Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing bonnet release - handle to bowden cable junction

How-To articles ONLY go here.
Nick73

Replacing bonnet release - handle to bowden cable junction

Post by Nick73 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:03 pm

Im just posting this here, as when I was looking I found a few threads here and elsewhere that talked about tying bits of wire to the old one and passing it through the bulkhead.  It truth its way easier than that.

The plastic shroud around the bonnet release handle is in 2 parts, a smaller piece that clips into the bigger piece.  So

1 - unclip the cable from the bowden clip in the engine bay then remove the  smaller piece of plastic around the handle
2 - unbolt the handle from the mechanism (either 8 or 10mm cant remember)
3 - remove the larger piece of plastic surround.  No bolts some wiggling and it comes away.
4 - remove the black panel that sits above the accel and brake pedals (3 or 4 cross head screws and 2 plastic screws you undo by hand.  This has a light fitting and the front parking speaker (I think) that need unclipping
5 - with the plastic removed you can see all of the cable from bulkhead grommet to where the handle used to be. 
6 - unscrew the white plastic mechanism that the release hand bolted to
7- Push the grommet out from under the bonnet into the car
8 - remove old cable
9- feed the new cable through the bulkhead and pull through from the engine side to make sure its a tight fit
10 - connect to bowden cable connector
11- bolt new plastic mechanism to the inside of the car
12 - replace big plastic. handle, handle bolt, and small plastic cover in that order
13 -  refit black plastic shroud above the pedals

About 20-25 mins max and no looking for bits of wire poking through.

Hope this helps someone, and apols if its a repeat of an earlier post I never found!

Cheers

TheHerd

Re: Replacing bonnet release - handle to bowden cable junction

Post by TheHerd » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:09 pm

DOH!!!! My bonnet release cable just snapped 10mins ago!!!!

I am now searching all over the internet for ideas and how-tos. Looks like it's snapped just by the release handle inside the cabin so your information above could very much help......
(SOLD) 2006 BMW E53 X5 3.0d MSport 20" OEM Rims
20mm Spacers | LED Interior Lights incl NPlate | HID kits | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LED Angel Eyes | 2016 Maps | Digital TV | Upgraded AMP | Engine Remap | LED Tails | LED Side Repeaters | Subwoofer |

TheHerd

Post by TheHerd » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Ok, after calming down to a mild panic I think I might not be in as much trouble as I thought. From reading all over the place it seems I am really lucky the bonnet release cable snapped right behind the handle.

I've found the exact instructions of how to replace this section of the cable posted by a British lad on xoutpost.com: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/38848-broken-hood-release-cable.html
Scroll down to the post made by Seany.

I searched eBay and Amazon and found these cables to be priced around £30. Not cheap but I guess they running on supply & demand and when your cable snaps, you panic and buy one! Here is a link to the one I've purchased from a local UK supplier: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DO5GYS4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA is 26-28 April so I'm not going to strip the car now to see if I can open the bonnet when I don't have the replacement part yet. I also have a drive up to North Yorkshire on Monday for business and flying to Ireland for Wednesday to Sunday so will no doubt only tackle this little pesky job on bank holiday Monday...

To be continued...
Last edited by TheHerd on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20mm Spacers | LED Interior Lights incl NPlate | HID kits | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LED Angel Eyes | 2016 Maps | Digital TV | Upgraded AMP | Engine Remap | LED Tails | LED Side Repeaters | Subwoofer |

grumpywurzel

Post by grumpywurzel » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:27 pm

Good luck mate
2005 X5 3.0d Sport

Mods: Engine Re-Map, LED Angel Eyes, HID Upgrade, Cobra Quad Tip Exhaust, Pioneer Head Unit, E70 rear wiper   :) and a new Gearbox :'(

TheHerd

Post by TheHerd » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:45 pm

[quote="grumpywurzel"]
Good luck mate
[/quote]

Thanks mate, will keep you posted. #CrossedFingers

Nick73

Post by Nick73 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:28 pm

HI, if I was in your position again then go through steps 1-4 and you will see and easily reach the cable as it comes into the cabin. 

If there is any inner cable sticking out grab it with plyers and give it a pull.  But if thats not possible try pulling the entire cable it should still pop the hood easy enough!

Good luck too

ps if the second latch wont pop thats easy done with a tent peg...  :))

TheHerd

Post by TheHerd » Mon May 02, 2016 10:08 pm

UPDATE: job done, took no more than 30mins. Could have been 15-20mins if it wasn't so tight getting the rubber grommet in the firewall seated properly.

Very relieved!  ;)