Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering issues, maybe its me.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
rhinoman

Steering issues, maybe its me.

Post by rhinoman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Had our 2006 X5 exclusive on 20's for a few months, its done 123k and I'm struggling with it. I've moaned a couple of times in other posts/threads that I find the steering a bit vague. I have now poly-bushed the front anti-roll bar and thrust arms and rear thrust arm ball joints, replaced the. upper and lower wishbones and droplinks. The garage tell me the rack is fine and its been four wheel aligned. Rear tyres are new, fronts are 5mm.

A mate drove it and tells me I'm paronoid. Anybody in Kent (ish) that wouldn't mind meeting up and having a drive and comparing to there own E53.

If it needs other parts then so be it, but I haven't anything to compare it too. How well does a good one drive?

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Steering issues, maybe its me.

Post by pvr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Never found mine vague, but did not have 20s though.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

rhinoman

Post by rhinoman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:25 pm

The standard 20's on the exclusive model.

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Not sure it's going to help much but......

I had a mercedes e320 estate before buying the X..

Now bear in mind this was running on 18 inch sport wheels with upgraded suspension so drove like a saloon..

The X felt very vague and soft in comparison but it's a damn site higher and about 400kg heavier,I've got used to it..

Now,I sold the merc to my dad and had to drive it last week.

Oh how I miss the seamless gear changes of the merc compared to the X BUT the steering seemed all over the place,not how I remembered it!!

In fact the X seems a bit more sure footed now!!

I don't know what you had before or how long you've had the X..

I'm running on 19's at the mo and have read about the harsh ride and tram lining you can get with 20's so maybe that's the issue???

Hope this helps

John..
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

rhinoman

Post by rhinoman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:08 pm

[quote="Johnny-p"]
Not sure it's going to help much but......

I had a mercedes e320 estate before buying the X..

Now bear in mind this was running on 18 inch sport wheels with upgraded suspension so drove like a saloon..

The X felt very vague and soft in comparison but it's a damn site higher and about 400kg heavier,I've got used to it..

Now,I sold the merc to my dad and had to drive it last week.

Oh how I miss the seamless gear changes of the merc compared to the X BUT the steering seemed all over the place,not how I remembered it!!

In fact the X seems a bit more sure footed now!!

I don't know what you had before or how long you've had the X..

I'm running on 19's at the mo and have read about the harsh ride and tram lining you can get with 20's so maybe that's the issue???

Hope this helps

John..
[/quote]

All comments welcome!

Had the X5 sine May. Currently also have a Audi A4 B7 3.0tdi Sline Quattro on 18's, same gearbox (not that it feels like it!). A roller skate in comparison. Also use an oldish Renault Traffic for work everyday and the steering on that is probably better.
Used to have a Rav4 2006, which we had from new, not a bad drive but nowhere near as heavy as the X5 nor as big wheels. Also had a new Honda CRV in 2003.

I'm used to a little wallowing in bends, kinda expect it with a 4*4. The Rav was a step forward from the CRV, much much better. I was expecting the X5 to be better still. I did drive one last year after getting out of the Rav and prefered it hence buying one this year but am a bit disappointed.

I'd really like to drive a newish one but that won't be a fair comparison, preferably a lower mileage E53 also on 20's. If I need to spend some money to get ours better that's fine. I just don't want to chase an unrealistic end result.

I have a insurance policy that allows any driver over 25 so I'd love someone to come compare. Stationary with the engine running will tell me if my rack is shot or just typical.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:03 pm

I am off to Kent in the next few weeks (Maidstone) as I have to get the Abarth serviced there so if you are anywhere near there.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

JohnnyRob

Post by JohnnyRob » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Could it be the tyres?

Mine's running standard 19s with good tyres and the steering is spot on for a big 4x4.
2002 3.0d sport, Topasblau Metallic hellbeige 2 leder, coms pack - Nav, DSP, telephone and TV, voice control, Individual sunshade glazing, heated leather with lumber, footplates and auto Xenon lights & wipers.Image

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:26 pm

[quote="rhinoman"]
Had our 2006 X5 exclusive on 20's for a few months, its done 123k and I'm struggling with it. I've moaned a couple of times in other posts/threads that I find the steering a bit vague. I have now poly-bushed the front anti-roll bar and thrust arms and rear thrust arm ball joints, replaced the. upper and lower wishbones and droplinks. The garage tell me the rack is fine and its been four wheel aligned. Rear tyres are new, fronts are 5mm.

A mate drove it and tells me I'm paronoid. Anybody in Kent (ish) that wouldn't mind meeting up and having a drive and comparing to there own E53.

If it needs other parts then so be it, but I haven't anything to compare it too. How well does a good one drive?
[/quote]
Mine was on 19's and felt fine on the steering, I've heard reports of people complaining about the 20's tram lining and wandering about when on uneven surfaces, some get used to it but others don't. It's not confidence inspiring when the car seems to have a mind of its own.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

rhinoman

Post by rhinoman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:11 pm

[quote="pvr"]
I am off to Kent in the next few weeks (Maidstone) as I have to get the Abarth serviced there so if you are anywhere near there.
[/quote]

I'm in Herne Bay, so not too far, kinda depends when as I'm keen to get this sorted.

rhinoman

Post by rhinoman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:16 pm

[quote="JohnnyRob"]
Could it be the tyres?

Mine's running standard 19s with good tyres and the steering is spot on for a big 4x4.
[/quote]

The rears are brand new Toyo's, the fronts are Pirelli's with about 5mm tread. One garage I spoke to suggested directionals would be better.

I'm sure the 20's don't help but on a smooth motorway or dual carriage way it shouldn't need constant micro corrections should it? It's very fatiguing, especially in a cross wind.

rhinoman

Post by rhinoman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:20 pm

[/quote]
It's not confidence inspiring when the car seems to have a mind of its own.
[/quote]

That's my thoughts, can't believe mine has nothing wrong with it.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:22 pm

They do need correcting in a cross wind......side aspect like a barn.  :(

If the pressures are OK, then I can't think of anything else.  I have only ever had directional tyres on mine so can't say if this made a difference.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

rhinoman

Post by rhinoman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:26 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
They do need correcting in a cross wind......side aspect like a barn.  :(

If the pressures are OK, then I can't think of anything else.  I have only ever had directional tyres on mine so can't say if this made a difference.

Richard
[/quote]

It's been on a hunter 4wheel alignment unit. Having watched it done a few times now I'm not sure of its ability to deal with the deeply dished wheels and provide consistent results.

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:53 am

Usually when you get four wheel alignment (or even two wheel) - they can give you a print out of the amount on +/- that you have on the alignment. Get the print out and then go somewhere else that has different kit (avoiding any bumps and kerbs on the way!0 and get the same test and print out to check the validity of either piece of testing kit. Usually if the alignment is within spec then they dont charge to test (or at least my local tyre dealership doesn't)

If tyre pressures are ok have you checked wheel balance. Are front and rears staggered could you swap over left and rights tyres or front and rears just to see if anything changes?

Ideally find another X5 owner and swap their wheels/tyres with yours and go for a test drive.I had a tyre with a kink in the steel banding once upon a time

Smee

rhinoman

Post by rhinoman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:27 am

Ideally find another X5 owner and swap their wheels/tyres with yours and go for a test drive.I had a tyre with a kink in the steel banding once upon a time
That would be a good option.