Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ebay x5 what do you think

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
kjb1

Re: ebay x5 what do you think

Post by kjb1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:30 am

Its not an assumption.  It's clearly a reference to a statement you made earlier on in this thread. 

Are you honestly arguing over if I think the X5 is a truck or Jeep?? it's a slang which I as well as many others would use whilst referring to the thing for goodness sake.  Everything in life really doesn't have to be black or white you know!!!!

Bet it's a laugh a minute in the CondorX5 household :)

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:16 pm

[quote="shadrack"]
I dont think it sounds pompus. An x5 isnt a jeep.  Jeep is a brand.

we all know you dont need money to own an e53 now. Hence the concern that someone thats stretched to buy the x5 mite not maintain it.
[/quote]

It does sound pompous.  Have you put the hoover round this-morning? oooh no, I mean have put the cleaning machine made by dyson around this-morning?? whats the difference? there is none.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:06 pm

A 'jeep' is a brand and a BMW X5 is very definitely not a jeep.  There are people who take pride in the cars they own - especially on a BMW Owners Forum.

Pomposity has nothing to do with it.  You may regard your X5 as just a 'jeep' but that (to me) just makes it sound cheap and tacky - and BMWs are anything but that when new.

Oh, and I vacuum the house - even if I do use a Dyson. 

Each to their own.......

Peace
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:55 pm

It is indeed not a matter of being pompous or not, it is just a case that it is not a correct description of a car. I expect that the same would be said on a Porsche Cayenne forum (if that exists …), they would not describe their cars as Jeeps either. I don't think it has anything to do with the cost of the car either.

What you call the car yourself is obviously up to you, but on an enthusiast forum it would be generally frowned upon, no matter which make.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:24 pm

its a slang! dear god people! its just a description.  Really? are you guys serious.  Its hilarious.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:29 pm

[quote="kjb1"]
its a slang! dear god people! its just a description.  Really? are you guys serious.  Its hilarious.
[/quote]

SLANG:  It lowers, if temporarily, "the dignity of formal or serious speech or writing"; in other words, it is likely to be considered in those contexts a "glaring misuse of register."

Nuff said  :)

Back on topic though, that description implies either a glaring lack of knowledge by the seller, or perhaps an attempt to upsell/mis-sell what is really a low spec car - even if with Nappa leather.  Lack of nav seems an odd omission given the rest of the car unless the mapping in Ireland is poor?
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:52 pm

oh dear god you are all quite serious.  Frightening how silly people become over something so so pointless.  You guys are arguing over someone referring to an X5 as a jeep or truck etc.  SAD springs to mind.  Im actually slightly embarrassed for you guys knowing this is an open forum for others to peruse, and read these over inflated statements on BMW, and more so the X5. 

sonny007

Post by sonny007 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:26 am

STAY AWAY FROM THAT!!!

This guy has been trying to get shot of that x5 since last summer!! I remember the ad from gumtree and pistonheads.

High tax, high miles and I believe its an accident repaired also.

Good luck :)
E53 2005 3.0d Sterling Grey, 20 Inch V Spoke, SatNav, Exclusive Black Leather Comfort Heated f/r Seats, Heated steering wheel, Power folding side mirrors, Panoramic Sunroof, Auxiliary heater, Xenons, Climate Windscreen Parrot MKi9200

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm

[quote="kjb1"]
oh dear god you are all quite serious.  Frightening how silly people become over something so so pointless.  You guys are arguing over someone referring to an X5 as a jeep or truck etc.  SAD springs to mind.  Im actually slightly embarrassed for you guys knowing this is an open forum for others to peruse, and read these over inflated statements on BMW, and more so the X5.
[/quote]

Not pointless at all, or sad, it's not a jeep......or a truck......, that's a fact.  As for "these overinflated statements on BMW and more so the X5", what on earth do you mean?  People are responding to questions about an Irish vehicle for sale described in a way which does not fit with the factory description  -  can't see anything "overinflated" about that?
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

The Doc

Post by The Doc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:15 pm

[quote="shadrack"]
dont bother, its not cheap, its a ball ache to get and if there so clueless to list it as a le mans sport despite le mans been blue what else are they bull shitting about
[/quote]

:)) Get told - good man