Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auxillary Heating

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
kanewesley

Re: Auxillary Heating

Post by kanewesley » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Thats why it's not legitimately in the menus on the car and BMW will not activate it.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:22 pm

I remember being able to add it as an option in 2004, and it was also an option on the petrol models too - Condor has it on her 4.8is.  Had to be specced at build.  I think it was about £850 at that time.

Presumably if specced you got a 'C' instead of the default 'Z'.  It is completely legal to have it and use it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:54 pm

If you can't do it go to one of the meets and someone with 1.4.0 scanner will do it for you

Smee

kanewesley

Post by kanewesley » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Oh !!!!...where are the meets?....is there one in my region Howden area East Yorkshire. ?

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:18 am

Go back to the main menu, scroll down near the bottom of the page, left hand side.

There is a large and looming clue waiting for you there. It says "Meets/Events".

I have a sneaky feeling that the info on events might be in there. Might be wrong of course.

Get to know your forum.

Smee

chrisn7

Post by chrisn7 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:48 pm

I have a Webasto factory fitted in my 2006 X5. I also fitted a petrol version in my '99 750, which is an even earlier Thermotop 'S' model, and required a huge amount of research, not mention the rebuild and installation

From the many images I have seen, the C and Z versions appear to be the same, and sometimes a unit has both on, with a Webasto label often Z,  and a BMW part no label showing, say, C.

For the E53 there is an auxiliary water pump, nowhere near the Webasto, but low down close to the radiator.

The PCBs have been problematic as a foam material was used to support capacitors on the board, and this attacked other components. Mine was not fully functioning, and I also traced it to the PCB, and replaced it with a repaired one off ebay, and no issues since.

As observed, the first time it fired up successfully, there was quite a lot of smoke that cleared after a couple of short journeys.

marinaman

Post by marinaman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi
just to add what i found out, i got the Webasto manual, link below, this explains all about c and z types.
i was baffled as on another forum  the chap stated he got his going with V1.4.0.  all it is is a cable and cd ,  works a treat. £20 off ebay.  i have a Z , i enabled it with software and it shows in the menu. on direct heat  it starts on a cold engine but stops after a couple mins. i havent had time yet to delve, but i have a lot of info from the eberspacher unit on our old Sharan whcih again is one that fires when the engine starts with outside temp below 10c but by bridging the sensor you  fool the heater , run it to an on off swtich and if engine is cold and above 10c it will still fire the eber unit.  thats what i was looking to do with this webasto.but not had replies as to location of sensor.
also  seems there should be an auxillary water circulation pump so the C version will pump it around the heater and engine.    link to webasto z and c    http://www.elektromobily.org/w/images/1 ... o.pdf    note  this seems to describe the standard  C and Z but not the added pcb of BMW who have altered it and added this circ pump.
Last edited by marinaman on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B&B by the sea in sunny Bridlington, best rates for members  :) www.themarina-bridlington.com

marinaman

Post by marinaman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Oh dear,  think i muddled up the wires on the heater,  i was tryng to get it going, i thought the 12v signal for the heater went to the centre block with the thick brown wire and red/yellow. i tried 12v on there but nothing.
now i found its the much thinner white green wire in the next block,  what are the 2 thick wires then , anyone know,  it did work for a few mins before i started pottering but now  12 v onto the pin 1 does nothing.  fuses ok. the pcb inside on top looks all shiny and newish but who knows. no signs of burn out, i tested the circ pump  at least that still works,  wonder if i have fried something,  :'( 
B&B by the sea in sunny Bridlington, best rates for members  :) www.themarina-bridlington.com

kanewesley

Post by kanewesley » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:40 am

Good Info. Chrisn7, there are indeed 2 types of Webasto and one certainly has a pump and hte other does not.
Didnt know there was a re-circ aux pump elsewhere so I might try and switch in in now with DIS (if I can work it out)
I didnt think there was any point if my Webo unit didn't have a pump on but now I know about the aux. pump it might be worth a go !

**** But if anyone can walk me thro' enabling it with DIS ...... :( ****

chrisn7

Post by chrisn7 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:09 pm

[quote="marinaman"]
Oh dear,  think i muddled up the wires on the heater,  i was tryng to get it going, i thought the 12v signal for the heater went to the centre block with the thick brown wire and red/yellow. i tried 12v on there but nothing.
now i found its the much thinner white green wire in the next block,  what are the 2 thick wires then , anyone know,  it did work for a few mins before i started pottering but now  12 v onto the pin 1 does nothing.  fuses ok. the pcb inside on top looks all shiny and newish but who knows. no signs of burn out, i tested the circ pump  at least that still works,  wonder if i have fried something,  :'(
[/quote]

The heavy brown is the earth. The heavy red/yellow is the main power supply. You should be looking at the oval 6 pin connector which is clearly marked with the pin numbers.

Thegolfking

Auxillary Heating

Post by Thegolfking » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:24 pm

I use mine I can set on screen auxiliary heating
Car toasty hot in morning

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Auxillary Heating

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:01 pm

2017 thread! You had yours added at build in that case.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.