Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aux-in installation problem

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
windy

Post by windy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 pm

I had planned to follow this guide to add an aux-in to my 3.0D Sport (build date 07/2001, with Nav & DSP) however I seem to have an issue. This part of the install, which details "... you can attach the other end to the spare connector on the back of the OBM unit. The module itself will plug into the factory/standard wiring harness and no additional work is required"

I'm assuming that the cable plugs into the back of the HU, but there's nowhere on the back of mine:

and I've checked the loom in the dash, and can't find anywhere along there either. I did notice that the HU in the guide has a different part number to mine (mines a tape deck too)

Any suggestions? Is it because mine's an early car? I've installed a few of these aux-in leads in the past (Z4, E46 M3) so I can usually find my way around these things.

fenj66

Re: Aux-in installation problem

Post by fenj66 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:17 pm

i did the same job on mine a while back and found the socket for the new aux harness to plug into- in the loom behind the HU. however mine was an 05 car. i do seem to recall there was indeed an issue as to whether older cars had this pre wired socket.
05 stirling grey 3.0d Auto. mods - park heater, reverse cam, aux in

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 am

Looking at accesories brochure it lists 2 parts both for cars built after 10/02 65120153502 for bussiness non comms & same number ending 503 for comms pack.

From memory if yours was built after 4/01 it has the 16:9 screen head unit.

Even if widescreen I checked xoutpost which states can only be fitted to MY 2003 onwards which ties with the 10/02 reference.

I believe there may be other ways around this but way out of my league....................sorry.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

windy

Post by windy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:29 am

Cheers mate. Yeah, had it conformed somewhere else that my car's too early. Damm.

It has the 16:9 and a Mk4 DVD in the boot so it may have been upgraded at some point.

I'm guessing this scuppers me being able to use the MP3-player part of a Parrot phone kit?

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:58 am

I cant comment on the parrot compatability & functions........havent a clue -sorry.

I also checked realoem & for a 7/01 car it showed the aux lead kits as not suitable.

Unclear as best route to sort. This thread suggests you wont resolve the issue without changing the radio module to a newer BM54 item & possibly having to lose the function of your CD player.

Sanj is your man for car toys & electrics albeit his car newer & a facelift.

If he cant help then maybe email martin at "bimmernav" or contact "toys in your car" failing that there are more dedicated discussion groups that often cover BMW in car audio issues try these links

I'm bugging out now as my knowledge genuinely limited in this area when compared to some others, (I dont like to BS folk if I dont know my subject well).
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 am

Depending on which parrot you have it uses it's own built in amplifier for mp3 playback

windy

Post by windy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:30 am

Cheers AW8

[quote=""squeaky2""]Depending on which parrot you have it uses it's own built in amplifier for mp3 playback[/quote]

So it plays through the Parrot unit itself? Through a built-in speaker?

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Windy,

How far have you got with this?

The Aux cable you bought should have the aux female on one end and the 3/4 pin cable connector on the other end (as per your pic). That other end goes into a connector on the harness, not the back of the unit. See if it is wrapped up tightly on that loom behind the unit.

Otherwise plan B, go for the aux connector already available in the back of the centre console marked AV In/Out...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

windy

Post by windy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:51 am

Cheers Sanj. I think mine's the early version that doesn't have any wiring for the aux in — I traced the loom as far back as I could and there was nothing there.

I tried the rear aux-in when I got it but the sound was awful. And it only works through the TV, not as a true aux-in selected via the HU.

Suppose I could go old skool and get one of these...

and just reroute the wiring. Though I doubt the sound quality will be any good?

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:54 am

You'll be surprised - I used one for a while and it was very good.

You're right about the rear console button - sorry, duff info. Puzzled yours doesn't have that connector though? :scratchhead:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

RichardP

Post by RichardP » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:01 pm

The Aux connector was only fitted behiend the monitor from September 2002 production on. A July 2001 car will not have the wires or the radio module that has the Aux capability.

However, it looks like your monitor has been replaced, it's production week is in February 2002. It's just possible that the radio module has been replaced too, check it's KW and part number. If the radios KW is also in 2002, or later, then you may will have an Aux capable radio, you'll just need to connect to the radio directly.