Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Angel Eye Bulb replacement

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
rickyclean

Re: Angel Eye Bulb replacement

Post by rickyclean » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:06 am

Well people

I successfully dismantled the bumper and wheel arch lining in the vain hope I would be able to slip the light through the arch but infuriatingly I couldn't. You need to remove the front wheels as well, which would not be a problem, except for the fact my trolley jack isn't strong enough and my axle stands I wouldn't trust with the job..... So, its either I invest in a new trolley jack and stands or I hand the thing over to my tamed car mechanic.... Still yet to decide....

X5_MSPORT

Post by X5_MSPORT » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:25 am

Yes you need to remove the wheels, front portion of the arch liner. I didn't remove the front bumper. Undo all 5 bolts holding the headlight and push it inwards. Headlight will come out, you just have to twist and jostle with it. Driver side is the hardest but the passenger side should slip out.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Should be fine as you aren't putting all the car weight on it.  I use a 2T one.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

rickyclean

Post by rickyclean » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:39 am

[quote="Peter_R"]
Isn't a top quality 2 Tonne Draper trolley jack from Costco at £79.99 + VAT cheaper than asking a mechanic to do the job for you?  Naturally you then have the trolley jack for later jobs once purchased.
[/quote]

It's more a question of time more than anything else and the car is over 2 tonnes so will need a 2.5 tonne jack and stats. Cheaper yes - but time wise.... Let's just say time is at a premium at the moment. I'll see how Sunday is....

rickyclean

Post by rickyclean » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:58 am

[quote="Peter_R"]
[quote="rickyclean"]
[quote="Peter_R"]
Isn't a top quality 2 Tonne Draper trolley jack from Costco at £79.99 + VAT cheaper than asking a mechanic to do the job for you?  Naturally you then have the trolley jack for later jobs once purchased.
[/quote]

It's more a question of time more than anything else and the car is over 2 tonnes so will need a 2.5 tonne jack and stats. Cheaper yes - but time wise.... Let's just say time is at a premium at the moment. I'll see how Sunday is....
[/quote]

I am sorry to say that is incorrect information.  You do NOT need a 2.5 Tonne jack because you are not lifting the complete weight of the car off the ground. The 2 Tonne jack is ample for the job.  I use axle stands even when swapping wheels/tyres over.

Anyway, you should never leave a car raised/suspended solely on a jack, you must have axle stands that can hold the weight of the car when working on it.
[/quote]

Thanks Peter

As you will see from previous posts I have the axle stands, so with the logic that I am only lifting the front my axle stands will be fine. I am not an imbecile enough to leave a car on a jack alone as I have done this sort of thing before. :)

However, there is clearly a problem with my jack as it is struggling to life the car so I will need to purchase a new one. >:(

Cheers for the advice

RC

rickyclean

Post by rickyclean » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:32 am

Latest update on the angel eye front. I purchased a 2.5 tonne jack and got to work on the headlight. What a faff?! The complexity of the arrangement is beyond over engineering, however I was successful in the removal of the nearside unit. What I found left me incredulous... Basically, someone has bodged a repair and installed the incorrect bulb housing and then heated the housing into the encasing to. The bulb in the incorrect type (bayonet type bulb) which therefor cannot be removed. See pics below:

Without heating up the housing to be able to remove it, I am not getting any access to the actual bulb and as it is the wrong housing anyway there is not much point, so it begs the question..... Can this item be replaced (not been successful in my searches) or am I looking at a new headlight replacement?....  :blink:
Last edited by rickyclean on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:00 pm

That is shocking ....

Is there a part number on there that can help with the search?
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

app_master

Post by app_master » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:39 am

Hi there.
Maybe I can help here (but please excuse me also as this is my first post here)

This is a timely thread (for me), as I am embarking on this exact replacement in my 2008 Bmw x5 30d (without Xenon). My current angel eye / parking light bulbs work fine but want to "upgrade" to an LED type.

I can help with the part. It is a total parking light unit replacement not just a bulb...the BMW oem part number is 63127192578.

See item 6 in diagram and listing here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FF42-EUR-01-2008-E70-BMW-X5_30d&diagId=63_0992

You will find it is the same part fitment as an e90 pre LCI angel eye bulb part, more specifically;
    2006-2008 E90 3 Series (For the Pre-LCI w/factory HID headlight ONLY)
    2006-2008 E91 3 Series (For the Pre-LCI w/factory HID headlight ONLY)

Tip; ebay search "e90 pre lci angel eye" and you'll get plenty of options.

Youtube e90 install here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-_cb_0jjRs

Example image inserted below for the part comparison:

This is what helped me find track down an aftermarket bulb solution for my x5 angel eyes. And I have already purchased these replacement LED bulbs. I actually bought 2 pairs in fact; mtec and similar to above image, just in-case of failure or non-fitting due to slight differences. I am wishing to fit these now, but as realised, it is a real pita to get in there, it's an atrocious access design! (I am guessing the bulb was designed as a "lifetime" part and to never be replaced).

Needing your "how to" steps?
Can you please give me your breakdown of how you were able to access the bulb housing area and actually remove the bulb?

Thanks. Andrew.
Last edited by app_master on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rickyclean

Post by rickyclean » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:10 am

[quote="pvr"]
That is shocking ....

