think it was considerably cheap as its just hitting 70K, is a 2003 and is up at £13000, though that may be my wishful thinking as its a big purchase for me.

BUT IT LOOKED LOVELY :rofl:
E30 320i
E36 325i Coupe
E46 330i SE
Now an E53 4.6iS

bullethead

Post by bullethead » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:33 pm

IT'S A DOG........
and if you really want Estoril Blue look closely at the door shuts and under the bonnet cos those darn yanks are tight with the paint..It's thin and can and does peel.
Last edited by bullethead on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:48 pm

It's good that you were savvy enough to post up and ask for advice.

Now you have seen the car you can view others with your head and not your heart. Although the heart always wins! ;)

Feel free to post up again and see many great forum members help out...

From what I saw on the OP - a lot of BS to be honest and probably down to trade swagger rather than genuine knowledge about this particular car. Some blatently obvious to those members on here in the know - not me, know nothing about sunroofs or RDC but valves being rubber rather than metal!

Keep going, keep asking. Good luck!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds