Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New York advice

General off-topic chat.
AnilS

New York advice

Post by AnilS » Tue May 05, 2015 9:49 pm

Guys, my beloved is treating me and the kids (as part of my 50th) to a 5 day trip to New York  :)

Never been and will definitely be visiting the 911 memorial and Statue of Liberty, but what else?

Any experiences?

Thanks
Nissan GTR  :xmaswink:

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: New York advice

Post by Sanj » Tue May 05, 2015 10:11 pm

NOT ANSWERING THIS THREAD OR LETTING THE WIFE KNOW!

BEWARE! Major expenditure to your pocket imminent!

MODS please delete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Imy

Post by Imy » Wed May 06, 2015 7:06 am

I preferred the rocker fella to the empire state. Less queuing and equally good views. Central Park zoo is an excellent shout with the kids as is toys r us in times square. It's the  size of a department store! You should also either head over Brooklyn Bridge or take the path train to exchange place and enjoy the views of the manahattan skyline.
Last edited by Imy on Wed May 06, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed May 06, 2015 9:14 am

Ah, my favourite city - never bores me even though I used to go once a month almost.

- Food wise - if you are into your steaks, Smith and Wollensky is the place to go to. Expensive but great
- Statue of liberty - you can take the free Statten Island ferry to get pretty close, I went on the island before 9/11 but it is a lot more restricted.
- Ellis island where the immigrants came in, I thought it was worth the trip together with the visit to Statue of Liberty
- Take a sight seeing tour, it will show you all the bits and you can revisit back at leasure.
- Taxis are cheap, not the London rip off prices so good to use where required, but you can walk a lot easily unless you are lazy like sanj  :P
- Central park, Dakota building - must see really.
- DON'T do the Guggenheim museum, weird place.
- 5th avenue - great for wandering about, don't let your wife in the shops  :o

The list is endless really, but most importantly, plan in advance exactly what you are going to do. It makes it so much easier.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

AnilS

Post by AnilS » Wed May 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Cheers guys.

Good advice, even Sanj's  :P

Firstly, kids will be 17 and 18. We don't eat beef (religion  :-[)

I will into items mentioned, but I'm not one for massive planning. Wife on the other hand .....................................................................

Not lazy like Sanj but do have a knee problem. Wife loves the Premium outlets for bargains. Are there any there?

Time to brush up on Man V Food in New York  :))

Imy

Post by Imy » Wed May 06, 2015 4:12 pm

why didnt you specify how old your kids were!

TBH I enjoy going to Toys R Us in times sq!!

Ive never planned when Ive gone either always just played it by ear, but then ive got a very big social circle there so maybe I can get away with it. As PVR says, there is a lot to do.

In regards to outlet malls, I think there is one near the twin towers memorial but I haven't been,  would always go out to Jersey City where the big malls and outlet shopping is. Outlet shopping is a bit crap since most of it is dead stock but you can always find something, my Mrs found plenty.
You can jump on a Path train from the 9/11 memorial site and head down to Newport where there is a big mall. Or if you cab it you could go to Jersey City and head over to Jersey Gardens Mall (serious shopping), I think this place will be your best bet.

No Beef? Too bad, youl miss the brilliant strip steaks and Nathans Hot dogs, on the flip side try the chicken and rice food stalls that you find on most street corners, google it.

I don't know if you guys drink but they are pretty strict on the over 21 thing but they accept anything with a photo as id. get a few fake id's made for the kids :)

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Wed May 06, 2015 4:19 pm

[quote="AnilS"]

We don't eat beef........

[/quote]

And you're going to America?????

Boy are you going to stick out!!!
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

AnilS

Post by AnilS » Wed May 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Blimey. You lot are hard to please  :))

Other than Beef, we eat most foods so I'm sure there is plenty of choice.

We will be stopping at the Hampton Inn, so quite central I think.

Shopping not a priority but sightseeing is.  8)

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:19 am

I don't hear of vegetarians hating NY trips so your family's respected religious based choice shouldn't be an issue mate.

You can always share a big apple ;)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Imy

Post by Imy » Thu May 07, 2015 11:44 am

Vegetarian food and healthy eating is currently quite a big trend in NYC. As you said, you will be fine...

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 pm

You must have breakfast in a diner, I always skip the hotel breakfast to have it there.

Nothing like the buzz and traditional (usually Italian) madhouse to have your breakfast in. A real NY experience in my opinion.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon May 11, 2015 7:28 am

NY is great even if you are vegetarian like myself and wife. Texas however is another story.... ::)
We went NY back in 2000 and it was a great place. Plenty to do and see and food in abundance. Pretty much all covered above with where to go and what to see. We never planned tbf and just went with the flow.

My wife is hankering to go back which says a lot as it's pretty much the only place she has said that about.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Mon May 11, 2015 8:51 am

We were there in February, yes while they were experiencing their coldest winter for years and it was bloody cold!  We went to an outlet but I'll have to ask the wife the name,  it was good but prices were still high.  Only issue was for the wife, daughter (12) and me it was over $100 dollars on the bus.

Don

sneax

Post by sneax » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:47 am

I met a gal on a trip few weeks ago, she moved from NY, grown up there upstate, to Palermo, claiming that it's soo easier to make a living, even though she was actually living there (Italy) off project work, so nothing stable.

This is how I came to identify NY with expensive hell.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:07 pm

[quote="AnilS"]
Guys, my beloved is treating me and the kids (as part of my 50th) to a 5 day trip to New York  :)

Never been and will definitely be visiting the 911 memorial and Statue of Liberty, but what else?

Any experiences?

Thanks
[/quote]

How about...
Climb the empire state building
Go for a walk in the Battery Park
Visit Time Square
Visit Central Park (this is huge, maybe rent bikes)
Walk along Broadway you will find massive stores by almost every brand imaginable.
911 memorial has an observatory - go if the sky is clear
Rockefeller center
Natural history museum where that movie was themed - forget the name now
Helicopter, boat tours
U can even do day tours or rent a car and drive to Washington and back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d