Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

F16 X6 - M Sport or No M Sport - Suspension Question :)

jonolondon

F16 X6 - M Sport or No M Sport - Suspension Question :)

Post by jonolondon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi There - I'm about to buy a new model X6 (some fantastic deals about) and am considering a 4.0D SE. It has all the options I'd like however it's an SE, not an M Sport (which now seems to be the only default option on the BMW configurator).

I plan to do some fairly long distance driving with it, so the question I have is how much difference does the 'Adaptive M' suspension make in the Sport and is it really a must have ? I've seen a few threads on the X5 forum on this too.

I'm coming from a Cayman (!) so am going to be in for a shock either way but curious as to just how better is the handling and is the comfort mode as comfortable as in the SE ?

Many thanks in advance !
Jonathan

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: F16 X6 - M Sport or No M Sport - Suspension Question :)

Post by graemeX5 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi and welcome,

I have also looked on the BMW website and they only give you 4 options for the X6 all of which are Msport models,  X5Sport will know for sure about an SE model.  I guess if you were to go to BMW there could be more options available.

I think the adaptive M suspension is good but not essential in my view, but it's probably best to drive one with it v one without in order to be able to decide. Some forum members think it's necessary and others don't, and coming from a Cayman, the handling will be a revelation to you as to how two tons and nearly a 6 foot high car goes round a bend.

Also bear in mind there are also options in the wheel sizes which does make a big difference in the comfort level with the 20" with runflats are generally a harder ride or 19" which are softer but I like the car to feel firm rather than soft but that's me but that's on an X5 which is basically the same set up.

Hope that helps a bit

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

jonolondon

Post by jonolondon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:35 am

Cheers Graeme - really appreciate the note.

Yes this car is on 20" wheels but I've heard people on other forums say that the X6 feels more stiffly suspended than an equivalent X5 ? Has anyone driven them back to back I wonder ? I will try and drive an M Sport for comparison if I can...

Jonathan

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:46 am

You're asking about the F16.  I have the E71 and there were no special trims offered on the 1st Gen X6 so I can't help (this time).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Nat

Post by Nat » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:36 am

Hi,

SE is the way to go . I have X5 with Y214 20" wheels and option S225 Std suspension  and option P330 Sport package.

I regularly do Kent to Newcastle and I can tell you with the comfort seats its a great mile muncher.
I really think the SE suspension is much better than the M sport for our roads.
As for the handling...........I really don't think you will be disappointed at all whatever car you have come from.

Also , when it comes to resale if you are bothered, SE's are very rare esp with comfort seats. Certainly in the X5 mkt makes an SE much easier to sell.

Just my opinion.................

Regards,

Nat.

jonolondon

Post by jonolondon » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:37 pm

Cheers Nat - thanks very much for that - making me feel less anxious about an SE and IMO the car looks great on the optional 20' wheels - I think I prefer them to the Sport model wheels if I'm honest..

! I'm just heading back to my local dealer this afternoon so will keep you posted ! Happy to post some pics too if anyone's interested..

Cheers,
Jono

AlpinaB3S

Post by AlpinaB3S » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:22 am

Hi

I have an F16 Msport. You can tell the difference between sport mode and comfort but only marginally in my opinion. I have to say in the six months I have had it I have probably only put it in sports mode a handful of times And mostly just to have fun with the gearing rather than the suspension.

Comfort mode is more than adequate and as previously stated the driving is great. I came from a normal car (Mercedes CLS) and I was amazed how great it feels on the road. I also test drove the Range Rover sport and found that a bit wallowy by comparison.

I did have an X5 as a courtesy car for the day when mine was in the garage and I thought the driving was different to the X6 but that might just have been in my head.

I got mine on a great deal as it was a new car they had in stock and came with loads of extras that I wouldn't have ordered from the factory. The best one was the comfort seats with individual leather. The comfort seats are great :) if you can get one with those I would definitely recommend that. The surround camera is a nice touch too.

Hope that helps.

jonolondon

Post by jonolondon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi Guys - well I picked up my car this week and so far am absolutely delighted with it.. The standard Ride is very comfortable and probably ideal for long trips (I have a 850 mile trip next week!) and so far I've no complaints - sport mode seems to sharpen the steering (?) and throttle response but overall it seems to fit the bill of comfy luxurious 4wd mile muncher that will cope well with all weather conditions which is what i wanted..

I've had a couple of X5s before and this car seems plusher... the 4.0d is also quick! Quite a lot of standard kit too for a change..  (heated seats, etc).

Options that I didn't think would be top of my list (but I'm now really enjoying).. Heads-up display is very very good with Nav to the point where I don't even need to look at the map..

Harmon Kardon also very nice....

Less useful.. Soft-close doors ! (Why would you want these !?)
Park Assist - Seems underdeveloped and very fussy..

Cheers,
J