Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Chris Evans for Top Gear

General off-topic chat.
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chris Evans for Top Gear

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:33 pm

Not really a surprise given his 'petrolhead' status.

Perhaps he'll be quite good at it......
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Mpower

Re: Chris Evans for Top Gear

Post by Mpower » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:33 pm

Who is he replacing,Gezza?

Mars

Post by Mars » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm not that keen on him, to be honest, but I think he's a good fit for the role - hopefully he will bring his Daytona Spyder into the studio, would love to see that in more detail.
2014 3.0d M Sport (the snail)
Porsche Macan ordered 2017

Mars

Post by Mars » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:38 pm

[quote="Mpower"]
Who is he replacing,Gezza?
[/quote]

Yes - think the lineup also includes Jodie Kidd, the bird who did the fastest lap in the reasonably priced car
:)
2014 3.0d M Sport (the snail)
Porsche Macan ordered 2017

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:00 pm

Yuck, don't like Jody Kidd at all.

Chris should be ok as a presenter, but this would have to be a complete new format - which I would expect it will be.

Would not mind his pay check though …
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:21 am

Chris is a petrol head. He is a good presenter. Not sure that he will bring the viewers that Clarkson did though, along with May and Hammond. They had a spark, and just had fun. I think that is what I enjoyed about the show - it wasn't too serious. It was easy watching, but entertaining too.

Let's see...

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:18 pm

I might watch it to see if it's any good but since being amused by the original trio's antics on Sunday nights at 8:00pm from the beginning I'm don't think it could be improved upon…my opinion.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:47 pm

I will keep an open mind re Chris Evans. I used to find him ok on the big breakfast with Gaby Roslin but I can't really listen to him on Radio 2  - what with the silly hooter noises and constant intense excited tone which after a while can irritate and appear to lack sincerity.

I think Jodie Kidd isn't a bad choice - her classic car show with Quentin Wilson was watchable in most parts (not everyone likes his vampire looks but he knows what he is walking about).

Rebecca Johnson & Matt Watson (from I want that car), would add provenance for many as  arguably would Chris Harris or even Jason Dawe from the Used Car Roadshow......Steve Coogan likes and knows his cars & might help keep a lid on Chris's studio ego & keep him in check....(his brother Brendan once filled in for JC on TG, though some could argue Brendan's driving history might not appeal to the BBC - which is a shame).

In terms of presenters and programme style I guess it all depends if the producers want, factual, sexy, fundny Etc.
Ultimately the BBC want to provide entertainment and with those in the studio ideally having a presentation team dynamic.

At last years Festival Of Speed I thought  Chris Evans seemed more focused on waving to crowds than driving with any conviction up the Hill.  He is undeniably a huge Entertianment Personality - I just hope that he and the producers keeps some focus on other people featuring & importantly that they also keep appropriate focus on the cars.
Last edited by AW8 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.