Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

changing faulty monitor

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
edviss

changing faulty monitor

Post by edviss » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:31 pm

hello, my widescreen Monitor have died in my x5 54plate, I was wondering are they all the same? I mean like where is all the info stored? its job only to show or does it store crucial data aswell? The only reason I`m asking is that some x5`s dont have bluetooth or a tv for example (mine does), if i buy a monitor from an x5 without those options, will I have to get them coded so it shows up? or will they come up automatically? thank you

Denis O

Re: changing faulty monitor

Post by Denis O » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:57 am

No coding. It's "dumb" so just plug & play.

You can use monitors from other BMW cars of the period except the e46 which is a slightly different design. My understanding is it will fit but won't look right. They are also rarer so more expensive.

I've heard that screens from left hand drive vehicles have optical differences due to your position when viewing but how true that is, I don't know.

Changing the screen should be a 10 minute job and no doubt there are instructions around on the old interwebs.
06 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC
05 Mercedes SL350

edviss

Post by edviss » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:18 am

Thanks for reply, as in my previous car e60, every single bit had to be programmed thats why im asking

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:53 am

Are you sure it has ''died'' ?
Frequently the connections to the board motor (screen) get dirty, remove head unit , remove the 2 connector blocks and clean the connectors with a spirit (whisky/brandy which will evaporate away) or a proprietory, electrical contact cleaner.(there are 2 more connectors insid thge unit as well.
Others on here will have more ideas : Sanj, X5sport and more.
Worked for me.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

edviss

Post by edviss » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:47 pm

so i went to a local scrap yard where they were breaking e53, apparently my screen was fine. As I tried another one and it was the same problem. What i have done then I removed theirs TV Module and replaced it and it started working as TV module has a video card in it for the monitor to work.

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:02 pm

The display on my X5 has several blotches of grey pixels...
is this also a potential dirty connection issue... or is the display simply knackered ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Try cleaning the ribbon first, but after that you need a new LCD.  It is a DIY if you can still get the display panels and are OK with microelectronics etc (steady hands, fine tools).

I think there might be a how to either on here or on Xoutpost.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:12 am

Yes there is a ''how to'' on Outpost, Sanj and I went into this quite deeply, also fitting Glass screen to the head unit.
This info may have been on the old defunct forum and all info was lost.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube