Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New owner in Cornwall

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
BritRC

New owner in Cornwall

Post by BritRC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi All,

Recently picked up a 53 plate 3.0d Sport.

So far nothing but disappointment!

Worst built car I have ever owned;  if this is German engineering at its best, I can see why they lost the war!

Build quality is what I would expect of a car from the 80's, and the engineering design isn't any better.

Most likely be moving this on as soon as all the problems are sorted.

List so far:

Gearbox failed after 4 weeks ownership;  okay 100k miles and seems the muppets in Bavaria have only just (according to garage) changed the service intervals on the gearbox to deal with failures, so technically 2 services missed!

All the rubbish electrical connections on the rear lights have failed; not surprising they are the worst quality I have seen since the 70's. Soldered LED's in place of lamps, all working fine now.

Parking sensors appear to be long distance radar; they detect cars 20 feet away!

All suspension bushes shot. Not surprising with the geometry they have to go through; really bad design. Replaced all with new and Polybushed; ride is half decent now after four wheel alignment.

Rear passenger floor has mysteriously filed with water! Checked everything suggested online (rear AC drains,  front intake vent drains, door vapour cards), nothing amiss found so far!

Car was serviced today; oil service lights couldn't be reset, everything else could!

A number of non descript errors logged in various ECU's, no amount of Googling had revealed any answers.

Headlights lacquer peeling, replaced with complete new units.

Automatic position puts the lights on all the time regardless of day or night, no fault codes showing for this.

Red indicator light on the park position of the gear selector stays on permanently; is this right?

Number plate light warning permanently on due to bodged electrics; sorted with new complete rear handle unit. Tailgate didn't work off the old handle unit, still doesn't work off new one. Works off remote and interior button. Tonight has decided to work all by itself every time I start the car! Had to disconnect the electrics so I can use the car. Most likely related to the 1970's electrical connectors somewhere in the car.

All in all,  not what I expected of a BMW; will be going back to Jap once this is sorted and gone.

Any suggestions regarding the above gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Russ

gmc15

Re: New owner in Cornwall

Post by gmc15 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Surprised you bought it with so many problems :o
I think you have got a very bad example there, generally they are much better than that one :)
x6 M50d

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Never known one to have that much wrong with it.  Not the best introduction to BMW ownership.  A previous owner has most likely as you suggest failed to service it and bodged things as likely not to have been able to afford the running costs.  These are luxury cars with luxury spares costs.

Gearbox failures are very common with the pre-facelift box (and not just on the BMWs using that particular box).

The rear passenger floor could be a sunroof (if fitted) drain issue.  Known to block.  Another possible is the pipe to the rear washer hose has parted at a joint under the carpets.

Automatic light issue sounds like a faulty windscreen sensor.  Worth checking the 'window' at top centre of the screen.  It should be completely clear.  Any issue with the auto-wipers?  Sensor window is known to cloud over with time and needs the whole thing removing and repairing with optically clear glue.  If it isn't the sensor it might be the central light control module (LCM).  Expensive to replace!

The 'P' indicator should go out after 16 mins from the car being last used and locked.  If it's permanently on the car electrics/electronics are staying awake.  Indicates a fault condition if so, again possibly caused by a bodge job preventing sleep mode.

You need to use the BMW software (INPA) to read the codes correctly.  Code readers are little use.  If you are getting rid of it, then not worth chasing it down unless you want to buy a scanner 1.4.0 (search on the forum for details).  Tricky beast to set up on OS newer than XP unless you're IT literate.  Alternatively get it into BMW for a full code read - takes less than 30 mins.

Service light reset is different on pre-facelift cars compared to post facelift (late 2003 build onwards) version.
Last edited by X5Sport on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

BritRC

Post by BritRC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:14 pm

If it had all the problems when I looked at it I wouldn't own it now.

Rear lights and headlights, dash pixels out and front arm bushes were all that were picked up on inspection. The rest happened since the rain came in.

Had a new MOT from a trusted dealer.

Most of the problems aren't wear/age; they're poor quality design/manufacture, electrical connectors, ecu issues etc. some bodging.

I'm used to Jap cars, and this is like a cassette player compared to a iPod. In the tailgate there are wires rubbing against sharp metal and the wires are wrapped the old cloth loom tape, not modern fire retardant PVC. They aren't completely wrapped; just intermittently.

Mate had an X5 a couple years was raving about it! Won't trust his recommendations ever again.  :)

BritRC

Post by BritRC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:19 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Never known one to have that much wrong with it.  Not the best introduction to BMW ownership.  A previous owner has most likely as you suggest failed to service it and bodged things as likely not to have been able to afford the running costs.  These are luxury cars with luxury spares costs.

Gearbox failures are very common with the pre-facelift box (and not just on the BMWs using that particular box).

The rear passenger floor could be a sunroof (if fitted) drain issue.  Known to block.  Another possible is the pipe to the rear washer hose has parted at a joint under the carpets.

