Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheels and tyres for snow chains for 2005 x5

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Upex

Wheels and tyres for snow chains for 2005 x5

Post by Upex » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:37 am

Hi folks,

Just joined as the wife bought a 55 plate x5 3.0d (e53 I think?) yesterday and could do with some advise from you gurus, as I've not got a clue about bmw or the x5, it's our first foray and thus far seems like a cracking motor.

Anyhow, we're off to the alps in feb and want to take the x5 now, but that means I need to have snow chains nd where my lack of knowledge kicks in.

The x is currently wearing 255/50/19 up front and 285/45/19 on the rear, which I think is fine and standard staggering (if not, at least works out with very little circumference difference). However the manual says chains can only be put on 235/65/17 which again is the same circumference.

So my questions that I could do with help with are:

Is it ok to run the smaller snow chains size tyres front and back, or do I need staggered sizes like she is now? If staggered, is the size quoted in manual the front back, and what is the other size?

I'll need to buy some 17 wheels, Web says 7.5J x 17 ET 40, but unsure if I've picked the right car. Is this correct or can you provide correct size please?

If above size is correct, I see the space saver spare wheels (spare in car is one) that are genuine alloys, not a small steel thing, advertised (both 5 spoke and the 10 v type spoke designs). Given these look like genuine alloys I'm not sure why they'd be called space savers, but I wonder if it's ok to drive on a full set of these? As these are pretty much all I can find in 17s, I'm thinking a set with the correct size winter tyres on would be OK, and can then fit the chains if needed. But unsure as they are described as space savers (is that because they are smaller than the normal wheels?)

Lastly, any advise on what I should be checking, ie common trouble areas, would be ideal as I'm slightly uncomfortable making a 2000 mile trip with a car I don't know yet. It's 130,000 miles but seems in good condition and drives much better than I expected it to, really surprised with how much it shifts.

Thanks all and sorry for long winded first note.
2005 (55 plate) x5 3.0d sport, auto trans, nav tv thingy, but no dsp.

Under a turbo swap presently (fingers crossed it fixes her!)

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Wheels and tyres for snow chains for 2005 x5

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:30 am

Welcome to the X5 fold.  There is a load of info on the winter tyres sticky in the general section you might wamnt to read.
You can, if you wish, use your current alloys and get appropriate winter tyres for them, then swop over again in summer -19" winters are of course more expensive than 18" or 17".  Or you can use 18" e53 alloys - these are non-staggered, 255/55R18 - easy to get tyres in this size and not too pricey, also easy to get snow chains in this size.  Or you can use 17" E53 alloys with winter rubber.  Just buy the snow chains according to exactly the same size winter tyres you have fitted.  Lots of sellers around on ebay, easy to find, no need to go for BMW stuff.  Also, any 17"or 18" E53 alloy style will fit, no need to worry about the exact one on the BMW site for the year and model of car.     
18" good quality winter thres cost about £100 each (non runflat) -I always used Vredestein Wintrac Extreme on a set of OEM E53 alloys 18" -bought  mine off ebay a few years back for about £150. 
My first E53 I bought a set of the original "daisy" style alloys (17") for £50!    But those were the days before winter wheels became the "in" thing! 

Hope you enjoy the E53, great cars.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Nat

Post by Nat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi,

+1 for the Vredestein Wintrac Extreme tyres.

If it were me , I would buy a second set of alloys which for an E53 is cheap enough and fit the Vredestein Wintrac Extreme tyres. I would use std sizes..........255/285 X19's .
I used exactly that  on my E53 when I had one , changed the wheels myself which was convenient for me  and I can tell you that an E53 with winter tyres in knee deep snow was unstoppable. Never got stuck once and had no control issues.  I am not sure when you would need snow chains but I have never used them as there was never any need.

Regards,

Nat.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:27 pm

I'd go for 17" wheels. dead cheap off ebay and the tyres will be more reasonable, I've had them on for several years and the ride is so much more pleasant, the 17" tyre also seem to cut through snow better.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:28 pm

Just found this advert just what you need.

eBay item number:132065709441

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-E53-Wh ... SwjDZYe4hS
Last edited by Alan Gunn on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Upex

Post by Upex » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Cheers for all the replies folks, much appreciated.

I think I want 17s as the winter wheels, thinner tyres better in snow and the manual says it's only the 17s with tyre size I quoted that can take snowchains, must be a clearance thing on the bigger wider trees, hit them issues before.

Thanks for the link, I'd buy them if we're closer (or they delivered) and they were 17s. Just dare not run bigger than manual says, as although unlikely to need to use chains (but must have in car to be legal and be allowed up or down some areas when weather bad), it'd be my luck that I do need them and end up tearing the car apart as too wide with chains on.

So having looked for 17s, there are these that appear right size, but they are the space savers (really?). Is it ok to run on a full set of them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182423707937

Thanks for all the help folks, much appreciated

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 pm

The standard spare is a 17" rim.  Base model cars came with 17" all round.  The boot space wasn't big enough for the wider 19" and as they were staggered, which size would you want?  BMW called it a space saver but it wasn't.  Cars with 19" or larger wheels were speed limited with the spare due to the size difference, but it is a normal wheel & tyre.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Upex

Post by Upex » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Cheers x5sport, that's along the lines of what I was thinking, but as new to the car, wanted to get some input, before shoving the old gal on a set for them to buckle out beneath her lol. Many thanks for your confirmation, big help and I can get looking now.

Cheers for input on tyres all, not overly familiar with winters, so will check out those quoted.

Thanks everyone, reassuring to know there lots of support out there, as I'm sure to be needing more help later, like fixing the sometimes working, and other not, volume rotary dial on the sat nav.... seems to like turning up most of the time, but down not so often, good job the steering wheel buttons are fine lol.

Thanks all

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:37 am

Link didn't work in my first post.

eBay item number:132065709441

max

Post by max » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 pm

I've sent you a PM about winter tyres, as I have an unused set of BMW winter tyres/alloys that would suit

Upex

Post by Upex » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:02 am

Cheers max, just replied.

Thanks for input all and help with links etc, the search is now on lol

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:55 pm

BMW also sell snow chain sets
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Upex

Post by Upex » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:48 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
BMW also sell snow chain sets
[/quote]

Bet they cost near the cost of the car to lol