Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing the battery

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
stevo6

Replacing the battery

Post by stevo6 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:59 am

Just wondering if there are any members on here that would be able to code/register a new battery for me?  I am near Reading.  I'm happy to agree a cost - even going to the local indy seems very expensive to me...

Cheers

PokenH00D

Re: Replacing the battery

Post by PokenH00D » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 am

Anyone with that module purchased for Carly will be able to.
I'm near Nottingham otherwise I'd sort it.
2010 E71 X6 40d. Pearl Silver Metallic.
Carly Pro

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:45 pm

I had the battery replaced a year ago.  Cost from BMW main dealer of BMW battery was £148 fitted and coded with 2 year warranty which was £5 more than my independent mechanic could have got a Bosch equivalent for - then he'd have to fit and code it.  It's worth getting a quote...

Graeme

stevo6

Post by stevo6 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:41 pm

[quote="Graeme"]
I had the battery replaced a year ago.  Cost from BMW main dealer of BMW battery was £148 fitted and coded with 2 year warranty which was £5 more than my independent mechanic could have got a Bosch equivalent for - then he'd have to fit and code it.  It's worth getting a quote...

Graeme
[/quote]

My local (very good) indy want £327.  Of that £79 is coding and £20 labour.  Seem like quite a lot to me....

pcdee

Post by pcdee » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:50 pm

I bought a varta h3 agm from ebay for £103.  It comes with a 5 year warranty.
I coded it with carly.  The whole process took about 20 minutes and it was my first time changing a battery.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
X5 E70 3.0D SE

celica

Post by celica » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 am

[quote="Graeme"]

Graeme
[/quote]

I assume a non AGM battery at that price?

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:26 pm

yes, AGM.  Exactly the same as the original fitted  - part numbers taken before new one ordered, and I asked for and was given the old one back.

Graeme

stevo6

Post by stevo6 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:37 am

Still need to get this done.  Anyone in Reading area with a Carly ?
Cheers

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but why has a X5 got to be coded ??? i have had to re-code a radio in a car when the battery is changed and reset the clock,but is it due to the X5 having so many computer related equipment ?? Gut feeling tells me its something along these lines.
2006 '56 BMW X5 D M SPORT LE-MANS EDITION

http://www.hideones.info

PokenH00D

Post by PokenH00D » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 am

The "coding" registers the battery to the car.
As I understand, it syncs the battery state to the car some car always provides the correct charge and returns the correct diagnostics.
Please feel free to correct me if this is incorrect.
2010 E71 X6 40d. Pearl Silver Metallic.
Carly Pro

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:07 am

BMW Battery Registration

BMWs need to know when you replace the battery, battery capacity and battery type must be registered! YOU DO NEED TO REGISTER battery replacements on BMWs with an IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor).

Why register the battery replacement?

After installing a new battery, the service function ‘Register battery replacement’ must be run. The registration of the battery replacement is required to inform the power management (software in engine electronics and intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery was installed in the vehicle. If the battery replacement is not registered, the power management will not function properly and can lead to functions being limited by individual electrical consumers being switched off or having their power consumption reduced. Power management will charge the new battery as if it’s the old worn out battery, causing premature failure of the replacement battery.

Important! If the new battery is not registered, incorrect readings may appear in the display of the on-board computer due to old data in the power management system (check control message ”Recharge battery” appears even though the battery is new).

I love Google!
http://www.bimmerscan.com/bmw-battery-registration/
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

touring

Post by touring » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Whilst I agree the battery should be coded to the car, I replaced the battery on my 40d without coding it and ran it for nine months until I sold it, I had no problems or issues in that time.
Mark

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:28 pm

What it can end up doing is overcharging - and therefore reducing the life of the battery - if you change the battery type.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:44 pm

It looks like I will be buying a battery in the next few weeks/months as the battery warning light shows up if listening to the radio with the engine off after only a couple of minutes.
Eurocarparts price seems to be £350 before any discounts, but for the same battery from Tayna its only £175.
Anybody used Tayna for buying batteries?
Anybody bought a battery and then got a dealer to code it? How much did they charge?

jagr

Post by jagr » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:21 pm

[quote="Nictrix"]
It looks like I will be buying a battery in the next few weeks/months as the battery warning light shows up if listening to the radio with the engine off after only a couple of minutes.
Eurocarparts price seems to be £350 before any discounts, but for the same battery from Tayna its only £175.
Anybody used Tayna for buying batteries?
Anybody bought a battery and then got a dealer to code it? How much did they charge?
[/quote]

I used Tayna a few years ago and they dispatched quickly and the battery was good for 6 months.
I then contacted them about warranty and I had to pay them to collect the battery to test it. It failed there tests and they sent a replacement but this took 4 days from collection to return.

Since then I will only buy a battery locally as the savings made can disappear if you have a problem later on. Also I am fortunate to have a second car to use while this was going on, if not I would have had to hire/borrow use taxis while it was being rectified.
2011 BMW X3 30d M Sport