Automatic light issue sounds like a faulty windscreen sensor.  Worth checking the 'window' at top centre of the screen.  It should be completely clear.  Any issue with the auto-wipers?  Sensor window is known to cloud over with time and needs the whole thing removing and repairing with optically clear glue.  If it isn't the sensor it might be the central light control module (LCM).  Expensive to replace!

The 'P' indicator should go out after 16 mins from the car being last used and locked.  If it's permanently on the car electrics/electronics are staying awake.  Indicates a fault condition if so, again possibly caused by a bodge job preventing sleep mode.

You need to use the BMW software (INPA) to read the codes correctly.  Code readers are little use.  If you are getting rid of it, then not worth chasing it down unless you want to buy a scanner 1.4.0 (search on the forum for details).  Tricky beast to set up on OS newer than XP unless you're IT literate.  Alternatively get it into BMW for a full code read - takes less than 30 mins.

Service light reset is different on pre-facelift cars compared to post facelift (late 2003 build onwards) version.
[/quote]

No sun roof; wish it was that simple.

Auto wipers work fine,  lights are probably related to one of the unidentified codes.

Already bought the 1.4.0 scanner and MyCarly for android; both reporting unknown faults.

Will take a look at the washer pipe although it's not losing water from the washer bottle.

Thanks for the suggestions,  keep them coming.

Thanks,

Russ

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Really sorry to hear the nightmare you've been having, and as much as I agree that you've had a shit example, and as much as I can't explain you're findings, if the BMW was as bad as you have come across, they wouldn't be here today, certainly not as a premium brand.

I also wouldn't write off your mates recommendations so quickly.  These are very good cars, that like any other mass produced product can have a bad apple.  I had one in 2005 and after a year of finding fault after fault, got rid.  I then went Jap and as you rightly say, it was four years and 100k + of plan sailing and only a couple of very minor issues, but it isn't a premium product and I came back to BMW because the whole package is fair superior to anything coming out of Asia.

Certainly get rid of the X as it is a bad one.  Give the dealer a piece of your mind and hopefully you will have much better luck with your next purchase.

All the best,

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:14 pm

OK.  Check the floor drain bungs underneath are all in place.  After that it could be bad door seals.  Worth checking the boot area below the spare wheel for water too.  Damp in the module centre by the battery can cause all kinds of trouble.  Not unknown for water to get in there too.  Rear light seals are a known leak point for that one.  The foam gasket deteriorates over time.

You will need BMW diagnostics by the sounds of it - or at least access to someone with the GT1 system.  I'm not impressed with iCarly.  I have used it on my E46 and E71.  Too many factory option combinations varying by model year it just doesn't understand, or can address to read the stored codes.  More than half the system modules on our 2005 E46 (which has no error currently) it can't access or read at all, even though the supplier says it can.  It's better on the E71, but a long way off the proper software capabilities - for now at least.

I had my E53 6 years and never had wiring or connector issues, leaks, nor any modules fail.  It had odd electrical gremlins but all were known issues, and more often than not made worse by the BMW Dealer not understanding the root cause and changing the first thing that the computer error code suggested - frequently wrongly.  The biggest issue was a blown gearbox at 38,000 miles!

The cassette deck was always a puzzle to me too.  iDevice capability (limited hard wired) came from 2004 and to be fair to BMW not much was compatible car wise even then.  Those cars that did have it were often equipped with simple to replace in dash hardware, not the (overly) complex systems fitted to the luxury car market sector. The pre-facelift is 1999 tech and no one had heard of these things back then.  Full iDevice capability only appeared in around 2010 on the E70/71....as an expensive option.

The majority of X5 owners are perfectly happy but if you get a bad one, or a badly looked after one then you can get badly caught.

Sounds like you are having a bad time of it  >:(

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:24 pm

[quote="Don Coffey"]
Really sorry to hear the nightmare you've been having, and as much as I agree that you've had a shit example, and as much as I can't explain you're findings, if the BMW was as bad as you have come across, they wouldn't be here today, certainly not as a premium brand.

I also wouldn't write off your mates recommendations so quickly.  These are very good cars, that like any other mass produced product can have a bad apple.  I had one in 2005 and after a year of finding fault after fault, got rid.  I then went Jap and as you rightly say, it was four years and 100k + of plan sailing and only a couple of very minor issues, but it isn't a premium product and I came back to BMW because the whole package is fair superior to anything coming out of Asia.

Certainly get rid of the X as it is a bad one.  Give the dealer a piece of your mind and hopefully you will have much better luck with your next purchase.

