Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Depreciation is massive!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
martin33100

Re: Depreciation is massive!

Post by martin33100 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:26 pm

[quote="thedesignboy"]
I'm just about to buy an x5 2007 (love them awesome to look at and drive) I was just looking at the depreciation rate for them, the <2007 models are woefully low and almost tempting to buy instead as they are half the cost of the 17k 2007 one I'm looking at. So I'm thinking about this a little more than I should as I tested out a beautiful 6 series 2006 which was stunning in every way for 10k! It was a 60k car a few years back!

My current CRV I bought for 13k 2 years back and I'm being offered 6.5k for it now.

So Looking at the x5 - I wonder what it will be worth in 2 years time (I normally trade around that time) will it be the same as what the old gen x5's are now (the 2005 versions?) if that is the case I'd be throwing 10k away in the next two years in depreciation.

I thought the whole point of a used car was getting a lot of car for a lot less money, but this is making me rethink it a bit. Audi Q7's are holding their money amazingly - is this to reliability?

Lol sorry for all the questions, my mind is fried thinking about what to waste my money on ;)
Might just go mental and get the cayenne :)
[/quote]I wish I test drove a Q7 before I bought our E70, my brother in laws Q7 S line on 21's had a much much better ride and less rattles than our E70.
The wife loves the E70 though so that's all that matters really :)

horsesuitedfool

Post by horsesuitedfool » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:57 am

Everyone has different experiences but mine of our Q7 was horrendous so I cant see reliability being a factor on these. Ours broke every five minutes and always things that either shouldn't break or should be covered by Audi but weren't, like prop shafts, wheel bearings, CV joints, MMI modules.... Personally I think the X5 is a far superior car and much better build quality. Back on topic though......I had a 1 year old Evoque for the past 6 months bought from RR dealer, put 8k miles on it and just traded it for a 40d X5, we got back virtually what we paid for it, so it seemed to hold its value extremely well.

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:41 pm

[quote="horsesuitedfool"]
Everyone has different experiences but mine of our Q7 was horrendous so I cant see reliability being a factor on these. Ours broke every five minutes and always things that either shouldn't break or should be covered by Audi but weren't, like prop shafts, wheel bearings, CV joints, MMI modules.... Personally I think the X5 is a far superior car and much better build quality. Back on topic though......I had a 1 year old Evoque for the past 6 months bought from RR dealer, put 8k miles on it and just traded it for a 40d X5, we got back virtually what we paid for it, so it seemed to hold its value extremely well.
[/quote]Out of the two Q7's my brother in law had only the second gave any issues and that was a glass roof that was replaced under waranty. What size wheels do you have on your X5? as I made the mistake of buying an X5 with 20's and not having the sports suspension option deleted.
I would say the ride on our E70 is harder than our old Audi S3 or Leon Cupra R, if I had bought our car new for around £45k I would have been really disappointed with it.

horsesuitedfool

Post by horsesuitedfool » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Out of the two Q7's my brother in law had only the second gave any issues and that was a glass roof that was replaced under waranty. What size wheels do you have on your X5? as I made the mistake of buying an X5 with 20's and not having the sports suspension option deleted.
I would say the ride on our E70 is harder than our old Audi S3 or Leon Cupra R, if I had bought our car new for around £45k I would have been really disappointed with it.
[/quote]

The roof was another issue haha, well not an issue as such but the drain holes on the Q7 pan roof are really thin and the drainage hoses are routed, yep you guessed it, down by the MMI modules one side and the Bose amp the other.....So when blocked they give you a 2k upwards bill....Luckily I caught mine just before enough had got in to fry everything.

Yes mine is 40d M Sport LCI so it has the 20 inch alloys with M Sport suspension. personally I love it, however I do drive spirited and I throw it about a little. I do think though that over uneven ground its very hard and crashy, in fairness the Q7 ride quality was really good. But my dads X6 was the same, he removed the Run Flats and fitted Conti normal tyres all round and it totally transformed the ride so I will be doing the same....

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:57 pm

[quote="horsesuitedfool"]
Out of the two Q7's my brother in law had only the second gave any issues and that was a glass roof that was replaced under waranty. What size wheels do you have on your X5? as I made the mistake of buying an X5 with 20's and not having the sports suspension option deleted.
[/quote]

The roof was another issue haha, well not an issue as such but the drain holes on the Q7 pan roof are really thin and the drainage hoses are routed, yep you guessed it, down by the MMI modules one side and the Bose amp the other.....So when blocked they give you a 2k upwards bill....Luckily I caught mine just before enough had got in to fry everything.

Yes mine is 40d M Sport LCI so it has the 20 inch alloys with M Sport suspension. personally I love it, however I do drive spirited and I throw it about a little. I do think though that over uneven ground its very hard and crashy, in fairness the Q7 ride quality was really good. But my dads X6 was the same, he removed the Run Flats and fitted Conti normal tyres all round and it totally transformed the ride so I will be doing the same....
[/quote]I was pricing up non run flats today, does your dads X6 have 20's? and do you know what model of Continentals he fitted?

horsesuitedfool

Post by horsesuitedfool » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:57 pm

He got rid of it now but it had 20 inch Y spoke alloys, should be same size and fitment as yours. He had conti sport contacts on it and it was so much better. I'm going to do same on mine in a few months.

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:04 pm

mine has brand spankers Bridgestone duellers on! once they have worn, I'm going non runflat all the way

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:23 pm

[quote="kjb1"]
mine has brand spankers Bridgestone duellers on! once they have worn, I'm going non runflat all the way
[/quote]Same here, we have either the Bridgestone or Dunlopsbbut I can never remember which.
We have only had the car about 3 months but the  rears had about 6-7mm on them and the fronts about 5mm so they may have to stay a while, could still go for normal tyres and stick the run flats on ebay as they still make good money with that amount of tread left.

Pope

Post by Pope » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Depreciation...
Just traded in my 09 x535d for a 2011 X640d
Paid £26k for the X5 a year ago and was offered £18.5k part ex.
So £7.5k depreciation in 12months....ouch.
:pope:
Garage:
BMW X6 40d Pink
Ducati Diavel 1198 Carbon

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:01 pm

[quote="Pope"]
Depreciation...
Just traded in my 09 x535d for a 2011 X640d
Paid £26k for the X5 a year ago and was offered £18.5k part ex.
So £7.5k depreciation in 12months....ouch.
[/quote]Thats £145 a week :o

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:05 pm

That's right, depress us all.... :( :'(

R :))
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:13 pm

I hope the depreciation on our 07 X5 is not 7.5k  a year because in two years it would be worth ZERO!!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:19 pm

I think it's an exponential curve.  Falls off a cliff for up to two years and then levels out to rather more 'acceptable' rates.  Still hurts though.

Our 9 year old 3 series is still worth around 25% of it's purchase price.

R
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Pope

Post by Pope » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:30 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
That's right, depress us all.... :( :'(

R :))
[/quote]

......and I was quite chuffed with the £18.5k offer, as anther BMW dealer only offered me £16k part ex.... :blink:
:pope:
Garage:
BMW X6 40d Pink
Ducati Diavel 1198 Carbon

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:31 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
I think it's an exponential curve.  Falls off a cliff for up to two years and then levels out to rather more 'acceptable' rates.  Still hurts though.

Our 9 year old 3 series is still worth around 25% of it's purchase price.

R
[/quote]Our other vehicle is a VW T5 and that does keep its value, its also 9 years old but in another 3 years it will probably be worth more than our X5.