Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Detailing

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Johnny-p

Detailing

Post by Johnny-p » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 am

Hi all

Well I'm almost nearing the end of the mods I want to do to my X..
I have the old girl booked in for a full 3 stage detail Sunday.
This is to include getting the running boards back to new all the tarnishing off the metal window trims and my beige seatbelts back to a nice clean state..
He wants it for 5 days so I'm hoping for a nice transformation!!!

Only a wheel refurb after that and I should be done for a while!! :-[

Will post pics when I get it back.... :camera:
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

Woofer

Re: Detailing

Post by Woofer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:23 pm

5 days you say ...reckon he's got a trip planned  ::)

How much for the detail BTW?
F15 5.0msport

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Ha!!

Nah he normally wants a vehicle for 3 days anyway but seeing as it's a X and it's not in the best shape paint wise he's allowed 5 just in case..
He's charging me £500 so I'm expecting something nice at the end..
I've seen some of his previous work so I'm pretty confident!!
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

Benstan

Post by Benstan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:21 pm

[quote="Johnny-p"]

Will post pics when I get it back.... :camera:
[/quote]

Take some pics before too!
Current: 2012 X5 MSport 3.0d - carbon black, 3rd row, panoramic, media, TV, top-view camera, power boot.
Former: 2006 520d SE (E60) - auto, black leather

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:34 pm

who's doing the work for you?

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Well got a call from the detailer today..

He said it had all been washed and clayed but was in a bit worse shape than he thought it would be-gulp :-\

However He has asked for my permission to use it as a promotion vehicle for him..

For no extra cost to me he wants the car for another week and he's going to document a before and after detail for his website and business..

He's going to have to hand flat with wet n dry along with the 3 stage detail to bring it back to life..

He said he likes a challenge but this one is taking the p*ss..

He's very confident of getting it as good as new..(or as good as it's going to get without a full respray)..

I'm a bit apprehensive but at the end of the day I want it as good as it can be..

Got him to de-badge it while he's at it...

Roll on next Tuesday. !!!!

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 am

Keep it for another week?

In other words that's when it comes out of the body shop as he pranged it!!

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Very cynical... :))

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Keep it for another week?

In other words that's when it comes out of the body shop as he pranged it!!

I was going to say that or he's doing taxing/airport runs in it  :)).
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

crash

Post by crash » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:58 pm

What company are you using and where are they based? I am a member on a detailing forum and most of the (good) guys in the uk are on there so will have a quick look for you.

When it comes to wet sanding, in the right hands provides an awesome end result with mirror like finishes! But done wrong can end up with a trip to the sprayers!

Edit: Just an after thought, has it ever been considered to add a detailing section to the forum? I for one would be very interested in sharing experiences, product suggestions and even mini tutorials for keeping our pride and joys gleaming!
Last edited by crash on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi crash

The company is world of detailing based in Chatteris Cambridgeshire.

Have seen some of his work and it looks top notch..

But to be fair this is my first foray into paint correction..

Trust me if it does get f**cked up I won't be the one paying for a respray!!!

John

crash

Post by crash » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Just looked them up mate, can honestly say they look like a very professional setup especially as the are listed on the Swissvax official detailers page!

For those they dont know what swissvax is please click the link and check the price tag to understand what sort of level this company take car wax to...http://www.swissvax.co.uk/product_detai ... aul_dalton

No doubt you car will be returned in stunning condition mate, if he wants to take an extra week he will be putting the hours in to get the paint work perfect! It takes more time than the average "once a week car washer" would ever understand to get the finishes these guys manage to pull off! OCD at its finest!

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Cheers fella!!

He seems a very genuine chap,who in his own words "likes a challenge"..

I'm sure I've given him that!!

Will post pics upon collection.

Benstan

Post by Benstan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:04 am

Did you get it back??
Current: 2012 X5 MSport 3.0d - carbon black, 3rd row, panoramic, media, TV, top-view camera, power boot.
Former: 2006 520d SE (E60) - auto, black leather

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:44 am

Sure did and she looks a beauty 8)

Will post pics when I've washed her at the weekend