Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cheap Bike Carrier £59.99

How-To articles ONLY go here.
jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:13 pm

So I wanted a bike carrier and had a look, roof rack not an option as the missus takes it on her own sometimes so it's just too high and damage to car would be a certainty.

Tow bar I wish I had one I love the Thule 4 bike carrier, easy and secure with boot access and only £80 however I have no towbar and to get one and install would be about £500. Taking into account this could be just a fling too much for me too risk.

Called a few places and a cheap rear carrier was out the window when X5 was mentioned. Went to halfords they had an advanced rear carrier looked the part, but X5 was not listed. So went for the Halfords strap rear carrier £59.99 (on sale apparently):

Fitting follow the guide, only change buy another set of plastic dumbbell fittings as the top strap is metal and will damage your car bodywork.

First time round will take some time to figure it out, once you worked it out future fitting to car takes about 10mins max.

It feels solid when on, well it should if you done it right. One issue as straps come out of the car it disturbs the seal and if it's raining you will get a little water coming in, so get the towels out in advance.

It's sitting high at the back as the frame is small, however they sell a bar that you attach to the bike to create a straight frame, will get that next time this was a rush job.

Says fits 3 bikes I got 2 mountain bikes on it. Getting 3 would be some squeeze but maybe possible.

Would recommend this if your looking for a cheap solution and don't might no access to the boot.
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Cheap Bike Carrier £59.99

Post by AW8 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks for sharing this.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:52 am

[quote=""AW8""]Thanks for sharing this.[/quote]
And they call me useless. Please ban Sanj once he written's his How To's which the lazy fit will take a year to do :-)
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:40 pm

you went for the good old cheap type after all that :D

only one bike? wheres little legs trike? you know the one with the pedals at the front?

oh is its in the boot
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Why spend £500 when this does the job just fine. I can save it for repairs :-)

Was on the way to pickup Sanj hence trike not loaded as yet.

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:52 pm

you git i was the one who told you to buy that and save your when you rang me about a tow bar,well at least you lisened in the end,your only going to use it till you get a flat on the bike or run out of puff lol

got any pics of sanj on the trike yet
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Oh please - this is Jig we're talking about! Indian and tight go hand in hand. No need for advice or encouragement!

Well done Jig for not letting me down!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds