Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Road Deposits on Paintwork

General car related chat
The Mechanic

Road Deposits on Paintwork

Post by The Mechanic » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:25 pm

I am not one of those people that washes their car every five minutes.  However, when I do wash it, I have noticed that some parts of the paintwork, notable the lower doors and wings, are rough to the touch and appear to have road deposits stuck to the paint.  Can anyone suggest the best thing to remove these deposits and to restore the paintwork to a smooth state.  The car was treated with BMW bodywork treatment that is supposed to prevent this sort of thing but does not seem to do so.

BTW it is a X5 E70 30d MSport 2012
Never knowingly underfed

2012 E70 30d M Sport

Mpower

Re: Road Deposits on Paintwork

Post by Mpower » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Try Tardis (tar remover)if the spots are black or a fallout remover (for tiny metallic particles)

Good luck!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:59 pm

The BMW paint stuff doesn't work for very long at all.  A few months only in my experience.  One version they did had to be redone every 6 weeks.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi
After washing the car then you could try a clay bar kit such as Meguiars use it with a deiling solution and the bar cleans off deposits, but take it slowly and keep plenty of fluid on the panel you are cleaning

Remember to read the instructions warming the bar if cold in warm water rinsing and turning it to use a new bit of it and then it goes from nearly white to grey with the deposits showing what you are removing.

You won't believe how smooth it is then just use a polish or wax on the car and it will feel better and look cleaner.

Hope that helps
Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:30 pm

I agree with the above in that I would wash the car first, then use a 'tar' remover followed by claying as graemeX5 describes (several places do a water lubricated bar now which is cheaper and just as easy to use with great results) then polish, re-wash, dry, glaze and finally wax. 

Thereafter if you notice a few spots, the tar remover followed by a detailing spray will keep you on top of things.

The above will have your X gleaming once more with a beautiful smooth finish that will be easier to clean in the future too.

HTH
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks guys, will give the claying a go.
Never knowingly underfed

2012 E70 30d M Sport

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon May 11, 2015 7:46 am

I've got a clay mitt (after years of clay bars) and it's a superb addition. A lot easier to use than a bar and makes the whole claying a lot easier. Again just keep the surfaces lubricated and your paintwork will feel very smooth afterwards.