All the best,

Don
[/quote]

+1
I had a 55. Plate X5 3.0d, but PX it a couple of years ago. Mine Had 93,000 miles on it when I bought it, full dealer history, very nice car, never missed a beat, I replaced the battery as a preventative measure as I do on all my cars. But apart from that it was brilliant, I've had Jap 4x4's.and found the X5 to be miles nicer to drive and own. When I was looking for the X5 I saw numerous crappy uncared for examples that I didn't even test drive, I just walked away. I was lucky picking a cared for one.
The trouble is many owners dream of owning their dream car, they buy it and then don't look after or maintain them and when they start going wrong pass them on to the next owner . You have been unlucky to have picked up a car with so many faults, especially expensive ones such as the gearbox.
I feel for you. Hope you manage to get to the bottom of all its problems. I'm not surprised you have grown to hate the brand. good Luck.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:45 pm

Did you pay top dollar for it ?
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:11 am

Welcome - Sorry to hear of experience to date.

Good advice posted above.

If the tailgate locking still not right I would go back to whoever repaired it as they clearly haven't sorted it properly. If you fixed it yourself you need to revisit your work or get  assistance of someone more qualified.

I have owned BMW's but far more Japanese cars.....I appreciate the reliability of Japanese cars but accept they roo can have faults and wear tear issues. Even if mileage is correct your car is 12 years old and has done over 100k therefore it stands some issues are down use, wear and tear or neglect to repair. I accept the comments some faults have been found in your ownership.

Despite me agreeing some Japanese cars might be less problematic I can't think of a Japanese car of superior build quality & better driving dynamics for similar value to your X5 albeit a Gen 2 Lexus RX probably comes closest if you don't need the tow capacity, find the performance & road driving dynamics acceptable & are mindful the air suspension models come with repair bill potential.
Last edited by AW8 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

BritRC

Post by BritRC » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Previously owned a Land Cruiser, and I have to say it it was in a different class. Sold it with 235k miles on the clock with all original mechanical components untouched other than service items.

I do like the way the X5 drivers;  I'm gutted how badly built it is for a premium brand.

It has full history; but to be honest, I've often found that to often be a bad thing. Previous Jag had 57k on the clock and full supplying dealer history, and was a mess of lose bolts and neglected service items.

Looks like I have a load of electrical gremlins to track down; most I suspect will be bad connections from what I have seen of the electrical connectors so far.

Weekends jobs are to finish replacing all the suspension bushes and links; most with poly bushes. Then replace the rusted brake lines with stainless lines. If time allows I have an EGR delete it to go as well, then time for a remap.

Once all the gremlins are sorted,  I will see how I feel about it after a month or so. If it's grown on me I might keep it for a while.

Again thanks for all the suggestions, hopefully subsequent posts will be more positive.

Russ

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:17 pm

The LandCruisers were indeed built to last, but then aimed at a completely different target market.  From my experience with the 'Amazon' variant 15 years back it was a beast but thirsty and soulless.

I think you have just been very unlucky with the one you found.  I hope that once the annoyances get sorted, you will think more of it.  Mine was a bad one from new in 2005 - built over the 2004 Xmas holiday - but the other two BMWs we have are fine.

Insight G40

Post by Insight G40 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:32 am

Wow, sounds like you've been very unlucky and ended up with a dog. I am a firm believer in 'Friday afternoon' cars, i.e. built with the assembler having his mind firmly on Friday night. Friend of mine bought a brand new 997 Porsche 911 which went through 4 clutches in 12k that was definitely and end of shift car.

I bought my 56 plate 3.0D Sport back in May with 84k and really happy with it, no issues so far, been very impressed with build quality and general engineering of it after 20 years of VW.

Hope you can sort out the issues and start to enjoy it soon, as you say very enjoyable to drive.
Last edited by Insight G40 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E53 Sept 2006 3.0D Sport

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Have bought 6 Toyotas myself & all have been registered & used in my household. They are well made but  I can't this make didn't leave me absent of any issues.

The tailgate issues on E53 can be a pain to sort and requires catch, mech, electrics bump stops even rubbers to all be good. If anything not spot on it can be troublesome & annoying to resolve. The metal on early rear clusters can oxidise easily. ( but can be easily sorted by cleaning up).

Genuinely curious  as to which Land Cruiser you owned (as the  name now refers to far more than the reliable 1st and 2nd gen Amazon) . I still maintain it is not possible to find a Japanese offering that has road dynamics reliability, tow ability & the road driving dynamics of the E53, (for equivalent used money). Toyota owned Lexus RX models comes closest if you excuse its tow ability and lesser driving involvement but RX300 lacks some power, 350 has higher emissions & a used RX400h has potential for battery replacement issues down the line if of a certain age. I can think of more modern alternative used & Japanese offerings but at a higher price.
Last edited by AW8 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:31 pm

i have to say tou have been unlucky but things like suspension bushes etc dont go overnight so you are partly to blame for not looking when buying, other than that quite what you expect buying a 12/13 year old car i dont know as its not, new and never will be so when buying older cars i always bargain hard and dont mind doing bits to them, i cant see how you can say bmw are a rubbish brand just because youve bought a lemon
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible