Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adding telestart t91

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
aubordulac

Re: Adding telestart t91

Post by aubordulac » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:41 am

@Timh: we already get in touch via ebay (alias: yrutge) ;)
Discussing about this option (webasto telestart upgrade) on my french X forum, I have been alerted on a possible problem regarding my MY (2006)
Do you think there could be some difference between pre and post facelift ?
Tim, which model year is yours ?

Timh

Post by Timh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Mine is a 2005 facelift. I don't think there will be any issue. As long as your is a diesel.

Tim

paulbryson75

Post by paulbryson75 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Tim - great write up.
When i did mine I did not add the antenna - it still works well but you need to be relatively close to activate.
Should have done the antenna as it was offered to me when I bought the telestart.
Would certainly retrofit an antenna if I could find one.
Paul
02 X5 3.0d SE - Mods: Double exhaust, Angel eyes, orange bits removed! M-Sport steering wheel, e70 X5 Alloys, Aftermarket Sat/Nav DVD with rear screen, Webasto T91 Telestart, skid pan.

mccabema

Post by mccabema » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Slightly off topic but on the same subject.....I have a "combustion air fan" fault with my Webasto at the moment. I have a feeling its an inconsistent fault due to the unit not being used before now (I just coded it).

I can hear the fan spin up but it oscillates after about 5 minutes operation and then cuts out. Its not gone yet...but its on the way out for sure.

Maybe firing it up a few times will loosen up the fan but I am having the whole unit serviced next week regardless.

In the last few days it has been below 5c.

I drove about 10 minutes from home and pulled into a driveway only to notice a cloud of smoke behind me !

My heart sank as for a second I thought it was a blown head...but as I got out of the vehicle, I noticed it was actually the webasto exhaust !

Can someone clarify if the webasto fires up in transit just for the purpose of heating the engine block?

I was under the impression that the unit only fired up when:

1.you have the timers set.

2.you have a remote telestart kit and turn it on.

Is the unit firing whilst driving from a cold start usual behavior and I just never noticed before because it is operating intermittently ?

Or have I got more gremlins than I bargained for??

mccabema

Post by mccabema » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Okay...so I'm almost there !

Installed the T91 today and I'm glad to report that the combustion air fan fault is gone...but now when I run a diagnostic I get

21 IHKA: IH check valve. LHA changeover valve

Do these stick if they have not been used in a while? Is there a simple fix rather than a replacement?

Any help...as always....greatly appreciated.

mccabema

Post by mccabema » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:34 am

Is it this little bugger ?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=64&fg=18

Part no. 64116906652

And would this being faulty explain why I always have to keep the temp control in the centre console on more than one blue dot....I always though the heating has been running hot in this ! Not the same as any of my past BMW. Keeping the temp control on one blue one red always worked for me. Now I'm always pushing further into the blue !
:?

Nessimmersion

Post by Nessimmersion » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:15 pm

This is in reply to my earlier post, I've got the T90 for VW group, ( considerably cheaper - this might be the reason why) its only got 5 wires coming from the unit, which terminate in 2 plugs with 3 wires common to each.
See attached pics of the innards of the T90.
Has anyone got any idea which VW wire colours correspond to the Pin Nos or 3 wires required for BMW, I'm quite willing to chop and terminate the wires on the cabling & in the car, only not sure which ones are which. TinH's input gratefully accepted.

malc1950

Post by malc1950 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Sorry to butt in but i need help, my park heater works fine with the timers on the OBC fires up and warms the inside of the car, so i then fitted my telestart t91 to my X5
and all it will do from a "very close range" is turn on the park heater but it wont fire up then it stops after 30sec, have checked the battery in the remote and its ok,
has anyone got an answer to my problem, Thanks Malc
2004 3.0d Sport Facelift Remaped, Schnitzer styling body kit, Black leather
Neon lights, Elec fold in mirr, 6Cd changer,DSP, Sat nav, Bluetooth, Wood pack
Speed camera warning, Heated front seats, Wabasto heater, Auto wipers lights,  Rear view camera.

peinu

Re: Adding telestart t91 complete instructions

Post by peinu » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:13 pm

Hello there. I'm new to this forum. Just got our first bimmer, E53 3.0d, a month ago. Since it's pretty cold in Finland at this time of the year, I started seeking information on installing T91 to the car. This thread proved to be one of the most useful ones. So I went ahead and installed the T91 and documented the whole thing to help the others too.

I hope this helps someone out there.

BMW X-5 E53 Webasto Telestart T91 installation step-by-step for grannies

https://picasaweb.google.com/109512567208015255889/BMWX5E53WebastoTelestartT91InstallationStepByStepForGrannies
BMW X.5 E53 3.0d -06
Saab 9-5 2.0TTid Aero -11
Saab 9-3 2.0T Hirsch Convertible -05

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Please excuse my total ignorance...

What is a Telestart..? & what does this upgrade achieve ?

I have a 3.0D Sport, and any tweeks I can give it - I'm all ears.

Kindest regards.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Diesel E53s have the Webasto unit for fast warm up, but it can also provide an additional 'Aux Heating' function for a suitably high BMW fee!

All the upgrade consisted of was a Webasto Telestart receiver plugged into a pre-wired socket in the boot, and a key fob to make it work.

The original Telestart was a T60 I think.  Long since superseded but the socket wiring is unchanged so the later T70/80/90/91 can be used instead.  They aren't cheap, but cheaper than BMW want.  They do come up on fleabay at about £100 a go.

E70s and beyond only got the system as a £1,200 option!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Ahhhh.. understood, sounds good