Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gutted, Bloody hidden rust!!!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Zakbelle

Re: Gutted, Bloody hidden rust!!!

Post by Zakbelle » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Yeah bmw just mentioned every imperfection on the body but I hate to bite my tongue so as not to say 'what the hell has that got to do with the rust in the inner tailgate'!! But ultimately I need these guys on my side until they come back and say they aren't gonna cover it then maybe I can change tack. If that all fails then maybe a trip I my local body shop to catch it before it looks embarrassing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:14 pm

[quote="shadrack"]
Body shop near me recons with e46 front arches they either go fully or not at all. Some thing to do with wings manuafactured at different sites. How true I dont know
[/quote

Its to do with inner arch liner trapping muck and moisture!! they rot from the inside out!! had it on my M3 CS!!!

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:15 pm

don't know how i have incorporated my comment into your quote lol

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Square bracket ] missing....where it says [/quote
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:22 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
[quote="kjb1"]
bmw of that era all rust !!! look at e39's, covered in rust, e46's and e46 m3's, the front arches and rear arches both go!!!
[/quote]

Another sweeping generic statement!  My 2005 E46 is rust free!  No bubbling or other signs of problems with the paintwork in or out of the wheel arches.  It depends upon where they are kept and how they are maintained.  Some cars kept close to the coast will rust because of the salt air, others because they aren't maintained.

All my cars are kept clean (including door shuts etc) and kept waxed and that makes a big difference.  Undersides are washed too, as are the usual mud/water traps and as soon as the salt spreading stops I always clean the whole car.

Richard
[/quote]

Not a sweeping statement atall Richard.  Google M3 front arches or go on M3 cutters forum!!!!! And read up there!!!! before trying to make me out to be something I am not.  It is proven that M3 and e46 arches rust from inside out due to inner arch liner!! remove your inner liner and take a look!! bet it is sopping with moisture and no doubt started but not come through yet.  Many thanks!!!!!

kjb1

Gutted, Bloody hidden rust!!!

Post by kjb1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:24 pm

And sorry but what is this "Another????" statement about? where else have I made a generic sweeping statement?

Regarding my Remap thread, I take it that emoji was clearly a sarcastic swipe at me then yes? along with the comment.  I didn't quite know how to take it at the time, but now I clearly do.  Thanks very much!!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Jeez you're sensitive!!  No one is out to get you or get at you.
No sarcastic swipe at all.  It was genuine.  I am glad you are pleased with the remap.  No malice intended at all - not my style, nor would I want to start.
Conversation over, back to the thread....

OP....one thing to also try if BMW won't play and you have to deal with the rust might be wax inside that panel (assuming you can get at it) to at least reduce future breakouts.  A number of owners reported wax dripping from the lower tailgate on hot days when the cars were brand new.  Mine certainly did it for the first Summer.  Perhaps there's an issue with some losing too much wax and the salt spray in the winter penetrating what's left?  Only a guess though.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Thats fine then, but really it wasn't a generic sweeping statement, you are in the minority!! and I bet if you took the inner arch off from front arches, there would more than likely be moist crud under there ( unless its never been driven in rain etc ).  Its very common on e46, and a poor design fault which BMW recognises in The good old USA but not over here. 

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:47 pm

And not just associated with M3.  But e46 in general, google " e46 front wheel arch and before you even finish typing rust comes up on predictor. 

I am slightly sensitive yes, as it seems here regarding the thread where a chap was asking did an X5 ad look ok? and I passed my comments on it, I seemed to have a free for all my ways!! when I was perfectly justified in what I was saying!! if anyone was making sweeping statements there it was my oppo there.  So sensitive yes, here, real life, no.  And you have taken off arch liners?? lol bet not lost!!

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Well as long as it's localised to the tailgate then I will try to get it treated and sprayed, the bmw guy was saying  that the only cure was to replace the whole panel! Big gulp at the dealer cost for that!! Lol no signs of rust anywhere else just scratches from the previous owner

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:06 pm

Don't let it spoil your enjoyment of the car mate you've got it now I didn't check my radio and  fan so that cost me a couple of ££ to rectify but hey it's only money oh yeh new battery door lock come to think of it it's now ££££ I've spent  :)
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:13 pm

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:36 am

BMW used forecourts are not exempt from having used cars that have had repairs including  paintless  dent  removal ,  smart repairs and stone chips sorted.

Many owners don't keep on top of small knocks and scuffs and money can be added to a car by completing minor cosmetic repairs and other preparation prior to resale. Some prior owners have work done and quality can vary.

If you can get them to sort the tailgate all good but fact remains buying auc is not a guarantee a car has never had a cosmetic repair.....I accept quality can vary but I also accept that as a buyer it is for me to scrutinise unless given 100% assurance of Nil prior repairs.
Last edited by AW8 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:44 pm

Got a great result today bmw are gonna replace the whole lower tailgate and paint it all for free and I get a courtesy car ( unfortunately an x3) just hope they can match the paint :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Definitely a good result...... :ok: