Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

This must be close to the biggest admission I've ever made !!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
jonnyivy

This must be close to the biggest admission I've ever made !!

Post by jonnyivy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Do I  dare tell you ????  Hmmmmm,... okay here goes,....maybe somebody else didn't know either ::::;;;;

I just realised that on the 6-speed automatic gearbox on my x5 that there is actually 3 positions on the gearstick for driving the car !!
First you have the basic "D" for normal auto driving...
then push it over to the left and it goes into automatic 'sports mode' ( I never knew this ) !!!
I always thought that once it was over there you had to push it back or forward to up gear or down gear,... I didn't realise that the ' sports mode' was an automatic mode and you dont touch the gear lever to select the gears ( thats the manual mode)
What a buffoon !!!
Now I realised (bringing it home last night) that 'sports' is for holding onto the gears longer for quicker accelaration..... and when you push or pull the stick it switches to 'M' for manual !!

There you go,.....  there's more than one dipstick in the car when I'm driving it !!!
Virgin owner of X5 3.0 D 2003 ( getting to know her better now )(thinking of a long-term relationship now )( sadly  now divorced !! )( 4 years later...met the newer model and happy again )

Colin

Re: This must be close to the biggest admission I've ever made !!

Post by Colin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Jonny  you have much to learn grasshopper ,
05 , 30d Le Mans Blue Sport

Nat

Post by Nat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi,

The gearbox god demands you repent and your penance is  5 sport changes and  and 10 manual ones................

Seriously , don't beat yourself up. Unless you read the handbook ( assuming you have one ) or someone shows you or  you read about it, there are many things these cars can do and you can go years without finding out let alone making use of them .

grumpywurzel

Post by grumpywurzel » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Apparently there is also adjustments on the throttle pedal  :P

Funny, mine doesnt have it, must be a digital one. Throttle close it fully open  :))

Never mind Jonny !
2005 X5 3.0d Sport

Mods: Engine Re-Map, LED Angel Eyes, HID Upgrade, Cobra Quad Tip Exhaust, Pioneer Head Unit, E70 rear wiper   :) and a new Gearbox :'(

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Something else for you too.  In 'Sport' you won't get 6th until doing 100+ and the anti-draft thing at the front of the sunroof retracts at near that speed.

Tested on a proper track of course Officer.......
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.