Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ORIS ELECTRIC TOWBAR PROBLEM

Claudeyboy

ORIS ELECTRIC TOWBAR PROBLEM

Post by Claudeyboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi all, thought I would join this forum to see if anyone has experienced a problem attaching their caravan to the factory fitted electric Oris towbar on their F15 Msport 2015.  I have a 2014 Swift Continental Caravan with a standard ALKO hitch. The caravan attaches to the car but the hitch is so close to the bumper it is impossible to tow the van other than in a straight line! If you turn the car at an angle to the caravan the ALKO tow hitch hits the bumper.  I have left this with BMW at the moment to sort but very interested to see if anyone else has had the same issue.  Clearly potentially a very dangerous issue if I had towed the thing! 
Last edited by Claudeyboy on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ORIS ELECTRIC TOWBAR PROBLEM

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:08 pm

EU spec only requires a minimum of 65mm so if that is what you have got then it’s nothing to do with BMW.  They are not responsible for what outfit you tow.  As long as the towball meets the data in the diagram below then it is not their problem at all.

Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Claudeyboy

Post by Claudeyboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks very much for your response, not that I wanted to hear it really. This tow bar is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot then as every caravan that I know of is fitted with an ALKO hitch.  I will let you know what BMW come back with.  Thanks again.

Claudeyboy

Post by Claudeyboy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:31 pm

Now decided after a bit of homework that I will keep the Oris electric towbar on the car, as any other tow bar seems to need cuts and additional trim the rear skirt, but replace the ALKO hitch on my caravan with a Winterhoff hitch which does not need the extended tow ball and complies with the EU 65mm space between bumper and centre of tow ball.  Incidentally with the limited wiring on the factory BMW electrics it does mean that the electronic stabilisation on the caravan, if you have this, will not be powered up and thus will not be working....another issue for me.

TimX5

Post by TimX5 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:03 pm

[quote="Claudeyboy"]
Now decided after a bit of homework that I will keep the Oris electric towbar on the car, as any other tow bar seems to need cuts and additional trim the rear skirt, but replace the ALKO hitch on my caravan with a Winterhoff hitch which does not need the extended tow ball and complies with the EU 65mm space between bumper and centre of tow ball.  Incidentally with the limited wiring on the factory BMW electrics it does mean that the electronic stabilisation on the caravan, if you have this, will not be powered up and thus will not be working....another issue for me.
[/quote]

I think the alko hitch can be swopped for a Winterhoff so you should be ok , I've got a e53 x5 with a witter detachable towbar and a sterling Eccles sport 586  2014 with alko hitch and it is close to the bumper but does not foul.

Claudeyboy

Post by Claudeyboy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks for that, yes I will offer the new hitch up before I buy and hope that there is sufficient clearance.  Still be interested to see what BMW come back with on Tuesday.  Let you know Cheers

TimX5

Post by TimX5 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:10 pm

[quote="Claudeyboy"]
Thanks for that, yes I will offer the new hitch up before I buy and hope that there is sufficient clearance.  Still be interested to see what BMW come back with on Tuesday.  Let you know Cheers
[/quote]

There will be enough clearance just double check that the brake rods are compatible with each other before purchasing.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:10 pm

Knowing BMW of old, they'll say it's not their problem and it's up to Owners to check suitability of both the caravan, trailer, horse box etc and car for the intended use.

It would have made sense if ALKO made their systems compatible with the EU Standard as from what I am reading into this, it is the trailer hitch that is the issue rather than the Towbar.  I suppose there is a fair opposing argument that says have the Towbar further than the minimum rather than at the minimum.

I know we looked at various different caravans last year and some used ALKO whereas others used another hitch system (Bailey twin-axle used something different to the single axle) which might have been the Winterhoff.  Not one dealer made any mention of clearance checks though.  Whether that is because the Westphalia non-electric Towbar that BMW use on my X6 doesn't have the same clearance problem I don't know.  I've never measured mine.

One answer that BMW did give was that the UK caravan market was different to the rest of Europe.  My comment was that the car should be equipped for the market the car was sold in - in other words for the UK!  >:(

Claudeyboy

Post by Claudeyboy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback, it has helped a lot especially with how I deal with BMW over both the tow bar and the electrics.  I reckon I will be al least £500 down by the end of this week to sort this lot out for no fault of my own, but I need to tow the caravan this coming weekend for a well earned holiday which would cost even more if I cancelled it, so I have taken the bull by the horns to see if I can sort it myself.  Hitch collecting and fitting Tuesday morning and the electrics booked in for Tuesday afternoon as you have all convinced me that BMW will not sort it quickly and probably not at all. Incidentally a great point that ALKO are as much to blame along with the caravan production and sales teams.  BMW are very clearly to blame for the electrics.  I will let you know if my plan all works, what it costs were and the BMW response and will react to them appropriately, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised and they will foot the bill!!.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Sounds like a plan.

Our Mini Countrymam had the same electrics issue and the Mini side of the same BMW dealer who sorted my X6, refused point blank to sort it, as did Mini GB.  Unlike BMW there wasn't even a Mini 'repair kit' to resolve it.

Claudeyboy

Post by Claudeyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:53 pm

Job Done! Put a Winterhoff 3000D Hitch onto my caravan and removed the offending ALKO so now have a caravan that I can tow again,Hitch cost £259 and a new hitch lock £69 from Western Towing in Exeter 01392 216336 they were very helpful indeed. This took about half an hour and not difficult at all, just have to use a pin to retain the brake piston on the hitch bar while you change the hitches over. Also had the electrics checked it seems I will not have a Fridge or Charging while towing but the stability system will be powered up OK.  Can now go on holiday this weekend.............................phew!.......still not heard from my friends at BMW!!!!!  I will keep you updated.