Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Chip Tuning Diesel Performance Box

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
andym3

Chip Tuning Diesel Performance Box

Post by andym3 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Has anyone bought and fitted a Diesel Performance Box?
If so what is your opinion on it?
Ive seen this one on ebay - item no. 140810610157

Im quite interested in the box as 1) they are a good price & 2) they can be fitted & unfitted easily so no need to inform the insurance company like you would have to with a remap!  :))
CURRENT CARS - E53 X5 3.0d & E30 325I CONVERTIBLE

Reusch

Re: Chip Tuning Diesel Performance Box

Post by Reusch » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:02 pm

My pennies worth I think they just over fuel and are not exactly specific to your vehicle not like a re map that's specific for your vehicle also you would still have to tell your insurance as its still a mod.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

Hoppy_70

Post by Hoppy_70 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:23 am

Theres an article and test on chip boxes in one of this months BMW mags (i read it in the shop while waiting for Mrs). I've got one fitted to my E70 at the moment and they do what they claim to do, increase BHP, torque and improve MPG. It added 9mpg to mine on a recent long motorway run (see my recentish threads).

The magazine article seemed to like them and I don't think there is a massive difference between the ebay £50 hobbies and the £3-400 boxes.
Previous x5's

2004 3.0d E53 met blue
2004 4.4 E53 goldishy silver? LPG
2002 4.4 E53 silver
2002 4.4 E53 met blue

huck

Post by huck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:18 am

I wouldn't ever take the risk of not telling the insurance company. If anything, a remap is the stealthier option and something the company would have to make a point of looking for, in the event of a claim.
On the other hand, if you're involved in an accident and your car gets damaged, it would take very little to find an undeclared box. Dependant on the seriousness of the accident or claim, you'd be utterly screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:02 am

Agree with Huck's points. To be honest, I just wouldn't take the chance.  If I was an investigator, I would be looking at sites just like this to see if the insured person has posted etc.

Don

andym3

Post by andym3 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:44 pm

[quote="Hoppy_70"]
Theres an article and test on chip boxes in one of this months BMW mags (i read it in the shop while waiting for Mrs). I've got one fitted to my E70 at the moment and they do what they claim to do, increase BHP, torque and improve MPG. It added 9mpg to mine on a recent long motorway run (see my recentish threads).

The magazine article seemed to like them and I don't think there is a massive difference between the ebay £50 hobbies and the £3-400 boxes.
[/quote]

What make is your box and where did you get it from? Also how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

X Box

Post by X Box » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:21 am

I had a CR51 from Original Tuning Box to try out years ago. Firstly on a 330d E46 and it really seemed to make a difference. However I then changed cars an E39 530d. The box was said to be compatible but give bigger gains as the 5 had a higher output in the first place.

I don't know why but it never felt as good on the 5, perhaps it was an auto v manual thing but I doubt it.

I sold it to another 330d owner and was happy with it.

Now though I would go with a remap (not that I am planning too - my X is fine as it is for how I drive) but back then choices were far more limited, as was the info.
People buy horsepower but drive torque!

andym3

Post by andym3 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 pm

I have noticed that there is a advert for TDi Tuning that pops up on the home page of this site.
Some people say that the tuning boxes are useless, but if the info on their website is true they seem really good!

www.tdi-tuning.co.uk

What you lot think?  8)

marlin758

Post by marlin758 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:23 am

I bought a CR-Tech box off ebay for £78 - just checked but they don't seem to be listed for the X5 at the moment  :(

When I fitted it I was very impressed , much smoother and more responsive. I think you quickly get used to the extra performance though, it wasn't slow before !

I have just returned from a trip towing a fairly heavy caravan and whereas before I fitted the chip it would be showing 24 .6 mpg it is now showing 29.6 mpg so I am impressed with that  :)
Last edited by marlin758 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
55 3.0 D Sport - Silver - Black leather - Carbon fibre badges - Rear view camera - Webasto remote control modification, HID Headlamps and all the rest are LED's.

andym3

Post by andym3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Ok thanks for your reply! They do sound/seem good!  8)

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:41 pm

[quote="marlin758"]
I bought a CR-Tech box off ebay for £78 - just checked but they don't seem to be listed for the X5 at the moment  :(

When I fitted it I was very impressed , much smoother and more responsive. I think you quickly get used to the extra performance though, it wasn't slow before !

I have just returned from a trip towing a fairly heavy caravan and whereas before I fitted the chip it would be showing 24 .6 mpg it is now showing 29.6 mpg so I am impressed with that  :)
[/quote]

You will need to check the mpg by doing a full tank to tank fill

As boxes raise up the fuel pressure
The mpg readings can go out the window
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk