Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removal of overhead switch panel - front?

How-To articles go here.
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Removal of overhead switch panel - front?

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:06 pm

This may also apply to the E70 too.....

Anyone on here know how to get the panel down?  Is it screwed or clipped (or both)?

I need to drop mine to find power for the black box camera and there are various different 'how to' guides, but not for the E70 or E71.  I'm not really wanting to go and ask the man at the dealership, but if I have to then so be it.....but I don't want to force & break something accidentally.

Just wondered if anyone on here had been behind that panel?  I have a sunroof, though it's not a Pano.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Finglonga

Re: Removal of overhead switch panel - front?

Post by Finglonga » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:43 am

There is a small plastic trim around the front light, that clips off revealing two slots. Push a small screwdriver up there to push the clips in and pull the light down at the front. There are a couple of spring clips at the side near the center rear as well that you can push in. Once they are loose then push forward towards the screen as the rear doesn't use clips it slots into the roof liner. It is a tight fit and can be done without the screwdriver but it is scarey how much it bends  :blink:.

Important bit is do not pull down at rear of the dome assembly as that is slotted into the roof liner with two tabs of plastic and it will snap them off.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 am

Thank you sir, just what I needed to know....... :ok:

Richard

Finglonga

Post by Finglonga » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:16 am

Shows it a bit better ........

Red arrows point to metal clips, blue the plastic tabs at rear (my photoshop skilzzz :)) ).
Last edited by Finglonga on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Perfik........ :)

The hard wire lead has now turned up and has a very long lead and a special power gizmo to shut down and power up the camera properly so having found the way in with your help, I now need to find if the 'box' can actually be lost in the overhead area as there are a lot more wires than I expected to find and not much space..... >:(

I may have to go into the area below the glovebox and see if there is any power lurking down there.  Back of the 12v socket would do nicely, but BMW have decided to make that difficult to remove too..... >:D

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:51 pm

The 'preferred location' recommended by BMW is to come off the front 12V socket. 

For the X6:  move the Driver's seat all the way back to give you room.  Remove a single Torx screw located at the front of the trim on the right side of the tunnel that holds the carpet trim in place. 

Now prize two green plastic trim clips out by firmly pulling the trim outwards towards the door.  You may find it easier to get your hand behind the trim to spread the load.

Once both clips are released then the rear of this piece of trim is held in by two horizontal 'U' spring clips so you need to pull the trim piece forwards to release the clips and then take it out of the way.  This exposes all of the right forward part of the tunnel mouldings that hold everything in place.

You should now see a connector about half way back on this substructure with three wires (two thick, one thin).  Two clips hold the connectors together so you can prise it apart.  On mine these wires are
Brown - Vehicle Ground
Green with brown tracer - 12V switched +ve
Thin grey with red tracer - lighting 12V +ve

I connected my camera live to the switched 12V feed and the -ve to a convenient 10mm bolt.  There are three bolts in view but only the rearmost two are chassis.

I ran the cable across the drivers side pedal cover (removed by taking out three 'X' head screws) and up the A-pillar, across the driver's side roof behind the lining and into the rubber trim covering the wiring between the screen sensors and headlining.

When routing across the pedal cover, beware that the brake pedal cuts through this trim piece so you need to ensure your cables are routed in such a way as to not foul or be cut be the brake pedal.

The wires can be hidden behind the door rubber from the pedal area up to the dash top, after which you can hide the wires behind trim by (gently) pushing it in with a trim tool I use this kit from Amazon.

Test everything and the re-assemble in best traditional Halfords style........oh and put an in line fuse in your new circuit if there isn't one provided.

Jobs a good un.  Sorry no picks but ?I didn't have my camera handy.... :-[

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.