Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2010 40d sat nav update

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
69cmw

2010 40d sat nav update

Post by 69cmw » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:20 pm

New car to me and I want to update the sat nav to take the full post code, can it be done? and if so how much and where is the best place to go for it?

Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2010 40d sat nav update

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Dealer for the new DVDs (there are 3 in total) and cost about £25, plus a single use VIN specific licence key and that comes in at around £185!!! 

Dealer will charge you £300 to do the job, or you load the 3 discs in plus the one time key code and the CIC will plate the data on the hard drive every time you go for a drive.  Dealers can plug the car in to their network (there's an Ethernet port on the back of the CIC) and download the data directly onto the car, but it takes a day.

The 2014 map update is due in a couple of months.  7-digit postcode is not guaranteed to work for every code.  I frequently send mine from Google Maps to the car as that has never failed, but you need a current Connected Account and password, and a Google Account to send from (you have to log in to Google & have a car detail with password & username).

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Simond S

Post by Simond S » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 pm

I agree with the Google to Car route. I use it all the time.

Also use BMW connect and let them send the address to the car.

MJim

Post by MJim » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Don't bother updating.  I get free updates courtesy of BMW as they admit the SatNav is useless, and still is.  I told the service engineer that my £100 Tom Tom is far better, to which he replied that I wasn't the first to say that, and that he couldn't disagree.  Apart from that gripe, it's a great car ...
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

markda

Post by markda » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 am

I have to agree, past experience of BMW navigation systems have led me to the same conclusion, they all seem to gravitate toward using the M40 & M25 at any available opportunity, even if that opportunity takes you significantly out of your way!

I'd hoped the newer model was better, sounds like I might be disappointed :(

markda

Post by markda » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:41 pm

I can confirm my 2011 (61) 40d has full postcode searching, interested in this Google to car stuff.  How do I get my account with BMW setup?

sramsay

Post by sramsay » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:55 am

There is a link off the BMW site, existing customers or something which should take you to the bmwroutes, ConnectedDrive and BMW assist sites. Between them you can send satnav directions to the car, set up email and your personal RSS feeds.

iriver

Post by iriver » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:14 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Dealer for the new DVDs (there are 3 in total) and cost about £25, plus a single use VIN specific licence key and that comes in at around £185!!! 

Dealer will charge you £300 to do the job, or you load the 3 discs in plus the one time key code and the CIC will plate the data on the hard drive every time you go for a drive.  Dealers can plug the car in to their network (there's an Ethernet port on the back of the CIC) and download the data directly onto the car, but it takes a day.

The 2014 map update is due in a couple of months.  7-digit postcode is not guaranteed to work for every code.  I frequently send mine from Google Maps to the car as that has never failed, but you need a current Connected Account and password, and a Google Account to send from (you have to log in to Google & have a car detail with password & username).

Richard
[/quote]

Hi Richard,

Is the update of the Sat Nav with CIC professional available via disc? I was told it was a dealer only update via the glovebox USB? I saw a USB upgrade on bmw-fsc-code..com shipping from the Netherlands for £65.00 but I can't find out much about them or the quality of products. Any thoughts?
Happy Owner

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:19 pm

From what I have seen it can be done by the USB port in the glovebox and may need the files copied from the OEM DVD disc set one at a time and installed in the car in turn.  The standard way to DIY is to buy you own disc set.  Dealers can do it via a direct download (24GB) into the CIC's Ethernet port too.

The 2014-1 set should be available by now.  My local Dealer told me they were expecting it a month ago. 

As for the FSC code, no idea.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.