Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag symbol showing on dashboard..........

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
RickUK

Airbag symbol showing on dashboard..........

Post by RickUK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:25 am

In a previos post over the weekend i changed the door handle carrier on the drivers door and everything finally is working,i have one slight issue with the airbag light showing on the dashboard which was not on prior to the door carrier problem.

My question is that everything has been checked with the airbag ie that the plug was firmly back in before replacing it into the door,would i be right in assuming that because the battery was dis-connected for some time i would need to clear the airbag code ?? then in theory it should all be right again.

I dont want to put the door card back on and then find that i need to strip it back down again,i am pretty certain that clearing the code should do the trick,i would do it straight away but having trouble with loading the software onto my laptop for my new diagnostic port thingy.

So will bite the bullit after breakfast and put the door card back in and then when i sort the new software issues out i will clear the code and see if the airbag light goes out.Took great care with the airbag as i did not want to damage it.

Will report back later today when the job is finally finished.
2006 '56 BMW X5 D M SPORT LE-MANS EDITION

http://www.hideones.info

IanP

Re: Airbag symbol showing on dashboard..........

Post by IanP » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:29 am

When I have had the door cards off in the past I just left the airbag connected, as I was told disconnecting them would throw a fault code as you have found, Clearing the fault code should sort things.

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:35 am

[quote="IanP"]
When I have had the door cards off in the past I just left the airbag connected, as I was told disconnecting them would throw a fault code as you have found, Clearing the fault code should sort things.
[/quote]

Ian,terrific news if that makes sense,that will allow me to carry on putting the door card back on then when i get my software issue sorted will clear the code.

Was almost 100% certain that would be the case.

Thanks again
2006 '56 BMW X5 D M SPORT LE-MANS EDITION

http://www.hideones.info

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:45 am

[quote="IanP"]
[/quote]
It happened to me on my Golf when fitting an aftermarket headunit, I had removed the trim panel under the radio and the climate control unit to aid in getting all the wiring to sit right in the dash so the headunit wasn't crushing anything. I disconnected the battery to do the work but hadn't replaced the trim with the passenger airbag warning light on it
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

strummer

Post by strummer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:21 am

when removing an airbag it is best to pull the fuse first to prevent the warning on the dash coming on