Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 (F15) - any UK forum members with an SE with paddle gear shifters on the stee

richard_m

X5 (F15) - any UK forum members with an SE with paddle gear shifters on the stee

Post by richard_m » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:58 am

Hello there,

I’m about to order an X5 xDrive30D SE in the UK and I was hoping to get paddle gear shifts on the steering wheel.

I know it’s a standard feature of the M Sport. The dealer has said it’s possible on an SE but I can’t find any BMW documentation which supports this.

I don’t want to pay £4k extra to get an M Sport just to get the paddle shifters!

My guess would be I’d need the Sports Steering Wheel (“255” on the options list) plus possible also Sports Automatic Transmission (“2TB”) which is what you’d spec on a 5 series to get this. But there’s nothing in the brochure or options list which states this.

I was hoping there might be someone on the forum who has a SE in the UK who has paddle shifters and can tell me which options they ordered to get it, or perhaps a dealer who can confirm this specifically?

Thanks!

Richard

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X5 (F15) - any UK forum members with an SE with paddle gear shifters on the stee

Post by X5Sport » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:49 am

Does this page from Realoem with the parts/options lists give you any usable clues about what you need to have in your option list?

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

DoubleD

Re: X5 (F15) - any UK forum members with an SE with paddle gear shifters on the stee

Post by DoubleD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:25 am

Hi Richard,

I've got a xDrive40d SE on order and 100% sure I will have the paddles. In my case I've ordered the Dynamic Pack which includes this option.

I believe the option to have the paddles without the Dynamic Pack is the Sports Automatic Transmission which is a £305 premium on the 30D. I don't think the sports steering wheel is required but I could be wrong. Check with the dealer and get them to confirm though.

DoubleD

Post by DoubleD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:03 am

Actually I think you do need both the sports steering wheel and sports auto box. The sports auto box is £195 and the sports steering wheel is £110. So together that seems to be the price difference between the standard auto model and the sports auto model, at least that's the case on the 40D on the online Configurator. Strange there is no equivalent model on their for the 30D even though you can manually add these options.

richard_m

Post by richard_m » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks! That's fantastic feedback! And backed up by a nice exploded diagram of the sports (but not MSport) wheel showing the paddles!

I think this might just be a cock up in their printed brochure/options list. The 5 Series brochure explicitly states that the combination of Sport Automatic Transmission + Sports Steering Wheel gets you the paddle shift. I guess they forgot to add that line of text to the X5 brochure.

Thanks again! Now to go place the order...

Richard

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 am

I have the steering wheel paddle shift and to be honest, forget it's there's as I just never use it.  How many actually do?  It was something I thought I would use, but in reality it's a gimmick on a 4x4 IMO.  So I guess what I'm saying is, maybe do a straw poll to see how many actually use it before splashing out.

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:24 am

I certainly use mine, particularly if I need to execute a quick overtake as I can preselect the gear I need and then put the power on at the right moment.

I don't use it much in normal driving but it does at least allow me to shift the box with both hands still on the wheel and without having to wait for the kickdown at the right moment, even if I'm not using 'Sport' mode itself.

I would say it's very useful rather than essential.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:34 am

Didnt have it on last one but wanted it.
Got it on new one and dont use it
:)
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end