Is there a part number on there that can help with the search?
[/quote]

Can't see to find one, but yep shocking! Had a bit of a debacle with this car....

rickyclean

Post by rickyclean » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:51 am

[quote="app_master"]
Hi there.
Maybe I can help here (but please excuse me also as this is my first post here)

This is a timely thread (for me), as I am embarking on this exact replacement in my 2008 Bmw x5 30d (without Xenon). My current angel eye / parking light bulbs work fine but want to "upgrade" to an LED type.

I can help with the part. It is a total parking light unit replacement not just a bulb...the BMW oem part number is 63127192578.

See item 6 in diagram and listing here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FF42-EUR-01-2008-E70-BMW-X5_30d&diagId=63_0992

You will find it is the same part fitment as an e90 pre LCI angel eye bulb part, more specifically;
    2006-2008 E90 3 Series (For the Pre-LCI w/factory HID headlight ONLY)
    2006-2008 E91 3 Series (For the Pre-LCI w/factory HID headlight ONLY)

Tip; ebay search "e90 pre lci angel eye" and you'll get plenty of options.

Youtube e90 install here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-_cb_0jjRs

Example image inserted below for the part comparison:

This is what helped me find track down an aftermarket bulb solution for my x5 angel eyes. And I have already purchased these replacement LED bulbs. I actually bought 2 pairs in fact; mtec and similar to above image, just in-case of failure or non-fitting due to slight differences. I am wishing to fit these now, but as realised, it is a real pita to get in there, it's an atrocious access design! (I am guessing the bulb was designed as a "lifetime" part and to never be replaced).

Needing your "how to" steps?
Can you please give me your breakdown of how you were able to access the bulb housing area and actually remove the bulb?

Thanks. Andrew.
[/quote]

Hi Andy

You may have hit on the perfect solution for me so I going to investigate your idea further.

In terms of access to the bulb, it is an insanely badly designed arrangement and quite an infuriating set up when bulbs do not last a lifetime. It was either a cynical way of extorting money out of owners or an ill thought through design flaw. Which goes to show why the car was updated early in its life cycle.

What you will need to do is remove the front wheels and the front half of the wheel arch lining. Then you'll be able to access the screws that hold the light in place. The ones closest to the radiator are very tricky to access. I am going to have to get back in there soon to fix the issue so I will try and take pictures of each stage.

RC

app_master

Post by app_master » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:07 am

[quote="rickyclean"]

You may have hit on the perfect solution for me so I going to investigate your idea further.

In terms of access to the bulb, it is an insanely badly designed arrangement and quite an infuriating set up when bulbs do not last a lifetime. It was either a cynical way of extorting money out of owners or an ill thought through design flaw. Which goes to show why the car was updated early in its life cycle.

What you will need to do is remove the front wheels and the front half of the wheel arch lining. Then you'll be able to access the screws that hold the light in place. The ones closest to the radiator are very tricky to access. I am going to have to get back in there soon to fix the issue so I will try and take pictures of each stage.

RC
[/quote]
Great RC.
I look forward to your success and those steps.

I actually managed to remove the screws and rear bulb housing, by accessing under the hood, on the left side, but then was unable to see in there to actually remove the parking bulb unit. I gave up at this point and put it back together to look for a better way, leading me to this thread.

I am also thinking of replacing those 3 hex screws with some sort of thumbscrew too, for my sanity when reinstalling.

PS. I am still flabbergasted that you have to seemingly dismantle quite a bit to change a damn bulb! wtf!

Thanks man, talk soon.

app_master

Post by app_master » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:08 am

Hi again.

I was able to find a partial step by step process for accessing this area behind the headlight from wheel arch, photos and all: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804781

Above link was for a different purpose (replacing aim adjuster motor) but essentially getting to the same place. And as it seems any job to do with the an e70 headlight repair-upgrade requires a bit of surgery. But it is do-able!

Couple of lingering questions from this?
  Do you really need the plastic pop rivet gun to get it all wheel arch covers back together securely?
  Is there an alternative or reusable plastic rivet or other fastener?
  What did you use RC or others, to put yours back together nicely?

Anyway RC...since we are both working toward the same goal...I'm still keen to see your access steps, particularly to the parking bulb area, and your pending replacement.

rickyclean

Post by rickyclean » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Hey App Master

I finally did the task today and I can happily say it was a success. It is however time consuming work and I would recommend having an extra pair of hands to help (I luckily had my Dad with me)

Anyway I'll post a more detailed "how to" and I have plenty of pictures to hopefully help illustrate the work involved.

app_master

Post by app_master » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi Rickyclean.
That looks awesome mate. Job well done. :thumbsup:
Looking forward to seeing how you finally did it. And yes I have already resided myself to the time consuming task at hand.
PS. I plan to upgrade the H7 low headlight bulbs with a 35w 6000k HID kit while I am up in there too anyway.
FYI. I have also managed to change the rear plate, luggage lights, reverse lights, door puddle and footwell lights to white LEDs also. Bringing the lighting of the old beast (2008) forward about a decade.

rickyclean

Post by rickyclean » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Hey App Master

Let us all know how you get on with the upgrades as I am very interested in that too!

Below is my "how too"

RC