Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can I fit flared wheel arch trims to new X5 xDrive30d SE ?

wildwhiffy1

Can I fit flared wheel arch trims to new X5 xDrive30d SE ?

Post by wildwhiffy1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie on here, and I am wondering if anyone can advise me on a question regarding wheel arch trims.

I have ordered a new X5 xDrive30d SE and I am still waiting for the predicted delivery date which I think will be sometime in June or July.
If you order an M-Sport version of the car you get flared plastic wheel arch trims which give a more 'chunky' look to the wheel arches which I like. However, I didn't want the M-Sport configuration.
The only other way you can get these flared arches is if you order 20" wheels, and apparently this is because otherwise the wheels would project slightly beyond the body of the car. However, again, I did not want these wide wheels for various reasons.

All other SE models come with a simple flush wheel arch trim which IMHO is less attractive than the flared variety. And this is how my car will be.
It looks to me as if both these trim types would be interchangeable and I am hoping that when I take delivery of the car later in the year, I can get the flush trims changed.

My question is whether there is anyone else out there who has wondered about this and does anyone know whether this is going to be possible. At the end of the day, the trims are just semicircles of plastic and I should imagine that both types would be secured into the same fixing holes by the little plastic fasteners.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and the specification I have ordered is as follows:

F15 X5 xDrive30d SE
Space Grey
IvoryWhite/Black Dakota Leather
Pure Experience Exterior Design Package
Connected Drive
Running Boards
Reverse Assist Camera
Sun Protection Glass
Ext mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Elect Fr Seats
High Beam Assistant
Driving Assistant
Head-up Display
Internet
Speed Limit Display
All season Tyres

Cheers  -  Chris

JimmySpeed

Re: Can I fit flared wheel arch trims to new X5 xDrive30d SE ?

Post by JimmySpeed » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:57 am

You are correct I would think. On the e70 the flat and flared arches were interchangeable. They had to be because the flared arches were made for fitting in place of the flat ones when 20s were added, and so logic would suggest that it will be exactly the same with the f15 - the flared arches should be a simple retro fit.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

wildwhiffy1

Post by wildwhiffy1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:18 am

Thanks Mobilejo,

I'll have to get in touch with the dealership's service department and see if they'll change these trims over for cosmetic reasons.

In fact I found strange that the pleasant enough sales person was unable to help me in this respect. In fact I nearly bought the car with the (admittedly very attractive) "Y" style 20" wheels just in order to get this trim on the car. Trouble is that as mentioned before, I didn't really want these for several reasons, and I thought that two grand plus is a lot of money for wheels which I don't want.

Actually, I did find it a bit disconcerting that you are often denied certain options depending on how you configure your car... there are just so many choices and yet it can be quite difficult to get exactly what you want. For instance, I'd have liked the hex aluminium trim inside, but only M Sport cars get this. Also, there's a "V" style 19" wheel I'd have liked, but you can only have that on the M50 , etc., etc.

Oh well, mustn't complain... I shall be happy if I can eventually get those wheel arch trims I want, even if I have to get them in a round about way.

I wonder if anyone else has any more thoughts on this...

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Surprising that the dealer wouldn't help in getting the arches added. They should at least be able to do it as a retrofit when the car arrives at the dealership.

Give it 3 months and there will probably be a DIY on the American BMW forums.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 pm

No official retrofit kit as yet which is probably why they won't help.  My experience with Dealers has been that if there is no kit they cannot/will not help.  A local non-affiliated body shop might.

Are these parts any of the ones you are looking for?

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

wildwhiffy1

Post by wildwhiffy1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Yes, thanks Richard, I think I can see the trim items I need on that link.

I'm on holiday at the moment, but as soon as I'm back I'll pop into the dealership and tackle them in the service department to see if they'll be able to fit these flared trims for me. It looks like it should be a pretty easy job to swap them over.

I will post on here when I get some news on whether or not I can get it done.