Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

key fob stopped working

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Clive

key fob stopped working

Post by Clive » Mon May 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi all my key fob has stopped working it's been find got up in morning will not lock or open doors now so have to put key in door now. My spare key is the same tried to reset them but still the same could it just be the rechargeable battery in it has packed in any info plz cheers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: key fob stopped working

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 25, 2015 7:25 pm

If you have a search on here there is a re-training guide to recode the keys.  It may be the key receiver unit has failed?

Another thing to try is to drive the car away a few miles and try again.  It shouldn't happen these days but there was a serious issue with keys working in the old 418MHz channel, hence cars moving to 433MHz.

There were press reports last week about key jammers being used to prevent cars being locked (or unlocked if already locked) to allow for thefts of the contents etc. >:(
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon May 25, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed May 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Got a new rechargeable battery today cut fob open cut the metal clip off battery slid new one in glued fob back together reset key bingo it works again

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Excellent news.  Keep an eye on it in case it's the inductive charging ring around the ignition switch that has packed in.  I don't know a simple way of testing it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed May 27, 2015 10:37 pm

Will do pulled my spare key fob apart someone has already took the rechargeable battery out and just fitted a standard one might buy a new one see if I can get it grafting.